Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever Met The Stars....

Options
  • 02-06-2010 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭

So, lets get a thread going, and talk about experiences meeting members of bands at different gigs. Without setting out to badmouth people you can talk about how you met them, what you had to do to get there (keep it clean ladies lol) or just generally if you were in the right place at the right time....tell us about the time and the place

I've been fortunate enough to meet some great band members throughout the years, mostly through Journalism work, but my fondest memories have to be Gilby Clarke in the Village in 2006, Faith No More (the entire band) in August 2009 in Edinburgh - although Mike Bordin stands out as the coolest - and Machine Head, minus Adam, most recently in Newcastle in Feb 2010

The hardest to meet were Faith No More, they gave no press interviews, so I stood outside in the parking lot at the back of the arena until 2am that night and shared stories on Ozzy Osbourne with his drummer! Bordin even offered some of us a lift home that night, should have taken him up on his offer...and for some reason Al Murray was there as well lol....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

Me and ScienceNerd met Gus G. from Firewind after some old guy was hassling him at the bar of the Button Factory, talking about Gary Moore during his time in Thin Lizzy I think it was? :p I can't really remember what we talked about but he was a sound enough guy and we got a ****ty photo with him to remember the night by. I actually can't remember where I put it but I'll dig it up somewhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Met Roger Glover at the Purple/Skynyrd show in 2002. We were on our way to the point and spotted him walking our way. Being a huge purple fan, I approached - never as nervous before - he was an absolute gent. I regret to this day not having a pen or camera, but we talked for a few minutes, asked him how the others were etc (it was one of their first shows since Lord's retirement).

During the gig we got up the front doing...whatever it is you do up the front. After highway star, Roger spots us in the crowd, walks to the front, waves, gives us a big thumbs up and threw us a pick :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Only band/band members I've ever met were Rise Against back when they played the academy, and George "Corpsegrinder" Fisher after heading over to England to see Cannibal Corpse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

Denny M wrote: »
    Only band/band members I've ever met were Rise Against back when they played the academy, and George "Corpsegrinder" Fisher after heading over to England to see Cannibal Corpse.

Did Tim sign your t-shirt?
    Cos if he did then I remember me and my friend talking to you at the gig asking how you manged to meet them:pac:

Never met anyone myself unfortunately,but have a picks from different gigs.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

storm2811 wrote: »
    Did Tim sign your t-shirt?
    Cos if he did then I remember me and my friend talking to you at the gig asking how you manged to meet them:pac:

Never met anyone myself unfortunately,but have a picks from different gigs.
    Nah, not my T Shirt, signed my ticket though, I still have it in my wallet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

All of QotSA...few times, Aaron North from NIN, Tim wheeler(:o) where we talked bout Pumpkins in the SFX, Eagles of Death Metal once or twice, singer from Nine Black Alps, Biffy Clyro...think has been few others alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I've met Nightwish numerous times at various gigs. I met them for the first time in Helsinki at the launch party of Dark Passion Play and thereafter about 4 times on the DPP tour. I've met Within Temptation 4 times, twice at arranged meet and greets and then just after gigs in the Netherlands. I've also met Epica 3 times, including a great nights partying with them! I recently met Diablo Swing Orchestra after their gigs in London, but they are not really well known, so they literally jumped off the stage and mingled with the crowd after the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Met Aerosmith in 1993 at a record signing in HMV in Grafton Street on the day of their show at the Point. Got there early and was in pretty quick and met all the band. My main memory of it was that most of the band were very cool,took the time to say hello,sign whatever you wanted,particularly Steven Tyler who looked like he could have stayed there all day talking. However,Joe Perry came across as a dickhead tbh,looked like he'd no interest in being there was throwing shapes like he was the big rock star.

Also met Faith No More at a record signing in the Virgin Megastore on the day of their show at the Point in November '92. The que to get in was as bad as any mosh pit i've ever been in. Pure chaos when the doors opened. Got all their autographs but to be honest they weren't the most interactive band when it came to talking to their fans. Big Jim was the most talkative of the lot and was making light of the 'one item to be signed only' rule by signing guitars,tits and anything else put in front of him!:)

I didn't have a camera with me then so the only memories are in my head(sorry kids,no mobile phones with cameras back then!:pac:). Have bumped into a couple of others over the years. Bumped into(literally) Kerry King and Tom Araya outside the Arlington Hotel on the day of the Tattoo the Planet gig in 2001. Just said hello and keep up the good work.:)

Met Janick Gers from Maiden after their show at the Point in 2003. We'd headed back into town looking for late scoops and ended up in the tourist trap otherwise known as the Oliver St. John Gogarty in temple bar. About 20 minutes after we got in Janick Gers arrived in on his own and just stood at the bar having a few pints of Guinness. A few fans went up and got their gig tickets signed and he seemed pretty sound. Bought him a couple of pints.:)

IMG_20100602_111233.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

Met Joe Satriani.. The most insanely nice, down to earth dude imaginable

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

EirK Ruton - with Morbid Angel really nice lad, as was Andreas Kisser when I met Sepultura.

Others were: Dino (Fear Factory), Shane Embury (Napalm death), all members from 'Sigh'.the lads from Onslaught, Candlemass, Watain, Dissection (RIP John) and obituary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

been pretty lucky over the years - must have a proper sit down and thing about this one.......but off the top of my head......

Steve Harris (Iron Maiden) - think it was also after the Point show in '03 - we had the inside information on that one though, former work colleague's brothers were good mates with the band and we got a text to let us know he would be in ClubM (the thinking was there would be less hassle for him there).....he was very cool about us interrupting his pint (never like interuppting people who are winding down after work) and had a quick chat.....

Joel O'Keefe (Airbourne) - in Whelans had a pint with them after their first gig here, Joel hung around with us from ages and we had a good chat about Lizzy and stuff, very genuine guy....

Mike Muir (Suicidal Tendencies) - after last Suicidal gig in Temple Bar Music Center, again ticket signed and quick chat....

Mark Osegueda (Death Angel) - again Temple Bar Music Center, by luck hitting the jacks as he arrived and got the ticket signed, quick chat and happy days....

Shane Embury (Napalm Death) - gave the lads our seats in Bruxies and had a quick chat while getting stuff signed......very sound.....

Scott Ian (Anthrax) - just in the general mill outside the Gresham back in '88 I think, could have been '87 - got Scott Ian to sign the 12" Mad House picdisc across the pic of himself........poxy ink ran a bit but I know he did it....

Jeff Scott Soto (Talisman, Journey, Soul Sirkus) - met and signed stuff after the gig in the Empire in Belfast

Danny Vaughn (Waysted, Tyketto) - had a good chat with him after his acoustic show in Issac Butts and then again in Belfast at the Tyketto show...

CJ Snare (Firehouse) - met him at the Danny Vaughn show I think......he took the time to talk to me even though he wasn't playng and was just there with the missus...

will add later as I remember stuff (if I remember stuff)......

Nightwish wrote: »
    I've met Nightwish numerous times at various gigs. I met them for the first time in Helsinki at the launch party of Dark Passion Play and thereafter about 4 times on the DPP tour. I've met Within Temptation 4 times, twice at arranged meet and greets and then just after gigs in the Netherlands. I've also met Epica 3 times, including a great nights partying with them! I recently met Diablo Swing Orchestra after their gigs in London, but they are not really well known, so they literally jumped off the stage and mingled with the crowd after the show.

Still hate you. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Ozzy Osbourne! the king of metal imho! :D

cant get a pic up though :( wont let me on this!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

been lucky myself over the years, either through work or sheer brass neck.

In no order:

Pete Steele: saw him walking up grafton street so stopped him for a chat, happily gave me an autograph.

Joey Tempest (Europe) Nigel Pulsford (Bush) Jared Leto (30 secs to mars) Rick Allen (Def leppard) all came into my work.

All of Sikth, sound lads, Mikee is a tad touched.

Chad Smith, Taylor Hawkins, drummer from QOTSA, Nick Oliveri after the SFX drum clinic a few years back, played doubles pool with Chad and Taylor passed me a joint.

Terry Bozzio after another drum clinic

Guys from Green Carnation.

Adam and Justin from Tool (and less than a minute of thier soundcheck) also lovely guys.

Interviewed Devin Townsend from SYL and brought Gene Hoglan to fibbers and got him pissed. both lovely guys

Joe Satriani, 3 times, last two times along with the band for engines of creation tour.

Steve Vai

Ian Kenny from Karnivool

Slayer (with Bostaph) minus Tom in fibbers....shared a urinal with Hanneman

Cyclefly

All of fear factory, Dino took me through a tour of his guitar gear and i watched the soundcheck from the side of the stage.

Andy from Therapy?

John Sykes and Scott Gorham from Lizzy. Sykes walked into the bar and said (and i quote) "where are the chicks?"

I think there may be few more, but thats about them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,642 ✭✭✭✭wolfmoon87

been lucky myself over the years, either through work or sheer brass neck.

In no order:

Pete Steele: saw him walking up grafton street so stopped him for a chat, happily gave me an autograph.

Joey Tempest (Europe) Nigel Pulsford (Bush) Jared Leto (30 secs to mars) Rick Allen (Def leppard) all came into my work.

All of Sikth, sound lads, Mikee is a tad touched.

Chad Smith, Taylor Hawkins, drummer from QOTSA, Nick Oliveri after the SFX drum clinic a few years back, played doubles pool with Chad and Taylor passed me a joint.

Terry Bozzio after another drum clinic

Guys from Green Carnation.

Adam and Justin from Tool (and less than a minute of thier soundcheck) also lovely guys.

Interviewed Devin Townsend from SYL and brought Gene Hoglan to fibbers and got him pissed. both lovely guys

Joe Satriani, 3 times, last two times along with the band for engines of creation tour.

Steve Vai

Ian Kenny from Karnivool

Slayer (with Bostaph) minus Tom in fibbers....shared a urinal with Hanneman

Cyclefly

All of fear factory, Dino took me through a tour of his guitar gear and i watched the soundcheck from the side of the stage.

Andy from Therapy?

John Sykes and Scott Gorham from Lizzy. Sykes walked into the bar and said (and i quote) "where are the chicks?"

I think there may be few more, but thats about them all.

Soo jealous :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

I've always considered myself crap at getting to meet people, but I have met one or two over the years:

The only person I met and actually plucked up the courage to ask for a picture was Karen Cuda of Nashville Pussy. She actually took the pic herself (using my camera) and is obviously well-used to standing beside grinning idiots when having her picture taken! :)

Steve Rothery of Marillion in the bar in Vicar St after their 2004 gig there. Chatted for a little while while excitedly jumping up and down inside as I've been a fan since the beginning. Have met a couple of the other guys very briefly as well.

Met Jason and Warner from Jason & The Scorchers after their Academy gig in 2008 (I think) and got the ticket and a CD signed. Very underrated band and proper gentlemen to boot.

Met Nils Lofgren (E-Street Band) after a solo show in Vicar Street and got a t-shirt signed which I still intend to frame at some point. Another lovely guy, very unassuming.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Met Paul Masvidal and Tymon Kruidenier from Cynic after their gig on Vicar Street. Paul gave me a scabby tiny love heart on my cd in red pen on dark blue background, bang on guy though !

Got my ticket signed, picture taken and had a few shots with Amon Amarth in Fibbers after their gig in the Academy.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Got to meet (well, not meet so much as stand there while they spoke to other people) Stone Gossard who signed my ticket and got a good gawk at Eddie Vedder and Boom Gasper too. That's about it :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Mark Osegueda (Death Angel) - again Temple Bar Music Center, by luck hitting the jacks as he arrived and got the ticket signed, quick chat and happy days....

Met him at the same gig. 2004 - The Art of Dying tour? Nice guy, really chatty.

Steve Vai - Before his last gig here. He had a cold but was in good form and is a real gent.

Mikael Åkerfeldt - On Dawson Street before their gig here with Cynic. Nice guy - stopped and chatted with me for a few.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Me and ScienceNerd met Gus G. from Firewind after some old guy was hassling him at the bar of the Button Factory, talking about Gary Moore during his time in Thin Lizzy I think it was? :p I can't really remember what we talked about but he was a sound enough guy and we got a ****ty photo with him to remember the night by. I actually can't remember where I put it but I'll dig it up somewhere!
    4506_87225980994_669425994_2347789_4406794_n.jpg

Dr. Poca was there too, took the pic

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement

Yeow! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

Met Metallica in Edinburgh when on the Master of Puppets tour. We were hanging around on the afternoon before the gig and took a walk down to the stage door. They were unloading beer from a van. What makes it memorable was it was only 2 weeks before the bus crash

Met Bigelf on the Progressive Nations Tour last October in Glasgow. After their set they mingled with the crowd and posed for photos, signed autographs etc Really genuine dudes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Met Aerosmith in 1993
    Met Airbourne in 2008

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I've been going to gigs since i was 13 and attended Doningtons Monster of Rock in 1985.

Since then i've been backstage at most festivals and loads of gigs, and have met nearly everyone worth meeting in Metal.

Being backstage at a festival really doesn't bother me know as i realised that ya tend to miss a LOT of the bands on the bill, as sometimes i couldn;t be arsed tearing me arse away from the bar.

Here's a few of my more memorable encounters over the years.

LEMMY

I was writing a rock column for the North Wales Pioneer in North Wales and got some free review tickets for Motorhead in Manchester, tried getting an interview wit Lemmy but was told he was doing no regional press at all on the tour.
    Got to the gig and tried blagging an interview, only to be told no chance, told the tour manager to tell Lemmy we were from Llandudno, and if he agreed we'd be in the bar.
    Less than 5 minutes later, tap on the shoulder and Lemmy wanted to meet us, first thing he said was "So is Llandudno still as **** as ever!!"
    Spent an hour with him, just chattin about our mutual home town and drinking, what a fcukin cool guy.
    Worked as a roadie for a very short while, and was helpin out Breed 77 at the RDS about 6/7 years ago, we'd finished by 3pm so stayed backstage in free bar, Motorhead we're headlining, Lemmy recognised me and we got smashed again :D:D

Iron Maiden

Radio 1 over in UK used o hold a big comp called 31 Days in May, big prizes, 1 a day.
    I won in 1991, prize was spend the day playin paintball with Iron Maiden and Thunder, all booze paid for by EMI ;)
    Only Bruce and Jan turned up for Maiden, but all of Thunder did, was an awesome day, Bruce was a bit of a tit though, he wanted to win everything, and was like "Go this way, flank them here etc"
    A few of us couldn't be arsed and just shot the shiit out of everything that moved, much to Brucies annoyance.
    As the band didn't all turn up they organised for me and a mate to go backstage on a tour in Manchester, met them all before and after, also ended up on stage singing chorus to Heaven Can Wait.

PEARL JAM

I moved over to Dublin 4 years ago and needed a job for a month till my main job was available, ended up as night security at The Point, August 2006 I think it was.
    Turned up for first shift, 5pm - 8am, and Pearl Jam were in there rehearsing for Euro Tour, played a 2hr set to around 20 people :D:D
    The band were way beyong fcukin cool, Eddie was skating around the floor on his board. When the band and crew left for night i couldn't resist a quick go of the drums :D:D
    Next night i worked the gig, which was awesome.
    Was given a fully signed 10x8 promo pic and a tour itinarary by some nice record company girl.
    Before i quit working for SEGI i also done some Marley Park gigs, was on the door to Band Production/Management for SnowPatrol, told not to let anybody in without a pass, fair play to this guy who i told no chance, he didn't say "Do you know who i am", apparently it was Gary, teh singer from SnowPatrol :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ozzy

Blagged backstage at the first Re-union gig in Birmingham, Poor Ozzy didn't have a fcukin clue what day of the week it was, picked up this large bit of folded paper to get some auto's, got it signed by Ozzy, Geezer, Tony and Bill (Plus Henry Rollins who was there for MTV)
    Opened it up when i got home and the paper was only full design and schematics for the crosses shaped lighting rig. Probably only less than a dozen ever made, and it's full signed, result :D

Metallica

First time i met these, my fav band, was backstage at Dynamo, Holland in '99. Managed to blag a pre show meet and greet pass, this was before they got the meet and greets down to an art and was very much a let down, only Jason and James came out, we were told no pictures and 1 auto per member. Pretty crap.
    Around the same time Kerrang held a comp askin for Metallica fans to come to London to interview the band, about 8 of us were picked, we went to some swanky hotel, i think it was a PR tour of Garage Inc, Lars and Kirk were doin it, but the night before Kirk got struck down wit Appendicitis and was in hospital. Lars was ok, a bit of a dick but ok.

Record Companies used to give out 10x8 promo pics of bands, i took to getting these signed and now have a pretty big collection, i'll post them when i get chance

Some other totally cool people i've met

Dave Grohl, Green Day, Slayer (Got hammered wit Paul Bostoph at Ozzfest UK), Nikki Sixx

Complete and utter tools (or they were when i met them)

Logan Madder - Ex Soulfly, really thought he was an A-Lister and was strutting around like some sort of demi-god, complete plank

Phil Anselmo - When Pantera headlined Dynamo, '98 i think, he was smashed and there performance was woeful, before and after the gig he was just an arrogant dick to everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

Wow ... Scudzilla is boards.ie's very own Mick Wall !! :D

The only time I ever got backstage etc was at Megadeth / Alice In Chains / The Almighty in The Point abour 91-ish :confused:

anyway , ended up back at the Pink Elephant for the aftershow party - Megadeth didn't show up but AIC and The Almighty did - ended up chatting with Layne Staley who was out of his bin and was asking me if I could get him some "blow" ... he reached into his pocket and took out about 57p in change ... I told him I had some and did he want to get a joint together , to which he replied "no man ... blow !!!" ... I was a bit naive back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

aERO.jpg

bLACK.jpg

lED.jpg

MAIDEN.jpg

ozzy.jpg

PJ.jpg

Forgive the mullet, twas a long time ago, in a country far far away (England)

PAINT.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

The only thing I have signed is a Small Victory Vinyl, signed by all the members of Faith No More 2009....oh and Gilby Clarke's auto of course

But I have got a collection of some cool SWAG including DJ Ashba's Guitar Pick from Guns N' Roses and Phil Demmel's pick from Machine Head

6449_277600595144_810160144_8657638_1959174_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Kerry King is sound, he signed my ticket outside the Ambassador in '05. Then I got chatting to Jeff Hannemann for about 10 mins, very sound guy, horizontally laid back Californian dude.

Brann, Brent and Bill from Mastodon are nice guys too. Met them at the same gig. Don't know where Troy was.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Dark Artist

I've met Tuomas Holopainen, Marco Hietala and Jukka Nevalainen from Nightwish. I've met all of Epica and Stratovarius also. That's about it but I'm fairly happy with how it's going so far!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Sepultura - Had a beer with Paulo and met the rest of the band outside the SFX.

Metallica - met James and Lars outside the Westbury in 93(?)

FNM - met all the band in the Westbury and got autographs. Spotted Patton in a medical bookshop behind the hotel and spoke a bit to him about Bungle 92.
    Met Jim Martin in Temple bar before the GNR slane gig and chatted briefly.

Therapy? a few times after gigs.

Crystal Swing - they're tied up in my dungeon , twitching a bit , Derek is doing the hucklebuck.

Advertisement