Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Council Housing Cut Off Point

Options
  • 02-06-2010 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭

Does anyone know what the max amount a person can earn to go onto the council housing list. It says on the website that €32,000.00 per year is the cut off for a single person looking to go on the list. Anyone know what it is for a lone parent? Do they give any lee-way in relation to child care etc. that must be paid. I can't find the answer online and I can't get through to anyone on teh phone. I've been on hold for about 50 minutes to them already.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

€32,000??? Wow- that doesn't sound right. I don't want to pay rent anymore!!!
    Applications for Social Housing and the Housing List

The income criteria for eligibility to apply for Social Housing are as follows:

Single income applicant: Less then € 40,000 in the previous tax year.

Joint applicants (2 incomes): 2.5 times the larger income plus 1 times the smaller income. If the total does not exceed €100,000, then you are eligible to apply.

Applicants also cannot be in ownership of any property and if a property had previously been owned, evidence of the sale of the property and the proceeds of the sale must be submitted with the application.

From the South Dublin county council website.

That's unreal. You can earn up to €100,000 between you as a couple and still apply for a council house? Wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭pampers1

This is from the Dublin City Council Website.

Complete the application form

Complete the following form and return it to us at the address below.

Download the Housing Application form

Or contact us at the address below to request a copy.

Before you send us the form, make you sure you meet these criteria:

You are 18 years of age or over.
    You live in Ireland or are legally entitled to live in Ireland.
    You need housing.
    You are unable to provide accommodation from your own resources.
    If you are single, your income must not have been more than €32,000 in the previous year. If you are a couple, your combined income must not have been more than €38,500 in the previous year.
    (Note: If a large portion of your income is used for rent this can be taken into consideration)

I rang up the Social Housing Company and they said I must be on this list before they can take me onto their list. Its all very strange that different sites say different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

pampers1 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the max amount a person can earn to go onto the council housing list. It says on the website that €32,000.00 per year is the cut off for a single person looking to go on the list. Anyone know what it is for a lone parent? Do they give any lee-way in relation to child care etc. that must be paid. I can't find the answer online and I can't get through to anyone on teh phone. I've been on hold for about 50 minutes to them already.

no there is no modification for having a child. Believe it or not couples have child care costs aswell ........

D3PO wrote: »
    no there is no modification for having a child. Believe it or not couples have child care costs aswell ........

together with two incomes!

Thanks for the replies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

Kimia wrote: »
    €32,000??? Wow- that doesn't sound right. I don't want to pay rent anymore!!!

QUOTE]

You pay rent in a council house!!! Means-tested.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Thats a huge chunk of the workforce right there that qualify for social housing, insane indeed.

I just can't get my head round the fact that there's one cut off point if you want to live in tallaght etc. and another one if you want to live somehwere else. Surely all of the City Councils should be in-sync with one another and have the same rules?

Yeh. DCC have a joint income limit of 38k while SDCC have 100k as listed in the above post. http://housing.southdublin.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=145&Itemid=190

Thats just ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

doesn't matter either way, you'll wait your whole life on a list. Unless you have a politician friend.

Well they are trying to fill the unsold affordable housing in Dublin with some of the social so i reckon its a good time to apply assuming there are vacant housing in your area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

What happens if you are living in a council house and get a salary increase that pushes you above the cut off point? Do you have to move out and rent privately?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭bert n ernie

If you've aready been allocated a house you would usually get a letter when they are doing their rents assessment, you'd have to submit your new income then along with anything else relevant that has changed your circumstances. You were deemed to have a housing need at the time they allocated, so they wont throw you out. Once you dont break the tenancy rulesof course! This only applies to council houses though, many of the other housing schemes, like respond/focus etc have a fixed term of residency and are not long term leases.

Advertisement