Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Comprehensions

Options
  • 02-06-2010 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

We haven't done much on comprehensions, I was somdering if anyone has any tips? I don't even know how long the answers are meant to be! :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Megsy

I usually try to keep my answers to about 3/4 of a page to a page.

Our teacher told us to look at the marking schemes. For any 15 mark questions you should try and pick out 3 points. Each of those points will be worth 5 marks.

For the 20 mark questions you're usually asked to pick out 4 features of whatever type of passage it is, be it an argumentative/persuasive piece, narrative etc.

Here are some features you might look out for in argumentative/persuasive passages:

Ability to relate to audience/readers. Does the author make an effort to gel with the audience?
    Use of personal pronouns. especially we.
    Use of lists.
    Use of anecdotes.
    Sarcasm and humour.
    Direct Speech.
    Adjectives and adverbs used.
    etc.

For narrative:

Dialogue and direct speech.
    Plot and storyline.
    Character Development.
    Setting.
    Humour/suspense etc.
    edit: oh and I should add in use of the present tense, that's a good one. Keeps the reader interested in the story.

Hope that helped!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭!?!

yep thanks :D any advice on the part Bs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Megsy

For part B's just basically take any of the points listed above and try to incorporate them into it! Make out a little plan for it and try not to spend too long on it. It's only worth 50 marks compared to 100 in the big scary essay haha!

Advertisement