Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Broadband for the first time

• 02-06-2010 1:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I was just wondering, myself and the OH are mad to get broadband into our new build. We did not want to get a phoneline in (no need) but there is no wireless coverage in our area and I've heard that the mobile broadbands are useless.

As there has never been a phoneline in our house before we'd have to get eircom to come out and put in a line for us.

Question is... when our line becomes operational are then bound into a 12 month contact with eircom or are we free to move to an independant provider when our line is operational??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 deiced

where are you based?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

cavan/monaghan border

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 TheDark_Knight

phoneline is a pain in the ars, but its good broadband in fairness, if you go for mobile or wireless bb etc, they'll break your heart !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

Yeah I know.
    I dont think there would be coverage around our new house anyway.
    And nearest local company that does it (based in drogheda) are €35 per month when the 3mb vodafone broadband and unlimited off peak calls is €40.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

A new eircom line comes with a 6 month contract, which you can buy out of for about €100. After that, you can use any of the re-sellers or LLU operators (if available).

Worth looking at would be Magnet, Digiweb/Smart & UTV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭jayflame

Magnets Fibre To The Home is fantastic if you can get it, best I had and I've worked for 2 ISP's in Ireland.

Vodafone are pretty good, if the phone line is "clean", without any problems.
    Mine is pretty good, but then, I fixed my own internal wiring to make sure it works OK.

Wouldn't touch Eircom if they paid me

Advertisement