Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ivor Callely Expenses

• 02-06-2010 1:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/callely-insists-expenses-compliance-460104.html

02/06/2010 - 12:22:32
    Senator Ivor Callely has insisted he complied with all regulations relating to his expenses.

The Dublin based Fianna Fáil Senator has come under fire after claiming €81,000 in expenses over the past three years, by using an address in west Cork.

This allowed him to claim travel and accomodation expenses.

The former Junior Minister told the Seanad this afternoon that he wants to submit himself for investigation before the Oireachtas Committee of Members Interests.

Senator Callely said he is confident that he will clear his name.

"I have always indicated that I have a west Cork residence, a Clontarf home and a constituency office in Dublin North Central, and travel from all three depending on circumstances to fulfil my Seanad duties," he said.

"I understand that I have complied with regulations.

"As the issue of expenses is very complex I hope the Select Committee will investigate all the issues relating to my case and come to a speedy conclusion."

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/callely-insists-expenses-compliance-460104.html#ixzz0phFQg77c

Only one thing to be said: :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Somebody has been having fun on his wiki page

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Somebody has been having fun on his wiki page
    Sound about right. Looks like he might have been having fun at our expense too.
    What goes around, comes around!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

"I have always indicated that I have a west Cork residence, a Clontarf home and a constituency office in Dublin North Central, and travel from all three depending on circumstances to fulfil my Seanad duties,"

There's a whiff of P.Flynn off the whole saga.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

"I have always indicated that I have a west Cork residence, a Clontarf home and a constituency office in Dublin North Central, and travel from all three depending on circumstances to fulfil my Seanad duties," he said.

I would say the relevant word is home ?

I think they should check his car insurance address.......it's fraud if you don't list the proper address on that.

But I notice that Cowen didn't vote confidence in him.......could that possibly be because it doesn't affect his Government majority ?

Biggins wrote: »
    Sound about right. Looks like he might have been having fun at our expense too.
    What goes around, comes around!

At thine expense, I buggered off many years ago, which is why find FF funny and Bertie quaint

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    I would say the relevant word is home ?

I think they should check his car insurance address.......it's fraud if you don't list the proper address on that.

But I notice that Cowen didn't vote confidence in him.......could that possibly be because it doesn't affect his Government majority ?

or get revenue involved to check his phone records, toll and petrol receipts, see if he was where he was claiming to be.

Poly wrote: »
    or get revenue involved to check his phone records, toll and petrol receipts, see if he was where he was claiming to be.

Someone texted 4FM to say they see him walking his dog in Clontarf every morning........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Ivor is a choice character altogether but there just so much corruption that you become overwhelmed by it see here: http://www.rte.ie/news/2005/1207/callelyi.html

Callely considers resigning amid controversy

Wednesday, 7 December 2005 23:07
    The Junior Transport Minister, Ivor Callely, has told RTÉ News tonight he was considering resignation in the wake of the controversy over the funding of the redecoration of his house in the 1990s.

Mr Callely insisted he had done nothing wrong and had paid every bill that was presented to him.

He said his only mistake may have been not to go seeking the bill concerned, which he had never received.

Advertisement
    He said he had open and fair consultations with the Taoiseach, Bertie Ahern, today but that Mr Ahern had not called for his head.

Asked would he still be a junior minister tomorrow, Mr Callely said that was a matter for the Taoiseach and he would be speaking to Mr Ahern in the morning.

Speaking on RTÉ News, Mr Ahern said that he would deal comprehensively with the matter in the morning.

In a statement earlier this evening, Mr Callely maintained that he did nothing wrong and said to resign would be to admit he was wrong.

Mr Callely said he was angry about any innuendo that suggested he had influenced contracts as chairman of the Eastern Health Board in the 1990s.

RTÉ News understands the Taoiseach's department had been unaware Mr Callely planned to issue any statement.

This afternoon Mr Ahern and the Tánaiste, Mary Harney, met in relation to the situation. A spokesperson for the Tánaiste said the two leaders are at one about their concern over the issue.

Mr Callely had a lengthy meeting with Mr Ahern and had been due to see Mr Ahern again after consultations with his family.

He was earlier involved in other meetings in the Department of the Taoiseach.

The meeting with Mr Ahern was to discuss revelations that one of the country's biggest building companies, John Paul Construction, paid for work carried out at his home in Clontarf in north Dublin in the early 1990s.

When questioned in the Dáil by Fine Gael leader, Enda Kenny, on whether he would sack Mr Callely, Mr Ahern refused to be drawn on the matter.

Mr Ahern said he had not been able to contact Mr Callely last night or this morning following the revelations.

However, he admitted that there were serious issues to be addressed.

The Fine Gael leader described the report as extremely serious.

In a statement issued to RTÉ this morning, John Paul Construction confirmed that the work, undertaken in the early 1990s, was paid for by them.

The company says it did not receive any payment or other benefit from any party in relation to the work. Mr Callely has confirmed the report.

In 1991, Mr Callely became the youngest chairman of the then Eastern Health Board.

At the time the board's headquarters, which was based at the former Dr Steeven's Hospital in Dublin, was being refurbished by John Paul Construction.

Mr Callely has told RTÉ that Mr John Paul Senior, who he knew, offered to help him out when another firm of decorators let him down at short notice.

Mr Callely says he expected a bill for the work which he believes cost around £1,500, but with the passage of time he cannot locate such an invoice.

However, he accepts the work was paid for by John Paul Construction. He rejects any suggestion of impropriety on his part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 nmoran

Ivor's Clinic times:

Weekly Clinic Times:
    Monday, Wednesday, Friday - 08:30am to 10:30am - by appointment only
    Location: Constituency Office - 191 Howth Road, Killester Village (next door to Bank of Ireland - above Wan's Chinese)

Constituency Office Opening Hours
    Monday - Wednesday - Friday 10:00am to 12:00pm Tel: (01) 833 4331
    Location: 191 Howth Road, Killester Village (next door to Bank of Ireland - above Wan's Chinese)

..it would be interesting to check his travel expenses against his Clinic and Constituency dates!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Tbh I dont really care about what expenses he claims and i think that brian cowen is a gombeen. This is not a tight enough control on this in the first place.

what i really think is missed is that these expenses show the amount of time he really spends in cork rather than dublin and this shows the shanad to be feck all use...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭zootroid

If it is found that he claimed expenses when he shouldn't have, not only should he resign, he should also face charges, as it is defrauding the state. I see no difference between that and someone claiming social welfare illegally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

zootroid wrote: »
    If it is found that he claimed expenses when he shouldn't have, not only should he resign, he should also face charges, as it is defrauding the state. I see no difference between that and someone claiming social welfare illegally.

+1

Callely is a disgrace plain and simple. Pure unadulterated greed.

I agree and I do so irrespective of what party he is in (or stands for in support) as well.
    If others are found to be doing the same, either side of the fence, they should too be held to account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Someone texted 4FM to say they see him walking his dog in Clontarf every morning........

I think it was Ian Dempsey or another DJ on yesterday morning saying he used to see him jogging while they were going to work.
    They reckoned he drove from Cork and then went for a jog before he went to the Seanad. :rolleyes:

I am not allowed discuss …

jmayo wrote: »
    I think it was Ian Dempsey or another DJ on yesterday morning saying he used to see him jogging while they were going to work.
    They reckoned he drove from Cork and then went for a jog before he went to the Seanad. :rolleyes:
    LOL Yep, thats believable. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭scr123

I am FF and I have to publicly admit I am furious at this latest expense nonsense. Its time the relevant Dail Committee got its act together and drew up a plan of action that prevents any scandal being attached to our TD's and Senators. This crapology is going on too long and those who think its confined to FF should shut up and take a long hard look in the mirror !

scr123 wrote: »
    I am FF and I have to publicly admit I am furious at this latest expense nonsense. Its time the relevant Dail Committee got its act together and drew up a plan of action that prevents any scandal being attached to our TD's and Senators. This crapology is going on too long and those who think its confined to FF should shut up and take a long hard look in the mirror !
    Well in that we DO agree. I suspect it is not just confined to one side alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

The man needs this money. He still has to pay for the two yachts he rammed in Cork while drunk sailing and thats going to cost a bob or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 nmoran

Hit the nail on the head. The fact that he will likely remain in the Seanad is evidence that things will never change in this country re: political accountability. I hope I am wrong.

A good start would be the banning of FF

• Advertisement

A good start would be the banning of FF
    Nice idea but wouldn't work (I know you know it too).
    You could ban a party but those in it would simply move to another, go independent or set up alternative.

Last time there was a local election near me for example, a few FF members suddenly became "independent" (such was/is the current dislike of FF) and tried to disassociate themselves from the political mafia.
    Some of those "independents" are FF men thru and thru.

Biggins wrote: »
    Nice idea but wouldn't work (I know you know it too).
    You could ban a party but those in it would simply move to another, go independent or set up alternative.

Last time there was a local election near me for example, a few FF members suddenly became "independent" (such was/is the current dislike of FF) and tried to disassociate themselves from the political mafia.
    Some of those "independents" are FF men thru and thru.

I know that, but one can but hope

In my utpioian world FG & Labour would have been on the banned list as well

The Feiners Greens & Pds are good for a laugh so need to ban them

Its time the relevant Dail Committee got its act together and drew up a plan of action that prevents any scandal being attached to our TD's and Senators.

I'd suggest that it's up to the partie(s) to get their act together to weed out corruption, tbh........if there were no self-serving, corrupt scumbags in a party then there'd be no need for a Dail Committee.

Of course, voting confidence in Ahern, O'Dea, O'Donoghue (and FF's previous stance on Callelly) kinda means that ain't gonna happen.

The problem is that they can do this because they know that some people will ignore it and "staunchly" vote FF regardless. :mad:
    This crapology is going on too long and those who think its confined to FF should shut up and take a long hard look in the mirror !

What does my reflection have to do with TD expenses ? :confused:

jmayo wrote: »

It was definitely mentioned on David Harvey's programme today.....

.....maybe Ian Dempsey's listening and texting ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

I think its credit to the man to come out with a statement about affairs relating to his living arrangements. The facts are that this figure of 80000 is expenses over three years hardly alot for a man of his caliber and the media hounds who have their teeth beared for this man forget this fact. Secondly would not we all try to make a bit of dosh on the side, sure everyone is at it. The real economy is in turmoil and we need more like him to put their necks on the line to acheive things although it may be not liked by the public. Fourthly the man said it was complicated sure we are all guilty of getting confused when filling out pointless and complicated forms. Fifthly he has a lovely smile that would butter bread for you and a bit of a buck but are not we all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Correction as you have told us all you are Staunch ff.

Oh this has you furious, but what about ahern, flynn, haughey, o'donoghue, o'dea, harney (as good as ff), burke, lawlor, fahy, callely part I ?

Did any of that sh** make you furious ?
    What am I saying :rolleyes:
    if it had you not be on here crowing that the other parties were shambolic, had plans that scared you, weren't worthy of voters and ff was the only party to vote for.

BTW it is the ones in ff who have been remiss in getting their own house in order.
    So kindly look in your own mirror before lambasting others to do so.
    At least other parties kick people out for what is seen as power for the course within the soldiers of dysentery.

It is not the fault of any Dail committee that hasn't enforced some level of ethical standards, the party itself (and it's members) should have standards and ethics to start with.

Instead your party are have been shown time and again as a bunch of self serving greedy unethical gombeens with tendencies towards outright corruption.

PS I am not a member of any party, but I will openly admit I despise what ff stand for and what they have done to this country since the days of haughey.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sofia1976

Throughout Ivor Calelly's statement, he referred to the expense process as full of "anomalies" and "complex" - does he think the Irish public cannot understand something vaguely "complex" - he's not the only person to ever submit an expense report!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,151 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

secondly would not we all try to make a bit of dosh on the side, sure everyone is at it. The real economy is in turmoil

that kind of mentality might be part of the reason why it is in turmoil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Bobby31

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/callely-insists-expenses-compliance-460104.html

02/06/2010 - 12:22:32
    Senator Ivor Callely has insisted he complied with all regulations relating to his expenses.

The Dublin based Fianna Fáil Senator has come under fire after claiming €81,000 in expenses over the past three years, by using an address in west Cork.

This allowed him to claim travel and accomodation expenses.

The former Junior Minister told the Seanad this afternoon that he wants to submit himself for investigation before the Oireachtas Committee of Members Interests.

Senator Callely said he is confident that he will clear his name.

"I understand that I have complied with regulations.

"As the issue of expenses is very complex I hope the Select Committee will investigate all the issues relating to my case and come to a speedy conclusion."

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/callely-insists-expenses-compliance-460104.html#ixzz0phFQg77c

Only one thing to be said: :D

If he has complied with all the regulations why is he submitting himself for investigation before the Oireachtas commitee of members interests????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I can't see him resigning, he never applied for the job, he didn't get votes to get the job, he never earned the job, it was given to him by Mr. Bertie Ahern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,778 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Resign will not come up on any Politics dictionary here in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,280 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

The hell with resigning, defrauding the state whilst holding public office should be a capital offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭lightspeed

is it not in the constitution that fraud is a crime and so he should be set to face criminal proceedings?
    its about time that we dont just take a a cut of his illgotten gains and that he is made an example of and see some jail time. Bertie Ahern if guilty should have went to prision and so should ivor callely. If things get as bad as greece then people will demand that corrupt politicans here face jail or their will be a mob of people that will want them dead for their betrayal and ill be one of them

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Bock the Robber

How can an unelected Senator have a constituency office?

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭ROS123

If I submitted expenses in my job that were so obviously incorrect (fraudulent ?) I would be sacked.

Should he resign, if he had any pride or dignity he would, will he (will he f*ck)

Should Cowen sack him, of course he should, will he, see above.

This is Fianna Fail, they exist only to serve thier own and their buddies best interests.

Callely should not only be removed, he should also be investigated by Revenue, he should aslo be forced at least to refund the money he was paid in excess.

I knoe FF are not alone in this but they are certainly the worst.

• Advertisement

Extract from Ivor's website:

Married to Jennifer, they have three children. He was educated and continues to live in Dublin North Central.

http://www.ivorcallely.ie/profile.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Married to Jennifer, they have three children. He was educated and continues to live in Dublin North Central.
    yeah one of the lads on the Liveline thread pointed this out earlier.. Even his own website disagrees with his own cock and bull story.. Ivor, you've been caught out (not for the first time). Get your coat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

nmoran wrote: »
    Ivor's Clinic times:

Weekly Clinic Times:
    Monday, Wednesday, Friday - 08:30am to 10:30am - by appointment only
    Location: Constituency Office - 191 Howth Road, Killester Village (next door to Bank of Ireland - above Wan's Chinese)

Constituency Office Opening Hours
    Monday - Wednesday - Friday 10:00am to 12:00pm Tel: (01) 833 4331
    Location: 191 Howth Road, Killester Village (next door to Bank of Ireland - above Wan's Chinese)

..it would be interesting to check his travel expenses against his Clinic and Constituency dates!
    Why on earth would he need constituency clinics, given that he's a Taoiseach's appointee to the Senate and thus should be able to devote all of his time to discussing legislation in the Senate? Unless - he wouldn't perhaps see his seat as merely a stepping stone to a Dáil seat? :rolleyes:

More to the point, how would he hold constituency clinics in Dublin on Monday, Wednesday and Friday if he lives in West Cork?

(Never mind the fact that he doesn't actually have a constituency).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

goose2005 wrote: »
    perhaps see his seat as merely a stepping stone to a Dáil seat? :rolleyes:

As dim and all as he clearly is I dont think even he could possibly believe he has a chance of getting back on the FFers ticket for the next election . The people clearly and roundly rejected him last time out and then Bertie goes and drops him into the senate. He is obviously just too stupid and greedy to keep his nose clean and collect his pension and salary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭zootroid

ROS123 wrote: »
    If I submitted expenses in my job that were so obviously incorrect (fraudulent ?) I would be sacked.

Should he resign, if he had any pride or dignity he would, will he (will he f*ck)

Should Cowen sack him, of course he should, will he, see above.

This is Fianna Fail, they exist only to serve thier own and their buddies best interests.

Callely should not only be removed, he should also be investigated by Revenue, he should aslo be forced at least to refund the money he was paid in excess.

I knoe FF are not alone in this but they are certainly the worst.

Would an ordinary citizen found to be illegally claiming social welfare be let off so lightly? Whatever the punishment is for claiming social welfare illegally, the same should apply to a politician fraudulently claiming expenses. The crime is essentially the same - fraud.

By the way, the punishment for serious fraud is written about here
    Indictment
    The question of proceeding on indictment is one which is kept under constant review. Cases of very serious fraud, are referred to the Director of Public Prosecutions with a view to taking indictment proceedings. These cases are heard before a judge and jury in the Circuit Court and carry maximum penalties of a fine of €13,000 and/or 3 years in prison. The penalty to be imposed in any case is a matter exclusively for the court to determine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

That money was just resting in my account.

I am FF and I have to publicly admit I am furious at this latest expense nonsense. Its time the relevant Dail Committee got its act together and drew up a plan of action that prevents any scandal being attached to our TD's and Senators. !

It's time TDs and senators stopped claiming for things they're not entitled to. If they did that, there would be no scandal.

goose2005 wrote: »
    Why on earth would he need constituency clinics, given that he's a Taoiseach's appointee to the Senate and thus should be able to devote all of his time to discussing legislation in the Senate? Unless - he wouldn't perhaps see his seat as merely a stepping stone to a Dáil seat? :rolleyes:

His chances over ever getting back into the Dáil were slim to none even before this scandle. He's been trying to get his son elected as a counciller in Clontarf but the Callely name didn't help at the last attempt - that and the fact that his son looks to be about 12 years old and doesn't have much to offer except his surname.

Does Ivor have any qualifications?

Does Ivor have any qualifications?

Is having a neck like a jockey's bollix a qualification?

dvpower wrote: »
    Is having a neck like a jockey's bollix a qualification?

For membership of FF, yes. For the honest world, maybe not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

€81,000 per year over the last three years amounts to €27,000 per year. That's EXPENSES - on top of his salary. How much is his salary and how long is his working week? How much time off per year does he get? I ask because my daughter as a nurse in a Dublin hospital is paid €35,500 a year. That's before income tax, PRSI, Income Levy, Health Levy and Pension Levy. She has a mortgage to pay and food to put on her table. She works 40 hours a week and more for this salary with holidays commensurate with hours worked each year. And yet someone in the Seanad can get nearly as much as she earns per annum in expenses and can claim more holidays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

Another nail in our coffin ,you've got to ask yourself who would want to invest in this country now ?

Mighty depressing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

If he has a holiday home in cork then surely it is his business to make sure he is back in Clontarf on time to attend to whatever duties he has .
    It's like saying "I'm relocating to France for a better lifestyle, and I'll charge my flights to the taxpayer every time I've to come back for Government business".
    He's entitled to have as many houses as he likes, but expenses should only be charged for journeys from his home address, which I understand to be Clontarf.

• Advertisement
Advertisement