Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Swords Club League 2/6 Clonalvey

• 02-06-2010 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭

First time outing of the season for my least favourite course of the year tonight. As Beasty pointed out don't bring good wheels some pretty poor road surfaces.

Hope to cycle over and back to sign on. Nice and bumpy with some very slow corners too. Yeuch.

Did I mention I don't like this course?

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

shaungil wrote: »

Did I mention I don't like this course?
    You told me you really enjoyed going up the 3 sisters 4 times in one evening:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭Staro

This is a lumpy one all right, more suited to the lighter rider. Does anybody know where it will finish? @ the school, one the straight before the turn to the 3 sisters, which was the finish @ Christmas or on the hill on the 3 sisters?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Beasty wrote: »
    You told me you really enjoyed going up the 3 sisters 4 times in one evening:D

That was before he was married and really should be discussed on another forum......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

3 sisters on the big ring.......

I didn't start this btw.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

3 sisters on the big ring.......

I didn't start this btw.

Hope you gave the "bike " a good wash after. Can get quite mucky up there..

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Staro wrote: »
    This is a lumpy one all right, more suited to the lighter rider. Does anybody know where it will finish? @ the school, one the straight before the turn to the 3 sisters, which was the finish @ Christmas or on the hill on the 3 sisters?
    Website says 3 and a half laps which would suggest the school, but then again last week's course was subject to last-minute changes

I really don't fancy going down that last bit (when turned off the Naul Road) in a large bunch with riders starting to jockey for position - I think I would prefer to hang off the back and try to steer my way around the craters...

Website says 3 and a half laps which would suggest the school, but then again last week's course was subject to last-minute changes

I really don't fancy going down that last bit (when turned off the Naul Road) in a large bunch with riders starting to jockey for position - I think I would prefer to hang off the back and try to steer my way around the craters...

Hate that course as well but the finish by the School if much safer.
    Should be fun.....

Any special outfits this week Beasty

This is a lumpy one all right, more suited to the lighter rider.

That rules out pretty much everyone in Group 2 then - we do manage to shelter each other pretty well in the wind though;)
    RobFowl wrote: »

Any special outfits this week Beasty

I may be tempted ....

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭mc2000

That rules out pretty much everyone in Group 2 then - we do manage to shelter each other pretty well in the wind though;).

@RobFowl, Beasty - a group2 plan of action is called for: I suggest:

objective1: world domination
    objective2: stay away from group3 - N
    objective3: all of the above

Any special outfits this week Beasty[/QUOTE]

something as Amoosing as the last one please:P

• Advertisement

something as Amoosing as the last one please:P

It'll be the udder one tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

This is a lumpy one all right, more suited to the lighter rider

How is the Raam going these days?

It cud n't be worse.

At this stage you are milking these tops please no more bull.

It must be hard to steer wearing it and it looks light you must be fresian wearing it.

Raam went wellin BOTR 2 weeks ago and has just done Mizen to Malin (or reverse). Was suprised he had some power on the last lap and made us suffer but then he rolled off.

How is the Raam going these days?
    Excuse me, this is a bovine discussion - please do not bring sheep into it:D

mc2000 wrote: »
    @RobFowl, Beasty - a group2 plan of action is called for: I suggest:

objective1: world domination
    objective2: stay away from group3 - N
    objective3: all of the above

Or "hold on as long as possible lads"
    (the advice given to an Irish team at the worlds according to a friend)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

My favourite course. Alas, I cannot attend this evening. Extremely busy in work. I hope the race is good.

Jaysus am shattered. Cycled over with glenamaddy who decided to do a hammerfest for a warm up. some might say it's karma but I was well warmed up. Group 3 was huge despite about 5 lads moving or being moved back. About 10 in group 4 with me. Glenamaddy continued in his earlier vein and went off the fron like a madman. I decided to try and work a bit more efficiently this week and save myself for hills. Still had a few nice stints off the front for fun but nothing silly (well bar one go which I didn't realise and had to sit up) Pushed myself hard on the hills and was pleasantly suprised going over in 2rd or 3 rd each time. Staro did tell me I was grinding once and I moved down a gear and it worked well as I passed lads. I don't know if it's laziness or concentration but I shoul probably focus on spinning more.

A few lads missed turns as no marshalls on one corne and a car did turn onto us at a T-junction which was a little hairy. But no damage done. We caught bodies thoughout and the groups seemed to be well broken up. Scratch caught us with a half lap to go but I conciously tried not to chase breks and keep the legs spinning as I had worked hard. Staro even did a few turns! If Jimbo was wearing Columbia gear he rode well but went through too hard a few times(like myself) and we nearly got away a few times.

Got caught off the front and tired myself out near the end but got a second wind as we got near the finish. I presumed we hadn't caught all the grups in front but we had so someone who did no work got the win I think. Ah well still a great workout and happy with a good hard session and able to climb a bit better than I had been.

Beasty crossed the line in a heap and couldn't speak. If he had a heart attack I would have given power stuff a good home. Hope he's okay.

I'm fine (I think!) - just really pushed as hard as I could up that last drag to the line to make it look as if I had been trying:)

Largish Group 2 again, but we dropped some after about half a lap (on the second hill). That left around 10 of us sharing the work. I glanced down at the normalised power after that hill, about 15 mins into the race, and it was showing around 350w average, which was way too high. The rest of that lap was largely in recovery mode although I still managed to take a few turns at the front.

By the 3rd lap I was really struggling up the hills, and then working hard to get back on, so my stints at the front were more spasmodic. I think I was starting to pay for the early efforts, and may have done better if I had sat at the back a bit more to recover. On the flat I felt I could really get the pace up, but each hill was getting progressively harder.

With with about a lap and a quarter to go, I became detached again, but could not get back on again this time. I pushed on past the finish line and eventually caught 2 other stragglers, just before the groups behind caught up. I still had my own group just about in sight, but should probably have eased off so I was fresher when the other grouips caught. I stuck with the enlarged group as they swallowed up the remnants of group 2, and just about managed to hang on up the penultimate hill. Unfortunately the effort up that hill meant I stuggled to stay in touch along the naxt drag, and I dropped off the back. I resigned myself to a solitary last half lap or so. I managed to catch one person who had also been dropped with about 1km to go, and decided to push it from there, particularly over the final drag to the line (hence my state of exhaustion at the end)

Distance - 42.0km
    Time 1hr 15m 36s
    Average speed 33.3 kph
    Total climbing - about 500m
    HR - average 165, max 179
    power - average - 288w, normalised 295w

I hit power peaks between about 30s and 1m

I'll put more stats in the training log later this week

EDIT - I understand Staro (again!!) and Jimbo28 were in the points - congratulations guys

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭mc2000

Holy undulations batman that's a effin' savage course. Some real nice tight right-handers, a real nice one at the bottom of the hill after the church after Clonalvey, where I lost the run of myself and found myself a bit too far over the road on the last lap going round the right hander, nearly said "hello" to a car - Note to self: cars and bikes not a good mix for bone preservation.

Started in group 2, even the first time up the draggy bits on the main Naul road the group was pushing a bit, but most in the group managed to keep the heads a bit sensible and not blow it to smithereens within the first 2 miles!

Then off the main road, onto the cyclo-cross bit, nice bit of braking at the sharp left before the kicker up the hill, and on up and up to the school, tough section that, think it tailed off some folks, but at least you're going up so you don't notice the tight bends as much. Over the top, nice sharp lefthander and down the descent with a real nice blind right hander at the very end of it, when you're flying. This was actually a part of the course where the group2 got strung out a good bit, splintered into 2's and 3's and not until we were nearly back at the Garristown road did the group really get back into a rhythm again.

The whole first lap was savage, I thought I was going to pack the whole way around it, just not warmed up properly I think [although a bit hard to "warm up" for that circuit :D)

On the 2nd lap, on main road group got working a bit again, some lads very strong. Kept it all together on main road, and on up to the school again, felt a bit better this lap. Again flying down the descent group strung out again and took another while to regroup, started working again on the Garristown rd.

3rd lap, on the Naul rd, we start catching bits of the group ahead, and one lad screams off on his own! I think he thought we were only going up the hill 3 times [as opposed to 4] and off he went. He caught one lad out of the group ahead, but then we just kept working a bit and caught him anyway. So we're back onto the cyclo cross bit again, and then up the hill, and he takes off again bursting for the line at the school, at which point he promptly pulls up and stops! :confused: Rest of the group goes by him, to complete the race. Down the descent, bit hairy coming round the right hander with an oncoming car, but we got thru fine and no harm done. Onto the Garristown rd again, and the other groups catch up with us.

So speed goes up a bit, grab onto the bunch, and am able to hold them along the whole of the drags along the main Naul rd, down the turn off at the cyclo cross bit - get to the left hander at the bottom and: uh-oh, seeing stars, crystals cannot take it captain, drop off a bit at the back. Tried to get back on, but elastic broken and they're flying, so pushed it as much as I could to get to the line.

Happy enough with effort, and how I got on when with my group; also glad to get that course done so it is "imprinted" into the PAIN/pleasure sensory parts of my brain :eek:

Asthma, hills, pollen, excess weight and being off the bike for 2 week until deciding to do 100k yesterday ...

Result shelled out towards school on lap 1.

Application for Golf club on my desk :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭jimbo28

savage course lads, loved it, but one hell of a race. good speed in group four but again same guys doing most of the work.could easily have stayed away from the scratch if we had got a good work ethic going.me and shaungil worked ok at one stage but [EMAIL="F@!K"]F@!K[/EMAIL] me, you would need to be a savage to stay away from the main bunch. got stuck in no mans land at one stage inbetween shaungils move and the bunch and probably expended a bit of energy. thought i might have something in the legs at the finish but they were empty. also nearly **** myself when i saw that car coming around the corner at me...........picked the wrong time to go to the front!! really enjoyed it last night and looking forward to the open race next week. thanks again to all the marshalls and organisers, really enjoying this league.

mc2000 wrote: »

Started in group 2, even the first time up the draggy bits on the main Naul road the group was pushing a bit, but most in the group managed to keep the heads a bit sensible and not blow it to smithereens within the first 2 miles!

Then off the main road, onto the cyclo-cross bit, nice bit of braking at the sharp left before the kicker up the hill, and on up and up to the school, tough section that, think it tailed off some folks, but at least you're going up so you don't notice the tight bends as much. Over the top, nice sharp lefthander and down the descent with a real nice blind right hander at the very end of it, when you're flying. This was actually a part of the course where the group2 got strung out a good bit, splintered into 2's and 3's and not until we were nearly back at the Garristown road did the group really get back into a rhythm again.

The whole first lap was savage, I thought I was going to pack the whole way around it, just not warmed up properly I think [although a bit hard to "warm up" for that circuit :D)
    We definitely pushed far too hard on the first lap - as mentioned above I was recording something approaching 350w normalised power for the first half lap when in other races this season it has been nearer 300w. Average speed for the first lap was 34.4 kph, and we managed to drop some decent riders.

I am not sure who was pushing it (it wasn't me this time, but I do hold up my hands to doing this in a couple of earlier races, purely as a result of naivety). It wasn't any of the "regular" triers either - I think we were all feeling it a bit on the first lap. Bottom line was it was counterproductive, resulting in some of us wasting energy to get back on, particularly on the second and third laps, meaning we were unable to contribute as much later This resulted in an overall drop in speed leaving us struggling when we were caught.

I know one or two pushed it up the hills - I even did it myself a couple of times when I had the momentum going - I guess we should perhaps have made more of an effort to re-group, rather than pushing on at the front. Hopefully we'll learn our lessons for next time - I know mc2000 and one or two others in the group were calling for this at the time, but it did not seem to register with some.

Video of the finish...

Now we have the video, can anyone confirm the placings?

Nice pose by the unplaced shaungil btw

Now we have the video, can anyone confirm the placings?

There was some debate between the judges over the top 4 places at the finish line, those on the left of the finsh saw a different race from those on the right!

There was some debate between the judges over the top 4 places at the finish line, those on the left of the finsh saw a different race from those on the right!

Still not settled :rolleyes:

Jim C has video of the race from in front of the line. I saw it and looks like a dead heat TBH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭Staro

Not sure if there are points for sixth but I think that guy was a lap down???

Not sure if there are points for sixth but I think that guy was a lap down???

He was disqualified on that basis, if protests will be re-disqualified for "irregular sprinting " :D

He was disqualified on that basis, if protests will be re-disqualified for "irregular sprinting " :D
    He was hanging onto my wheel for getting on for half a lap as I was trying to reattach myself to group 2. When it became clear I wasn't going to make it he dropped off to join in with the larger bunch! Never once gave any indication of doing an ounce of work - just wheelsucked all the way (obviously until the final sprint!)

Results are up on the website now

• Advertisement

He was hanging onto my wheel for getting on for half a lap as I was trying to reattach myself to group 2. When it became clear I wasn't going to make it he dropped off to join in with the larger bunch! Never once gave any indication of doing an ounce of work - just wheelsucked all the way (obviously until the final sprint!)

Results are up on the website now

He did that to me in Ardcath last year was tailed off over the hill the last time and me and another lad rode our hearts out and almost got back on . Didn't but he still sprinted for the line to finish ahead of us (after oing not a bit of work) for about 20th place !

Note he was credited with only 2 points for Wed :-)

FTR

Staro is now leading the club league....

Marked man now ;)

He did that to me in Ardcath last year was tailed off over the hill the last time and me and another lad rode our hearts out and almost got back on . Didn't but he still sprinted for the line to finish ahead of us (after oing not a bit of work) for about 20th place !

Note he was credited with only 2 points for Wed :-)
    I could understand it if he had come up alongside me and said he was out of the race, and didn't want to be helping anyone (and then stayed a bit further behind me). If I had been a lap down I would have tried to TT it, rather than find the easiest wheel to get me round. But he really bugged me as I thought he was in the race, and I probably ended up pushing harder to try and shake him off.

Then why would he get involved in the sprint? Even if he knew he was not going for any points, he could have interfered with those who were going for them!

the other angle. JM for me on this.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwQ-6cJiG6E

the other angle. JM for me on this.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwQ-6cJiG6E

Lighting and angles considered I think a dead heat would have been fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

CSI investigates...

69hohu.jpg

• Advertisement

Lighting and angles considered I think a dead hat would have been fair.
    The only thing I can tell from that video is I was at least 2 minutes down!

Given that on a TT you could be virtually a full second apart and still be given the same time and points, unless there was a clear result (and I don't think either video is clear) I agree with you RobFowl

is it where the front wheel breaks the line or what? I know it was discussed before but my brain is too small to rem this kind of stuff.

Right wheel is going faster on line so possible wheel on left broke it first.

Advertisement