Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to airtight a timber frame house.

• 02-06-2010 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

Hey, Im a long time viewer but first time poster. Im recently in the middle of building my house and im looking to know how to apply the plastic to a timber frame house to make it airtight. (im on about the upstairs ceilings and internal walls). What gauge plastic and what type of sticky tape is required. Could someone also point out what to do around windows and doors. Im thinking that a video or a step by step booklet would be very helpful but i cant find any anywhere. Cheers for the interest:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Airtightness is a requirement of the current Building Regulations.
    Search on Boards or Google "Airtightness." (I'm not sure I can mention names here! - PM if you are stuck)

There are 3 companies supplying tapes & membranes in Ireland. Each provide extensive details of how to fit their products. Check their web sites.

At least two companies offer free one day installation courses. Well worth attending for some hands on practical experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭tiocimarla

solway wrote: »
    Hey, Im a long time viewer but first time poster. Im recently in the middle of building my house and im looking to know how to apply the plastic to a timber frame house to make it airtight. (im on about the upstairs ceilings and internal walls). What gauge plastic and what type of sticky tape is required. Could someone also point out what to do around windows and doors. Im thinking that a video or a step by step booklet would be very helpful but i cant find any anywhere. Cheers for the interest:)
    All the Timber framed houses ive worked in were done with a green polythene roll stapled on by labourers. Easy job Just roll it out and staple anything that doesnt move:D

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭solway

Thanks for the replies guys :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

tiocimarla wrote: »
    All the Timber framed houses ive worked in were done with a green polythene roll stapled on by labourers. Easy job Just roll it out and staple anything that doesnt move:D

Which will not give you an airtight house. What you saw the labourers installing was a moisture barrier, not an airtight membrane.

Any membrane installed to provide an airtight interior will need to be taped together, with specific airtight tapes such as Siga, not masking tape, not duct duct, not sellotape and certainly not staples.
    Even with taped membranes, there is a lot more to consider such as joist and service penetrations to external walls, elec sockets on ext walls, and most importantly door and window jambs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭tiocimarla

gman2k wrote: »
    Which will not give you an airtight house. What you saw the labourers installing was a moisture barrier, not an airtight membrane.

Any membrane installed to provide an airtight interior will need to be taped together, with specific airtight tapes such as Siga, not masking tape, not duct duct, not sellotape and certainly not staples.
    Even with taped membranes, there is a lot more to consider such as joist and service penetrations to external walls, elec sockets on ext walls, and most importantly door and window jambs.
    I stand corrected

• Advertisement

Im confused... how am i to apply the membrane to joists/studs if i dont use staples. Im also confused when people say not to staple as you will pierce the plastic/membrane. What happens when you apply the plasterboard using screws. You cant avoid piercing then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Im confused... how am i to apply the membrane to joists/studs if i dont use staples. Im also confused when people say not to staple as you will pierce the plastic/membrane. What happens when you apply the plasterboard using screws. You cant avoid piercing then.

Where staples have been used to hang the membrane initially, you should put a 'dab' of tape over this.
    Screw holes are unavoidable from fixing plasterboard, pictures etc.
    It is impossible to create a 100% airtight house, but it is possible to create one with very little air infiltration.

I presume you are using insulated plasterboard on the external walls of your timber frame?

Where staples have been used to hang the membrane initially, you should put a 'dab' of tape over this.
    Screw holes are unavoidable from fixing plasterboard, pictures etc.
    It is impossible to create a 100% airtight house, but it is possible to create one with very little air infiltration.

I presume you are using insulated plasterboard on the external walls of your timber frame?
    No im using standard 8x4 plasterboard slabs. If i was to use insulated slabs and airtight my house my funds wouldnt stretch that far. Something has to give. I was also making a few phone calls into the special tape and sealant products. I must say they cost a small fortune. A roll of tape costs between 35-40euro for 40m by siga. Sealant betwen 12-15 euro by siga.Then you have plastic, special tape for windows and doors, special tape for around sockets and pipes............. the list goes on. If i was to do it by the book it would cost about 500 euro for materials alone. I also priced vario by isover and they were selling at a crazy price. 30 euro for 25m tape................... I dont know what to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

If i was to do it by the book it would cost about 500 euro for materials alone. ................... I dont know what to do.

Airtightness will safe you money in the long run. Do it by the book, install it to manufacturers specifications & details.

Airtightness is a Building Regulation, it will become increasingly important in the very near future. Help future proof your house, comply with the law (its there to help you) and save money on heating.

Its a proven technology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭cork2

maybe this is in the wrong place but isnt airtightness bad for a house??? i mean what about air flow and ventilation? also you need vents fitted to the walls of certain rooms doesnt this bring you down on the airtightness test?

• Advertisement
Advertisement