Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would appreciate help in buying a van.

• 02-06-2010 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 39

I'm starting up my own little gardening business and I need a little van, like a Renault Kangoo or a Citroen Berlingo.

I don't have much money, about 2g's and I'm just wondering whats good mileage for a van of that price?
    Also what other van related buying tips can you give?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,702 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

If you can stretch your budget, and bargain with a dealer a bit then something like THIS would be ideal for you.

There are loads of them around at the moment so that should help you get a deal price wise, they will have a very comprehensive full service history (and they will have been well looked after, service wise). It's also Green which will fit your gardening business.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Kitsune9tails

Thanks that looks good and it gives me a good basis to begin with. I really have to try and keep to the budget though cuz then theres the insurance and road tax etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Donal199

Some dirt cheap partners and berlingos up north, and its only 50 euro to change the plates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

We have FIAT Doblos at work. They're one of the most under-rated vans on the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

R.O.R wrote: »
    If you can stretch your budget, and bargain with a dealer a bit then something like.........

36000 miles is small for a 06, but It'd be a lot of stop-start driving.

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »

But it will probably have had the clutch replaced at least once already! I was at the leasing company that looked after these, when the tender came in. The servicing on these vans is at half the time of the manufacturer's recommended intervals. Even down to stuff like door hinges - how many open/shut's should they last for. If it's 4,000 then the hinge gets replaced at 2,000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭the merchant

An Post per chance??

An Post per chance??

Deffo - that's why there are loads of the little green monsters around. Were all replaced this year and the massive amount available used has killed the value of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭the merchant

I actually saw one break down in Whitehall, Dublin last week. Overheating with a loud knocking moise coming from the engine - OUCH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭balcan

For your kind of work i'd be looking at a Citroen dispatch type van.Fit 2 wheel barrows side by side no problem where in a berlingo you'd be lucky to get 2 in stacked.And 2 side loading doors are a god send.1.9 slow but bullet proof,2.0 hdi plenty power but more to go wrong.Just bought a 02 Dispatch hdi for 2k,Needs new tank fuel pump but other wise a nice van.It's hard to find a secondhand van that has not been dogged.Good luck with the new business.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

I'm starting up my own little gardening business and I need a little van, like a Renault Kangoo or a Citroen Berlingo.
    I'd say step it up to a Transit SWB.
    They're cheap to buy and run, they last more or less forever, and you could probably use the space for carting around a lawnmower / wheelbarrow / decking timber / whatever / all of the above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭balcan

Maybe something like this.Central locking a must with 6 doors.Mine has none and a right pain in the arse.

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/commercials/1348016

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If my local postman is anything to go by I'd avoid them. He revs the crap out of his Ford Connect, going from house to house he speeds up, then slams on the brakes outside the next house which is only 100 meters away. Slams it into reverse then when he has to find his way out of the cul de sac. I'm expecting to find the gearbox on the road one of these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

As already said if you do go berlingo stick with the 1.9, it is far more reliable.
    I has one!
    Got mine recently. 78k, clean 05, 2500 euro.

There are definitely bargains out there.

We have a SWB Low roof Ducato and equivalent transit with 2.0 engines that are absolutely brilliant machines. They'll do everything you want and lots more. There are tons of sizes and shapes to choose from that could work out far better for no greater commitment.

This kind of thing.

View2?id=3165266

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

cantdecide wrote: »
    We have a SWB Low roof Ducato and equivalent transit with 2.0 engines that are absolutely brilliant machines.

... Because they're PSA ( peugeot /Citroen ) diesels ;)

Saab Ed wrote: »
    ... Because they're PSA ( peugeot /Citroen ) diesels ;)

Ya, and far nicer to live with than the Ford, IMO

Advertisement