Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damaged kitchen worktop and my deposit

Options
  • 02-06-2010 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm moving out of my rented house in the next month after 2 years.

During that time, I damaged the kitchen worktop after placing a hot pan on top of it (the worktop is the cheap wooden type with plastic type covering). This resulted in melting part of the plastic covering, a hole about the size of a bottom of a tea cup.

The landlord is saying that the entire worktop will need to be replaced because of this damage.

Now I fully admit that this damage was my fault etc. but I'm just worried that the landlord will try and take the mick and over-bill me for the replacement, which for all I know might be solid marble! And so bye bye my entire deposit.

Any thoughts/opinions on how I could limit my exposure here and at least get some of my deposit back?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

your entitled to a copy of the recipt for the replacement or the quotation details. Make sure you get this so you can ensure the amount being deducted matches the damage done

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

Yes, but the damage done according to the landlord will require 8 feet of a kitchen worktop being replaced for what amounts to slight damage of the surface.

Just annoys me that after 2 years of renting and looking after the place that I'm going to lose my entire deposit over this.

Am I entitled to dispute the cost if the quote doesn't involve replacing the surface for the exact same material?

Yes, but the damage done according to the landlord will require 8 feet of a kitchen worktop being replaced for what amounts to slight damage of the surface.

Just annoys me that after 2 years of renting and looking after the place that I'm going to lose my entire deposit over this.

Am I entitled to dispute the cost if the quote doesn't involve replacing the surface for the exact same material?

well in fairness hes entitled to have it the same way as it was before. He doesnt have to patch it up. The same way if you hit somebodies car they would be entitled to have the work done to bring it to the same standard.

Having to replace the whole worktop might sound extreme but sounds very plausible to me.

as for disputing the cost if the same material isnt the same it might not be possible to get the same. Now obviously it it was wood and he was quoting you for marble or something then fair enough, but if its just a similar alternative then no you dont really have a reason to dispute it.

Now you can go to the PRTB if you wanted to but you would be wasting your time IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

Well, to use your car analogy, the paint on the car door is scratched and the person wants the car door replaced. That to me sounds extreme!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭aero2k

Well, to use your car analogy, the paint on the car door is scratched and the person wants the car door replaced. That to me sounds extreme!
    That's an inappropriate analogy. If, as I suspect, you're talking about a post-formed Formica worktop, then the heat-damaged layer of Formica is not repairable. You could strip off the old layer but you need factory equipment to bend the new layer over the curved front edge. Much quicker and therefore cheaper to buy a new length of worktop. Labour cost will depend on whether, for example, it needs a cut-out for a sink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Stupid analogy. You can usually buff out a scratch on a car - you can't do that with a formica worktop. And you can't expect him to replace a small part of the worktop so it ends up looking patchwork-y. Of course the whole section must be replaced. You can be sure if this was YOUR home, YOU would want the entire section replaced!

Just ask to see the receipt for it and be more careful in your next property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

aero2k wrote: »
    That's an inappropriate analogy. If, as I suspect, you're talking about a post-formed Formica worktop, then the heat-damaged layer of Formica is not repairable. You could strip off the old layer but you need factory equipment to bend the new layer over the curved front edge. Much quicker and therefore cheaper to buy a new length of worktop. Labour cost will depend on whether, for example, it needs a cut-out for a sink.

I assumed formica was fairly strong and wouldnt melt too easy, sounded to me like its just a cheap laminate over mdf or similar. Either way, its not a patch job and the whole thing will need to be replaced.

If as the OP says its just a cheap worktop, make sure the landlord doesnt use this as an excuse to replace it with something fancy like natural stone!

might sound extreme but there entitled to that. they dont have to get it panel beaten in your anology. You have to suck it up. same with the worktop

Advertisement