Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man vs Food???

Options
  • 02-06-2010 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭

Anybody watch this show on sky? I think its on uk food channel.

Don't know if its stupid or brilliant but every time i watch this programme i end up starving & have to make myself a sandwich or something.:D

mmmm......5 pound burger.:pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Yeah, I can't help watching it either. Not sure why the guy isn't fatter!!!!
    I loved the one on Portland. I want to go to there.

NYOM!

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

Brilliant programme, much helped by the host's sense of humour! I'm always starving after it too. Can't believe the portion sizes in most of the places he goes to though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭El_Drago

I love this show.I always get such cravings for fast-food after I watch it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

Good aul show alright, i read somewhere that he starves himself for a day beforehand, and then hits the treadmill immediately after a challenge..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Tell you what, he can pack the food away like a man three time his size.:D

One of the episodes i saw the other day he took on this other huge fat guy in a food challenge & nearly beat him.

Also seen him putting away 5 pounds of a 6 pound burrito. I like my food & im big enough but not a chance i could do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

I enjoy it actually. Was thinking of putting a list of the places he visits together, so that if i ever visit, i know where to go! Some of the food sounds delicious!

He is almost never beaten by the "heat" factor, in fact from what i've seen, he's rarely ever been beaten!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

I like this show too. And yeah, he doesn't eat the day before and does 30 minutes of treadmill as soon as possible afterwards to, presumably, stop his system from shutting down. He also says that he eats pretty healthily when he's not doing the show and stays "super hydrated".

He's still a bit nuts though! Which is what makes it entertaining. I do find it interesting to see what mad stuff some of these restaurants have. We don't have anything like that here so it's a bit of a novelty. Some delicious looking food in some of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Degag wrote: »
    I enjoy it actually. Was thinking of putting a list of the places he visits together, so that if i ever visit, i know where to go! Some of the food sounds delicious!

He is almost never beaten by the "heat" factor, in fact from what i've seen, he's rarely ever been beaten!

I have seen almost every episode I think, heat beats him now and then, masses of meat tends not to, a lot of carbs or starch can beat him. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭coffee to go

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Food wins often enough, in fairness. That's the first time I've seen heat beat him. Only started watching this season though.

It's just as well your taste buds grow back when you burn your tongue!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Oh holy god that looked painful! Surely nobody could manage that?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Season 3 just started, he was doing a live challenge in Miami, trying to eat a 48oz porterhouse steak in 20 mins!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

God I love this programme. I hate when it's a challenge with food you don't like though,it's just not the same watching it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

seen every episode, great show but probably not the best show for a fat bloke to be watching, it gives me all sorts of bad ideas! :)

I'm becoming slightly obsessed with this show! And Diners, Drive-ins & Dives.
    One thing I have to say though - there is a HUGE amount of waste, it's slightly obscene. I'm not talking about the challenges, but the general portions. Maybe it's just years of my Mammy drilling it into me, but the amount of food thrown away is scandalous!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

the thanks seems appropraite

wierd but relevant thanks.jpg

MiCr0 wrote: »
    the thanks seems appropraite

wierd but relevant thanks.jpg

HEEE heeee!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭antoniosicily

ahah the guy is a genius!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I watched part of an episode recently where he was having a pissa topped with 18 habaneros. The heat of 1 habanero is roughly equivalent to 50 jalapenos. So you'd be talking about eating a pizza with the heat of 900 jalapenos. Sweet Jebus!

One of the kids start acting up so I missed the end. Anyone see it & know if he managed to eat it?

Hill Billy wrote: »
    One of the kids start acting up so I missed the end. Anyone see it & know if he managed to eat it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_v._Food_%28season_2%29
    Episode 11, Man wins!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭dillodaffs

its one of these programmes that i cannot help myself from watching...im usually drooling over the food and like everyone else end up totally starving and craving burgers, chillie etc...

why oh why does the food always have to look so damn good...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Yeah love this show.. Best job ever id say!!!

Id struggle to finish the stuff he does though.. When i lived in Whistler, Canada there was a burrito place and they had a buritto challenge.. Was 3 lbs.. Never finished it.. Fail picture on the wall!!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

you'll notice in the newer episodes that he is (unsurprisingly) definitely putting on quite a few pounds though, so its obviously taking it's toll.

mind you, he probably doesn't have to eat for days after some of those challenges, but it just can't be healthy in the long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 rubywoo

Love watching it! and ALWAYS starving after it.
    But like olaola, feel a bit uncomfortable about the amount of food being shoved into a gob unecessarily when there are bound to be many, many hungry people who could do it with it. Sorry, I'll go and shine my halo now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

I love MvF for the entertainment value and the variety of places he goes (anyone remember the Amish bakery ep? i need to go there NOW), but Diners and Drive ins or whatever it's called makes my mouth water... so much fried chicken and fish, I can almost taste it sometimes (this is largely due to me not eating fried food anymore for my health and wanting to eat the television).

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭cycocycle

Forget The Sopranos,The Wire or Band of Brothers! This is television at its best!:D
    Im always starving by the end of it.
    A lot of waste though by the look of it. Obscene amounts of meat on a slice of bread seems to be a recurring theme.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Honestly unless your a very very large person in excess of 30 stone in weight with an abnormally large stomach theres no way in hell you could eat what this guy eats for the food challenges & not feel unwell after the meal.

I feel bloated after a hefty indian meal with starter & main course & i ain't a slim jim, far from it. Imagine how this guy feels after he takes on an 8 pound burrito or burger?? Fair play to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Does anyone watch this programme?
    I think it's great. It's about this fella who goes around the states visiting restaurants who have food challanges. Some are based on huge quantities on meat and some are based on food that is seriously laced with chilli.

My favourite one was the one where he had to eat five chicken wings made from the hottest chilli in the world. He only got as far as the second one and had to give up, very funny!

http://www.munchies420cafe.com/blog/fire-in-your-hole-wings-challenge-at-munchies-420-cafe-man-vs-food

Was a thread on it a few months ago : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055928341

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Cheers. Didn't see it at the time.
    Don't know how that guy is still alive. His fat intake must be huge and his cholesterol level must be through the roof.

Advertisement