Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Behaviour

Options
  • 02-06-2010 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,938 ✭✭✭✭

Got a weird one here with Brodi, wondering if anybody else could throw there opinions in.

When we got her, aged 8 weeks back in November she was all over me, fell asleep on my chest or would only sleep under my feet when i was sat on chair. She didn't really lie down or sit with Mir (Wife)

This went on for about 4/5 weeks, then, all of a sudden she totaly changes her behaviour.

We have a 1 seater and 2 seater chair in our front room, so when we're watching TV i will usually use the 2 seater and Mir will have the 1 seater.

Now brodi will nto sit next to me at all, no matter what, she just doesn't seem to wanna know, even though there is a spare empty seat next to me.

She will jump up onto the single chair that Mir's on, and flop all over her, and when i say flop i mean she just lies across her!

This is the same whereever Mir sits down, she'll just come along, and if she wants to rest will just climb all over Mir, yet she won't come sit anywhere near me when i'm sitting down.

Could there be any reason behind this behaviour??

Not that i'm bothered with it, it just intrigues me.

And i gotta say, any other time, she's all over me, like walks, or if i go in garden, come home from work etc, just when we're sittting down

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

She just hates you :p

Nah they seem to go through phases, cats and even babies do the same I think. Do you do more outdoorsey things with her? Maybe she associates you with having fun and being outside and your wife with lovely cuddles and a "softer" relationship.

I know with my fella thats the way. If he wants to play he'll sit whining for my OH and only halfheartedly plays with me but as soon as K comes in he goes hell for leather with a game. But if he's tired (bless) and cuddly, he'll usually come to me. It's just the difference in how he sees us. Same with dicipline, in the house he ignores my OH and does what I say, but out he ignores me and follows instruction from K.

You'll probably find it changing again in a few weeks.

Another thing, is your wife in perfect health or pregnant? (don't answer that btw just putting it out there ;)) Often dogs know before the people if there is a pregnancy or illness and change can their behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭Kya1976

She might sense that you're not that bothered and just prefer to lie on her own.
    Maybe you told her off before when she did jump up on you and just think you don't want her up on your lap.
    Wouldn't say its a big deal anyways.:)

Edit, I know that one of my dogs would be similar, he prefers to cuddle up with my ex rather than with me, as he knows I dont particularly want him on my lap as hes way too heavy, 55kg. I usually would ask him to get off he if does try to jump up on my lap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

Maybe she sees your wife as more motherly just because she's a woman so wants to cuddle up with her, and has a different relationship with you (like sees you as another pack member or a brother to play with or something)?

I often think that female animals seem to like women, well all my animals prefer women but that's because I look after them. I think they can sense a maternal thing from them. But my old dog (a male) really seemed to respect my dad, maybe because he saw him as head of the pack. Though he preferred me and I gave him much more attention, if my dad was there he'd go to him. Though that could all just be in my imagination?

Advertisement