Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda census?

• 02-06-2010 11:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭

I dont know where to put this,sorry if in wrong place.If in wrong place could a mod please move to right section.
    Thanks Casey:)

I was wondering whats a Garda census when they block roads,and ask where you are coming from and where you are going?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭spoonface

caseyann wrote: »
    I dont know where to put this,sorry if in wrong place.If in wrong place could a mod please move to right section.
    Thanks Casey:)

I was wondering whats a Garda census when they block roads,and ask where you are coming from and where you are going?

I think you answered your own question:

Q: I was wondering whats a Garda census

A: when they block roads,and ask where you are coming from and where you are going?

Maybe your real question is why it's done? To catch suspicious people just after an incident has occurred e.g. a robbery in the area etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You might explain a bit more about what you've seen.

The Garda habitually ask people where they are coming from and going to (a) as a means of starting a conversation (b) to see if the person reacts abnormally (c) to give instructions to avoid somewhere, e.g accident / incident (d) as a means of harassing criminals and dissuading them (e) to carry out traffic surveys and the like (computerisation makes this less necessary than previously).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

spoonface wrote: »
    I think you answered your own question:

Q: I was wondering whats a Garda census

A: when they block roads,and ask where you are coming from and where you are going?

Maybe your real question is why it's done? To catch suspicious people just after an incident has occurred e.g. a robbery in the area etc.

Exactly as above.
    You encountered a Roadblock....as spoonface said something had possibly happened in the area and the Gardai were trying to find "persons of interest" OR they were simply carrying out random breath tests to catch drink drivers.
    Asking the driver a few questions can often give the Garda an indication of if you have been drinking by your reaction or smell of alcohol off breath and they can then ask you to take a breathalyser test.

Gardai don't carry out census's...The census is done every few years by the Central Statistics Office and there's a form dropped into every home in the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Thanks guys.
    Yes sorry i meant why is it done?
    Well there has been a spate of attempted child abductions in around the area i was driving through.
    I was thinking could it be related to that.But wasn't sure because the person asking the questions was just accompanied by the Gardai.
    It was a road block on the saggart road,Just up from the school.There was cones in middle of the road and about 4 Gardai stopping only particular cars as far as i could see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I've seen these being undertaken by local county councils in order to profile patterns of commuting. The questioners are civilians with clip-boards but they need the guards present in order to stop the veh-icles.

• Advertisement

I've seen these being undertaken by local county councils in order to profile patterns of commuting. The questioners are civilians with clip-boards but they need the guards present in order to stop the veh-icles.

Thanks :) That sound plausible. The traffic along that road has increased immensely over the last few weeks.

One thing that baffled me is they only stopped particular cars though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

Surely that's a waste of Garda time using them to help local councils ask drivers questions.....why not just employ scantily clad models with signs saying :
    Honk once if your average daily commute is less than 10km
    Honk twice if your average daily commute is more than 10km
    HONK THREE TIMES IF YOU'RE HORNY !!!
    :pac:

AFAIK the taxi regulator inspectors also need Gardai presence to stop taxis on the road (the can inspect taxis at a rank on their own) and these guys and Customs officers are the only 2 groups I've ever seen accompanied by Gardai at checkpoints !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

i assume this road block had a "census " sign on it...I reckon they just used any sign they happened to have and there was no census as such going on...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

No way would i discribe it a waste of time, remember its not just a survey they're at, you can be sure theyll be glancing at tax/ins/nct aswell and on the look out for known/wanted people!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,471 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Theres been a few of these in Limerick. Caused traffic chaos at rush hour. The census was run by a 3rd party, the Gardai were there to ensure you pulled in and didnt attack the census people.

• Advertisement

Theres been a few of these in Limerick. Caused traffic chaos at rush hour. The census was run by a 3rd party, the Gardai were there to ensure you pulled in and didnt attack the census people.

People will attack them :eek: thats just sad :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭drakshug

Was it during the School run? They've been targetting unaccompanied learners on the school runs for about a month. The only other times I've come across it is for DD checks and for road safety, having a look at your tyres and at, of course at this time of the month for expired tax discs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭ElBarco

There's been quite a few of these around my area the last few days. I was stopped today and asked who was asking the question he helpfully told me his name but after a bit of clarification he told me he was working with the RSA on behalf of the the council - something about the feasability of new roads.

Official looking garda signs on approach and gardai manning the checkpoints. No sign of them checking tax or whatnot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭Doodah7

I think this is to do with the proposed upgrade of the N81. The council have appointed a company to carry out an analysis of traffic patterns along the route and on side roads.

I assumethe Garda is there to ensure the safety of those carrying out the census.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

tallpaul wrote: »
    I think this is to do with the proposed upgrade of the N81. The council have appointed a company to carry out an analysis of traffic patterns along the route and on side roads.

I assumethe Garda is there to ensure the safety of those carrying out the census.

I ended up in that one yesterday.
    Was explained by a guardi what was going on and asked if i minded to answer a few questions.
    It ended after 2 questions because i was just out for a bit of sight seeing and i had the impression they were only interested in commuters or other regulars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

ElBarco wrote: »
    There's been quite a few of these around my area the last few days. I was stopped today and asked who was asking the question he helpfully told me his name but after a bit of clarification he told me he was working with the RSA on behalf of the the council - something about the feasability of new roads.

RSA - Road Safety Authority or RPA - Railway Procurement Authority?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭ElBarco

Victor wrote: »
    RSA - Road Safety Authority or RPA - Railway Procurement Authority?

RSA. It was on the n81 near Brittas so I don't think the RPA would have too much interest (unless there is some brave new plan!)

On one of the vans there,it had courts on side,i didn't see the rest.
    They recently have put strips across the roads at certain sections also.
    Could it be testing how many cars pass along them routes?

Advertisement