Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike for a 6 year Old

• 02-06-2010 11:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Looking for advice on getting a bike for my 6 year old lad who is quite tall. He is cycling without stabilisers etc. - and it's time to move away from the Smyths type bikes.

Was thinking of a BMX - something like this Good value??

Looking to get a few years out of it too!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Some recent discussion here.

Depends on what it's going to get used for.

As a general hack bike a BMX is a good choice (and for proper BMX use, obviously). We have one that sits outside permanently. Totally rusted up, but still works fine.

Not great for actually going places though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Ah would just be used for "around the road" - looking for something solid and something that he will get a few years out of.

Was thinking MTB too - but BMX would probably suit better. He doesn't need gears etc. - could go down that route for his next bike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭Greyspoke

Would probably agree with the BMX choice for just knocking around. A reasonable quality one will be pretty indestructable (and no gears to go wrong). Also, they tend to be more a one size fits all type of bike so he wouldn't grow out of it so quickly. I'd definitely advise against a cheapish full suspension mtb as it will weigh a ton and has a lot of unnecessary bits on it to go wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

Oh, not the thread I thought it was, here was me thinking I could trade in one of my nephews for a nice new bike..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Mods ban this user now!! :)
    Junior wrote: »
    Oh, not the thread I thought it was, here was me thinking I could trade in one of my nephews for a nice new bike..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭multifunction

Santa brought 2 BENIN 20 to our 6 year old twins.He got them from
    ISLABIKES.We and the twins think Santa made a great choice;)

Advertisement