Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skype on 3G

Options
  • 02-06-2010 9:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭

I live in a place that doesn't have a landline or broadband. I've a couple of friends abroad who use Skype and I'd like to be able to talk to them using it. So I was thinking about getting a mobile phone (not sure what sort of one yet) that I could install Skype on and use it that way.

So basically I'm asking would that work? As a mobile internet user, I know how inferior it is to proper broadband. I did try a long time ago talking to someone by MSN by webcam using the mobile internet dongle and it was a disaster. All laggy and..well you get the picture :rolleyes: Another thing to mention here is that I will not go anywhere near 3 who, as far as I know, are the only network who advertise Skype as a feature of their phones.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Yes, it works, quite well.

I'm using the N900, as is a co-worker, and we have no problems with Skype on 3G. (I should point out we are not in Ireland)

Both of us are using the N900.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

I agree, works fine!

Skye is now an app on newer Nokia phones - I can't remember which ones off the top of my head, but I know that the ones with the fully qwerty keyboards support it eg Nokia E63. And these phones are cheap on bill pay. I've used it on the e63 and through 3g and was very suprised by how good it was - and typically I don't have much love for skype at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Firetrap wrote: »
    Another thing to mention here is that I will not go anywhere near 3 who, as far as I know, are the only network who advertise Skype as a feature of their phones.

Why won't you go near them? I was once of a similar mindset but now that I've tried them out for a while its now clear that I was very wrong.

3 don't just advertise Skype as a feature, they are the only network that you will be able to use Skype for free on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I had their mobile internet for a year and it was a nightmare. Both the service itself and their customer service staff. At the end of the contract, I vowed never to give them one more cent of my money :mad:

Anyway, thanks everyone for your help :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

I find Skype poor on my phone, as the quality out and about and lack of decent signal :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

jordainius wrote: »
    Why won't you go near them? I was once of a similar mindset but now that I've tried them out for a while its now clear that I was very wrong.

3 don't just advertise Skype as a feature, they are the only network that you will be able to use Skype for free on.

Well you can use it on any phone if you have unlimited internet :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

angel01 wrote: »
    Well you can use it on any phone if you have unlimited internet :D

Unlimited internet which is never actually "unlimited", and can usually only be got through paying for an add-on, or by signing a contract with a large monthly commitment! Its free with 3, end of!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

jordainius wrote: »
    Unlimited internet which is never actually "unlimited", and can usually only be got through paying for an add-on, or by signing a contract with a large monthly commitment! Its free with 3, end of!

Well the three version of skype is free from them.

Advertisement