Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick judges dismiss speeding cases as 60% of drivers claim they never got penalty

Options
  • 02-06-2010 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭

Limerick judges dismiss speeding cases as 60% of drivers claim they never got penalty notices
    Published Date: 02 June 2010
    By Petula Martyn

LIMERICK'S two District Court judges have criticised the fixed penalty notice system after motorists accused of speeding claimed they did not receive notification by post when they appeared before the courts.
    Garda Tony Miniter of Limerick's Traffic Corps gave evidence of operating speed checks, but the majority of cases were dismissed when the motorists told the court that they did not get a fixed penalty notice in the post and therefore did not have the chance to pay the lower fine and incur fewer penalty points.

Judge Tom O'Donnell noted that it is a statutory requirement that fixed notices be served but 60 per cent of drivers alleged the first they knew about the speeding offence was when they were issued with a summons to appear before the court. He said it must be "extremely frustrating for members of the Traffic Corps" when cases are dismissed because of the current system.

"Here we have an experienced member of the Traffic Corps and I've had to strike the matters out," the judge said. "It was a waste of Garda Miniter's time and a waste of the court's time."

Speaking after she was left with no option but to dismiss a number of speeding cases brought by Garda Miniter at a sitting of Rathkeale Court last Thursday, Judge Mary O'Halloran also criticised the current practice: "This is a system that just doesn't operate. We had a foolproof system, when the Garda issued a ticket there on the side of the road. I believe there may be plans to revert back to that, and I hope that happens."

Meanwhile, Judge O'Donnell asked Inspector Seamus Ruane to make his dissatisfaction know to higher authorities.

Inspector Ruane said the issue that notifications are not sent out by registered post has been raised many times.

"It is a matter that has been raised by garda management in Limerick and by garda management around the country."

What does everyone make of this?! I posted a post on this almost a year ago..........http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055551195

it's about time this got some attention...... it was an absolute nightmare to deal with

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

I once got a summons from court for a traffic fine which I genuinely never received. I wonder are those cases dismissed as well.
    In my case I paid the fine after I got the court summons.

Advertisement