Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MTB: soft saddle or padded shorts

• 02-06-2010 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

I don't really like the saddle that came on my bike and am looking for advice please. Would it be better to change to a softer saddle or just buy padded shorts. I know the shorts can be quite expensive. The problem with the saddles is that you don't know what they are really like until you go for a few spins on the bike. It is mostly trail riding I will be doing.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Shorts. Soft saddles generally only feel good in the shop - after a couple of hours they're miserable.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

Thanks for reply Morgan, I was thinking the same. In the shops there is so much choice of saddle but I just know if I was to hammer around the mountains I would be still in pain if I got the softest one.
    Anyone recommend a shop in Cork or Limerick to get cycling shorts. How much should a decent pair cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,743 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Theres been a bit of discussiion on here lately about saddles & I believe that soft/gel/spongy saddles aren't all that comfortable in the long run. A thin lightweight saddle can be more comfortable than a big soft thing.

Body geometry is the most important aspect to think about.

As usual I will advise that I think the Charge Spoon is great - cheap, good looking & comfortable. http://www.evanscycles.com/products/charge/spoon-saddle-ec008616

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Theres been a bit of discussiion on here lately about saddles & I believe that soft/gel/spongy saddles aren't all that comfortable in the long run. A thin lightweight saddle can be more comfortable than a big soft thing.

Body geometry is the most important aspect to think about.

As usual I will advise that I think the Charge Spoon is great - cheap, good looking & comfortable. http://www.evanscycles.com/products/charge/spoon-saddle-ec008616

Aye have the spoon as well, decent saddle, haven't had any problems with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

Can these saddles be bought in Ireland or is it mail-order only

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,743 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

kakee wrote: »
    Can these saddles be bought in Ireland or is it mail-order only

I think mostly web - wiggle or evans. But Cycleways are agents for Charge in Ireland & might be able to get one in. You could certainly try one there as they have a couple on bikes.

Advertisement