Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Maintenance for dummies....

• 02-06-2010 12:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

I'm currently in my 3rd week of being a road bike owner, and I'm wondering if I should be doing more to maintain my bike than pumping up the tyres once a week.

Assuming a very *very* low level of mechanical expertise, what could I reasonably expect to be able to do myself without getting my hands too dirty (literally and figuratively). Also, what sort of equipment should I have at home (beyond basic screw drivers, allen keys and a socket set) to make this job much easier?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

corblimey wrote: »
    I'm currently in my 3rd week of being a road bike owner, and I'm wondering if I should be doing more to maintain my bike than pumping up the tyres once a week.

Assuming a very *very* low level of mechanical expertise, what could I reasonably expect to be able to do myself without getting my hands too dirty (literally and figuratively). Also, what sort of equipment should I have at home (beyond basic screw drivers, allen keys and a socket set) to make this job much easier?

I find this site very useful for all DIY maintenance. You should invest in a chain cleaner and clean the chain once a week and re-oil with a smidgen of oil not half a can. Get a brush to clean your cassettes and rings. You can end up spending as much on maintenance gear as the bike itself. I have a bike stand which I paid about €130 for and a basic tool kit which cost me €60 from PBK. Cleaning is the main thing as you don't want dust and dirt sticking to the oil then wearing down bits nor do you want people avoiding you because your bike is a state :D

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Some things are best checked regularly.

In addition to keeping your tyres pumped up (once a week may not be enough - do you have a pressure gauge on your pump?), check them regularly for foreign objects. Check the brakes regularly - make sure the pads are equal distance away from the rims and the wheels run evenly (they are bound to go a little out of true, but if more than a couple of mm it may need checking) Also check cables for sign of wear and for loose spokes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

For some reason despite not owning a bike in several years, I had it stuck in mind to pick up each wheel and spin it to make sure it runs straight, so I've been doing that before I pump them up (I've got a gauge on my pump but it doesn't register the current PSI when I put it on the valve, do they normally?)

On the oil front, any 3-in-1 oil will do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 celticgooner

Im in the same situation I havent rode a bike for 20+yrs until now.I will be needing help too so thanks in advance.
    Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

On the oil front, any 3-in-1 oil will do?

no, use a special bike lube, 3-in-1 will just act as a magnet to every piece of grit around. When putting lube on a chain, put on a small amount and then wipe off with a cloth. (vry little is needed if cleaned regularly)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Clean properly as mentioned above.

Fix a puncture/change the tube.

Adjust brakes.

Adjust saddle height/position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

garo wrote: »
    Clean properly as mentioned above.

Fix a puncture/change the tube.

Adjust brakes.

Adjust saddle height/position.

This is regular maintenance? :confused: Surely I only have to do these things as and when they become necessary.

Captain (or indeed anybody) I was looking at toolkits on PBK and came across this, any use? I know all toolkits are useful, but if I was coming from nothing (I've got a small 12-in-1 BBB toolkit in the saddle bag, but would prefer tools I can get to grips with) is there anything in particular missing from that set?

Advertisement