Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potato Cake Recipes

Options
  • 02-06-2010 9:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

Anyone know any good recipes for potato cakes? I'm thinking of just mashed spuds with onion, butter and seasoning fried off in patties. Should I be putting egg in the mix? Or coating with an egg wash and bread crumbs?
    And can anyone suggest any nice additions for flavour?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

I make very simple potato cakes with mashed potato, flour and a bit
    of melted butter.

I use about 2 oz flour, for 8/10 oz potato, season and shape into cakes.
    Fry until golden.

The Odlum recipe is similar but uses an egg to bind. I dont bother with
    this, but some people like it.

http://www.odlums.ie/index.php?page=potato-cakes

After that you can flavour them with anything onions, herbs, bacon, mustard, pesto.
    I love smoked mackerel in them.

I just read the bord bia recipe above. It looks nice, but it's made from raw grated potato, so it's not really
    a traditional Irish potato cake. More like a rosti.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I don't put egg in mine either, just mash, flour (2oz per lb of mash), onion, salt and pepper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Beetlebum

olaola wrote: »

In this recipe are the potatoes cooked and then grated or are they grated cold and uncooked?

If they are cold, would they bind well enough to shape into cakes?

Would you serve these with bacon for breakfast or with dinner?

Thanks!

Advertisement