Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pedestrian gps

Options
  • 02-06-2010 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭

hi all currently seeking info on what you might consider the best gps system for both driving and pedestrian walking in ireland

specifically good pedestrian feature

what are your experiences recommendations etc regards brian

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Most good devices let you select mode of transport for any planned route. It usually include . Truck ,Car, Motorbike, Bicyle, Walking.
    When you say a good pedestrian feature, have you some specific feature in mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

The big limitation of an in-car sat nav for walking is battery life. When you say 'pedestrian' walking, do you mean hillwalking, or more walking around cities? If the latter, then I find my iphone very good.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Anan1 wrote: »
    The big limitation of an in-car sat nav for walking is battery life.

I agree. Nearly as well to go for a nokia smart phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭enniscorthy

mainly just basic stuff mate walking around town etc oh cool iphone hey is the gps on it free as i know my phone has maps but they charge a huge rate:confused::confused:

With certain Nokia smart phones maps can be downloaded free via your PC. Navigation software is now free on these phones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭enniscorthy

thanks mate unfortunately phone is sony ericson c510 i have read quite a bit about downloading an OFFLINE gps application that could turn phone into GPS system even when it is not gps enabled:confused: some round about way:confused::confused: would you know anything about this regards brian

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

mainly just basic stuff mate walking around town etc oh cool iphone hey is the gps on it free as i know my phone has maps but they charge a huge rate:confused::confused:
    THh mapping on mine came with it, but it's downloaded as you need it. There's no charge for this, but it does require a signal. It's very good though, maps, satellite images and best of all it shows you which way you're pointing. AFAIK you can also downolad maps to the iphone so you don't need to download as you go - useful if you're in the mountains or abroad.

Advertisement