Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English short story - Relavence to picture....

Options
  • 02-06-2010 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Basically i have a short story learned off and I was looking through the exam questions to see if I could make it fit to every year. The question that comes up nearly every year "Write a short story prompted by one or more of the images in TEXT 3." seams to be the easiest to slot something in. But how "prompted" does the story have to be.

/*Relevance - Not good, and only seven days to go/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Cook!eMonster

well, in my mocks, there was a picture of three young girls putting make up on, and I turned it into a story of a heroin addict prostitute.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

The picture has to play a central role in the story or else you won't get many marks for relevance.
    Having said that, I'm sure you could think of a way on the day to weave the picture into your story nicely while still keeping it quite relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭dazco

well, in my mocks, there was a picture of three young girls putting make up on, and I turned it into a story of a heroin addict prostitute.

I actually did that one too in my mock but my story happens to be about a little girl so i was lucky.....

and
    "The picture has to play a central role in the story or else you won't get many marks for relevance."
    Do you have to take all parts of the picture into account. For example 2006 there's a picture of a Soldier holding his baby in Mozambique, as i said my story is about a little girl, but also with the relationship with her father. Is the father-child relationship enough of a link for that picture even though it has absolutely nothing to do with war or Mozambique

If you want a high grade in English, don't learn off entire stories/essays/speeches. Examiners can spot it a mile away and it looks really bad. It will do you no favours. The likelyhood of you being able to make your story relevant is slim, and it probably isn't worth taking the chance unless you're very weak at English. You speak English, trust your own ability to work with the material on the day.

If you find story writing difficult DON'T DO IT. The short story has to have a watertight structure as well as being original, well written and RELEVANT to the title. If you can't make up a good story on the day you should do a personal essay or speech instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭LovexxLife

You paper 1, is it ok kinda just not having anything prepared.
    I know Part B strutures and about how to answer a style Question in the part A.

For the essay i have no storys prepared as i never got a good mark. In my mock i did a speech on beauty contests being demeaning to woman and got 76.(didnt have it prepared at all)
    So im thinking is it ok to go unprepared for the essay as i be focusing on discursvive essays?

• Advertisement
Advertisement