Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Watching World Cup games without the sound.

• 02-06-2010 1:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I'm gonna make a pledge for this world cup. If all I can hear in this world cup is air horns I'll go fookin mental. I'm gonna turn the sound off and watch it without sound. Those air horns destroy the atmosphere and get on my bloody nerves.

Anyone remember the last Confederations Cup? My head was melted. Lets hope Fifa have banned them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

GSPfan wrote: »
    Lets hope Fifa have banned them.

they havent.

and they're called vuvuzela's

vuvuzela.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

I'm gonna make a pledge for this world cup. If all I can hear in this world cup is air horns I'll go fookin mental. I'm gonna turn the sound off and watch it without sound. Those air horns destroy the atmosphere and get on my bloody nerves.

Anyone remember the last Confederations Cup? My head was melted. Lets hope Fifa have banned them.

Apparently, they won't be banned. Think of them as the equivalent of playing drums, or singing, or ringing a bell at games.

They are at the more annoying end of the scale though, will probably be watching some of it on mute as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

The only reason I would turn off the sound would be if kenny Cunningham was commentating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

It's actually unbearable. Even the friendlies are riddled with them for the entire 90 minutes.

I'll have lost interest in the tournament by the knockout stages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

How about mute the tv sound during the match and throw on the radio where the commentators voice is more prominent and those silly bugle things are much more quiet. Simplesssss. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

LOL at the Kenny Cunningham comment.

Thank God its not just me then! It has been bugging me about this World Cup for ages. Russians seem to be mad into them aswell when I see games over there. They drive me insane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

EZE has it there, there is likely to be Radio five live commentary available for all games anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

watched some goal celebration thing on sky sports last week

south Africa team got a goal scoring celebration teacher in and there goal celebration for the world cup is going be dedicated to them air horns :mad: :mad:

really not liken it :(

(EZE) Now there's a man thinking outside the box. Good man yourself. I used to listen to the radio and watch the little sky sports box up in the corner of the Cablelink channel back in the day when I couldn't afford sky. Watched the Liverpool v United (3-3) game that way. ah memories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

eZe^ wrote: »
    How about mute the tv sound during the match and throw on the radio where the commentators voice is more prominent and those silly bugle things are much more quiet. Simplesssss. :D

Great idea actually, but only provided that it is in sync with the video.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

Those horns ruined the confederations cup for me, I couldn't watch it with that racket in the background. Some people hate the sound of scraping on a blackboard, I don't....I absolutely detest the sound of these horns though:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

If the audio engineers at the TV companies had any sense they wouldn't be an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

but1er wrote: »
    watched some goal celebration thing on sky sports last week

south Africa team got a goal scoring celebration teacher in and there goal celebration for the world cup is going be dedicated to them air horns :mad: :mad:

really not liken it :(

Yeah saw that myself,Andy Ansah it was,your man who does that program with Rooney and he is credited with coming up with the word 'tekkers'.Plonkers more like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BigBenRoeth

I think them Vuvuzelas are grand

I think them Vuvuzelas are grand

I hate you :mad:

I hate you :mad:

I hate me too :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,414 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Apparently, they won't be banned. Think of them as the equivalent of playing drums, or singing, or ringing a bell at games.

They are at the more annoying end of the scale though, will probably be watching some of it on mute as well.

Ah Christ I thought they were going to be banned .
    They are the most annoying noise ever,worse than Chinese torture , and they completely drown out the atmosphere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

times like this i wish the actual world cup was like fifa world cup 10 on the ps3/xbox.....go into audio settings--> Vuvuzela volume --> min!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Meh, I'm happy to have them. Gives a bit of character event, like the Mexican Wave or the ticker-tape parades in Argentina. They certainly didn't bother me during the confederations cup anyway.

Tho I don't know if I'll have the same opinion after 64 games. Let's see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Am I missing something here?

Even if you put on the radio commentary, you still get the vuvus don't you?

They are commentating from the same stadium??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Actually, I don't mind them at all. Its part of their culture, they are hosting the tournament, so let them at it and enjoy it, I say!

Although, I wasn't saying that when one of them was being blown in my ear when Ireland were playing South Africa in Thomond Park! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I remember them from the Confederations Cup. Man they were annoying! Sounded like bees invaded the stadium. Even the players were complaining about them.

There is hope though, if England are playing USA, then, I assume majority would be American/English in the stadium, who won't buy those horns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

IvySlayer wrote: »
    I remember them from the Confederations Cup. Man they were annoying! Sounded like bees invaded the stadium. Even the players were complaining about them.

There is hope though, if England are playing USA, then, I assume majority would be American/English in the stadium, who won't buy those horns.

Yeh but instead we will have to hear that Trumpet band playing the great escape theme song for the umpteeth time. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Anyone that doesnt find this annoying need their ears checked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

FreeOSCAR wrote: »
    Great idea actually, but only provided that it is in sync with the video.

BBC sometimes have an option to choose alternative commenatries so you can pick up 5 Live through pressing the red button

I remember watching the 1990 WC game between Holland and England in a bar in Madrid with a large screen that insisted on playing music instead of the commentary. I was jumping around the bar for joy when Pearce "scored" from the indirect free-kick right at the end of the game.

Very embarrassing all round (for me anyway)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

Mark my words these yokes are gonna be the talk/controversy of the tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

I'd rather them than that annoying band that follow England everywhere playing the great escape and other shítty tunes.

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    I'd rather them than that annoying band that follow England everywhere playing the great escape and other shítty tunes.

Let's hope John "Portsmouth Football Club" Westwood isn't going to south Africa to follow England.....

• Advertisement

Bodhisopha wrote: »

If you can come back here in July and say the same thing I'll believe you.

Those vuvuzelas are the work of the devil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Nemanja91 wrote: »
    The only reason I would turn off the sound would be if kenny Cunningham was commentating.

It's his ****ing eyes that freak me out.. As such, I will be listening to the half time show with the picture off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

tbh, if they were to ban them you'd have to ban that idiot at portsmouth and that band that plays the theme from the great escape at england games

they annoy me way more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

It's his ****ing eyes that freak me out.. As such, I will be listening to the half time show with the picture off!

It's his eyebrows that get me. Jumping about the place of their own free will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Yeah I remember them from the Confederations Cup and they are awful. I hope it doesn't start a trend around the world.

Edit: I'm referring to the vuvuzelas and not Kenny Cunningham's eyebrows. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

I'd imagine engineers at TV stations will be able to reduce the volume of the vuvuzelas.

• Advertisement

Frisbee wrote: »
    It's his eyebrows that get me. Jumping about the place of their own free will.

Spot on. I say that to everyone. He is yet another rte pleb.

MR NINE wrote: »
    I'd imagine engineers at TV stations will be able to reduce the volume of the vuvuzelas.

I bet ya they wont. Half the crowd will have these fookin things. Those youtube videos have made me even more furious just listening to it. This world cup will be marred by these things. It'll be forever known as the World Cup that annoyed the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭craggles

MR NINE wrote: »

Nope, they couldn't do it for the Confederations Cup.

I dont understand why they didnt ban them for every game except SA's matches and other African games,where vuvuzela's are common place?

There will be murder at these matches,when there is a stadium full of european based fans who have no experience of them and some random Saffer is blowing the thing right in his ear you be sure he will be told to shut it.

Stupidity on Fifa's part.
    craggles wrote: »

I doubt the beeb actually had any engineers over there and not as many people watched the confed as will watch the world cup.Hopefully all the complaints they will get,force them to do something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

craggles wrote: »

World Cups a much bigger deal though. I'd expect major tv stations to go to the trouble of hiring audio engineers who should be well capable of filtering out the sound of the vuvuzelas to a certain extent, at least ensuring that they're not the most prominent noise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

world_cup_1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Doubt it will be as bad for the WC as there wont just be south african fans at all the games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

(EZE) Now there's a man thinking outside the box. Good man yourself. I used to listen to the radio and watch the little sky sports box up in the corner of the Cablelink channel back in the day when I couldn't afford sky. Watched the Liverpool v United (3-3) game that way. ah memories.

Me to! Way better then this silly 3D nonsence aswell.The bloody screen would change every couple of mins with the sky sports box missing!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,414 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

event wrote: »
    tbh, if they were to ban them you'd have to ban that idiot at portsmouth and that band that plays the theme from the great escape at england games

they annoy me way more

I thought Portsmouth banned that guy from using his bell ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Nemanja91 wrote: »

..... Even before Jim Beglin , I have actually changed channels when he is commentating .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

No, i think they made a special "singing section" for drums and bells and stuck him in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,595 ✭✭✭baldbear

When there was talk with FIFA of banning those cnut pipes prick Blatter said "We should not try to Europeanise an African World Cup".
    It would have to wreck the players heads too.
    I'd love to replace the horn with Bill O'Herlihys voice saying "okey dokey"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Just on April fools day...

Lord god,never heard such sh1te over fcucking horns.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

It's amazing the opinions fellas have regarding horns;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement