Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VW Polo is nicer than a VW Golf

• 02-06-2010 12:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭

In my opinion the New Polo id nicer than a new Golf.

I didn't even know that there was a new polo until yesterday.

It's larger, sportier looking than the old model and
    I won't be ashamed to drive one.

Take a look.
    http://www.drivearabia.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/2010-vw-polo-2-450x319.jpg

They are letting the Golf slip into mediocrity more and more with every restyling!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

A friend of mine just got a new polo, and I must say it's the first time I'd choose the polo over the golf. Golf has gone a bit weak and curvy almost into lupo territory, whereas the polo has a nice sporty look from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I can't say either does much for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

I'd tend to agree in that the Mk 6 was a step back for the Golf, whereas the current Mk Polo is a BIG step forward. I was getting my Mk5 Golf GTI serviced in Blackwater Motors in Fermoy recently and I sat into a Mk6 GTI they had on display. I can safely say that I favoured my own. I'd say the new Polo GTI is tasty!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

The mk6 golf wasn't a big step forward but its oranges and mandarins in fairness...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Neither polo or golf are particularly interesting sports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

colm_mcm wrote: »

Least of all in standard trim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,649 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

ROTFL

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭JayMul

I had a lend of a TSi turbo Golf, it was fairly nippy but oddly it had very little legroom in the driver area. My knee was constantly bashing off the edge of the dash & I'm not tall by any means I'm under 6 foot. Also the clutch was a tad high, though I'm sure this could be adjusted. I found it strange that the inside was designed like a female car, but yet it was a bit of a boy racer engine. Still though I liked it overall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

haha - at first glance i didnt get it :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Whats that she said...

The Polo is a decent looking car, you need to look twice to spot its not actually a Golf its gotten so big.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

The Diesel in the polo is remarkably quiet. However The fuel economy seems a little disapointing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

ki wrote: »

Take a look.
    http://www.drivearabia.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/2010-vw-polo-2-450x319.jpg

They are letting the Golf slip into mediocrity more and more with every restyling!

Thing is new models have been getting bigger for years. The new Polo is the same size as the Golf from a generation or two back and the Golf, Passat etc are all growing as well. Same with every manufacturer - bigger is better and something to boast about when a new model comes out.

'Nicer' is a pretty all-encompassing adjective though....

Are you trying to justify the Polo 'cos you want to save money in these recessionary times?

Neither of them ring my bell. Every gob****e in the country seems to have a VW of some description - both culchies and middle class urbanites seem to aspire to them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

VWs are dead dull blandfunctional. They should design the next stealth fighter to look like a Golf, because no-one would notice it coming. Even the new Avensis has the massive front grill that adds a slight touch of flair, but all of the VW range look like they were designed on an overcast Monday morning in Stuttgart by a committee with a collective hangover as horrible as Mary Harney in a see-through bikini.*

*Over the top but still accurate!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

New Polo is a great car,the Polo R is the one to watch for 190bhp from a TT 1.4 engine,closer in spirit to the original MK1 GTI than any new golf.

vw-polo-r-13895422-MBQF-1257327805,templateId=renderScaled,property=Bild,height=349.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I think the Polo started out as a slightly smaller alternative to the Golf and later on became a super-mini. So it's returning to its original form really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

That Polo R looks very well, with some nice stats too. I'd hazard a guess though that retail will be around the 32-34k mark though, if not more, and that for a Polo is ambitious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

ki wrote: »

Take a look.

golfs really have declined, though the polo isn't exactly great, its a major improvement !

wouldn't buy one for all the love of jesus though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ki

pburns wrote: »
    Are you trying to justify the Polo 'cos you want to save money in these recessionary times?

No I am not going to buy a Polo.
    I recently purchased a 06 a4 estate, so a second car is ruled out unless its a Charger or Capri.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Fizman wrote: »
    That Polo R looks very well, with some nice stats too. I'd hazard a guess though that retail will be around the 32-34k mark though, if not more, and that for a Polo is ambitious.

I'd don't know if I'd pick it over a Corsa OPC either...

I must say I saw a new, Irish spec (ie. no extras what so ever) in a grey colour, and thought it was horrible. A red highline (I think) passed me not so long ago and it changed my opinion big time.

The Golf GTD in black looks the business though!

Advertisement