Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football and hurling tips

• 02-06-2010 1:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭

I think a separate thread for the championship is a good idea as I've seen tips and bets nested in other threads so better to have them all in one place.

I'll start the ball off by saying Cork to beat Kerry at evens is my nap of the weekend. Cork can't beat Kerry in the AI series but they own them in the Munster championship and I don't see that changing this year.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Leinster Hurling Championship Quarter Final

Dublin (-5) vs Laois

Dublin to win by7.9 points

Munster Hurling Championship Semi Final

Waterford (-3) vs Clare

Waterford to win by 4-6 points

No handicap odds up yet on the other 2 hurling games. Although i reckon Waterford in the region of -3 or -4 and Kerry about -7.

funnyname i'm not sure if i can go with Cork against Kerry this time. Cork have a poor record in Kilarney and i don't think Kerry will want to go through the qualifiers again. Also Cork have Canty, Murphy or Lynch and Miskella will probably on get a run near the end. While Kerry pretty much have a full strong squad. Think Kerry at evens will be my bet. Anyways good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Football odds here

http://www.oddschecker.com/other-sports/gaelic-games/gaelic-football

Hurling odds here

http://www.oddschecker.com/other-sports/gaelic-games/hurling

Tough weekend to call betting wise. The best bets still are Tyrone @ 5-4 to win Ulster and Dublin @ 6-5 to win Leinster (both football).

For the AI I fancy KK for the hurling and Kerry for the football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭In_tuition

Wicklow will beat Westmeath.

Actually fancy a small bet on the winning margin in that match 7-9pts at 9/1.

Also Kildare will beat Louth.

Can't believe some people are suggesting it will be close (a lot in Louth and Kildare quarters). Kildare were fantastic in a recent friendly against Mayo in Longwood and although they have been under par in the league campaign, their performance in that friendly proves they can reach the heights of last year. Again 7-9pts is interesting at 9/2.

It's tough to call Munster, but Kerry have the edge slightly in Killarney so at evens you'd have to place the bet on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭funnyname

Being a traditionalist I'd call it a challenge match rather than a friendly.

Kerry are best odds of 5/4 so hope you haven't made your bet at evens just yet.

I know Kerry have a full squad available but they are missing a lot of players from last year through retirement so I think that will stand against them. Although them have the bonus if a good match already under their belts, will be a feirce game but I think Cork will do it and I also think they'll win the AI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

In_tuition wrote: »
    Wicklow will beat Westmeath.

Actually fancy a small bet on the winning margin in that match 7-9pts at 9/1.

Also Kildare will beat Louth.

Can't believe some people are suggesting it will be close (a lot in Louth and Kildare quarters). Kildare were fantastic in a recent friendly against Mayo in Longwood and although they have been under par in the league campaign, their performance in that friendly proves they can reach the heights of last year. Again 7-9pts is interesting at 9/2.

It's tough to call Munster, but Kerry have the edge slightly in Killarney so at evens you'd have to place the bet on them.

I would agree about Kerry.

• Advertisement

funnyname wrote: »
    Being a traditionalist I'd call it a challenge match rather than a friendly.

Kerry are best odds of 5/4 so hope you haven't made your bet at evens just yet.

I'd no idea of the best priced. Just noticed them at evens earlier on PP when eyeing up the Kildare match. I notice now that Neil, the ladbrokes compiler, is offering slightly better. Fair play to them.

I don't think I will be having a bet and any bet I do have will likely be towards the end of the second half in running.

Good luck with your bets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

When Cork won in Munster last year, Donaghy wasn't playing.
    The value of Donaghy is immeasurable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

When Cork won in Munster last year, Donaghy wasn't playing.
    The value of Donaghy is immeasurable.

Agreed - Donaghy is vital to Kerry. He is worth 2 Tommy Walshes who was practically invisible until the AI final last year. Kerry were however very lucky to snatch a draw in Killarney last year as they were woeful whereas Cork played well. If I was to have a bet I would have to back Kerry though I dont think its a game to be backing on. Either way they will be both be knocking around come September.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭glanman

I think a separate thread for the championship is a good idea as I've seen tips and bets nested in other threads so better to have them all in one place.

I'll start the ball off by saying Cork to beat Kerry at evens is my nap of the weekend. Cork can't beat Kerry in the AI series but they own them in the Munster championship and I don't see that changing this year.

I would also favour Cork slightly but I would avoid backing to win the game, back to win munster. Cuts out the danger of a draw and the winner of this will win munster, more than likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭bookie basher

cork winning margins 1-6 is around 6/4
    kerry winning margins 1-6 is around 9/5

which one to do?, im thinking kerry

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

I notice now that Neil, the ladbrokes compiler, is offering slightly better. Fair play to them.

5/6 on Cork. Lads and POwers pricing the game to 111%, most other places to 109%. 111% is a disgraceful margin for a game like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭oppiuy

What price are Laois. If the odds are tasty I'd have a few quid on them. Joe Fitzpatrick is back this year and a move into midfield from half back for both club and country have seen a great improvement in an already class player.

The dubs would be worthy fav's but they mite just take there eye off the ball

5/6 on Cork. Lads and POwers pricing the game to 111%, most other places to 109%. 111% is a disgraceful margin for a game like this.

I was just referring to Lads being the only firm best priced on Cork.

Not ideal over round but wouldn't call them disgraceful.

110 is reasonable for GAA fixtures.

Considering Irish horse-racing can reach 150 and above, disgraceful is a bit harsh :)

Not ideal over round but wouldn't call them disgraceful.

110 is reasonable for GAA fixtures.

Considering Irish horse-racing can reach 150 and above, disgraceful is a bit harsh :)

A match between the 2 favorites for the All Ireland should be done to 109 at most in my opinion. Completely different scenario to horse racing.

Lads and Powers are arguably the 2 biggest GAA bookies on the go (in terms of turnover on the sport). The fact that they are blatantly that uncompetitive is very weak. I know in Powers it's a board driven directive and I suspect something similar in Ladbrokes. It's ust a great pity that more people don't vote with their pockets and go elsewhere.

It's ust a great pity that more people don't vote with their pockets and go elsewhere.

Personally I don't normally bet until the final quarter of a GAA match. It's usually then when the match is won and lost and if the odds are favourable it's only then I'll place a bet.

I agree with what you say but no firm is going to go much lower than 110% on a GAA match. That's their benchmark.

The over/under player points market is quite exploitable on a regular basis. If you are quick enough.

I agree with what you say but no firm is going to go much lower than 110% on a GAA match. That's their benchmark.

Fair, 109% is the lowest even though you get top level soccer done to 103-105 at times. I don;t bet on GAA unless I get something from people that are good at it but it just annoys me generally when companies who are raking in money engage in blatantly uncompetitive pricing knwoing that their core of customers are too lazy to shop around. They should take a fair margin and no more.

For Ladbrokes, at least their guy has an opinion and is going best price on something rather than hiding behind his enforced margin and sticking up a generic line.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭oppiuy

Willie Hyland is worth a punt as first goalscorer on sat against Dublin. Afriend on the Laois panel tells me Niall Rigney has told him that any free inside 30 yards he's to go for goal in the first 30 mins..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Im goning to lump on Kerry big time possible 2k against cork on Sunday, ill post a screenshot if i put on the bet, Just in case im called into question:rolleyes:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭glanman

Im goning to lump on Kerry big time possible 2k against cork on Sunday, ill post a screenshot if i put on the bet, Just in case im called into question:rolleyes:.

Would you not take my advice and back them to win Munster? Saves the danger of a draw... I know it adds another game but Kerry or Cork will beat Limerick/Waterford...

Also, what is your reasoning for "lumping on Kerry" out of interest...

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭ALTESSE12

Kerry will not want to lose in Killarney, besides they are a more complete team than Cork, everyone has Cork favs for All Ireland but until they prove it...Kerry are still the best

• Advertisement

glanman wrote: »
    Would you not take my advice and back them to win Munster? Saves the danger of a draw... I know it adds another game but Kerry or Cork will beat Limerick/Waterford...

Also, what is your reasoning for "lumping on Kerry" out of interest...

I think there great value at Evs plus there playing in Killarney.

if anyone is betting on kerry this weekend please have a look at the best odds available before making your bet, no point going for evens with your usual bookie when you can get 5/4 at a different one, especially if you are lumping on.

http://www.oddschecker.com/other-sports/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/kerry-v-cork/win-market

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Galvin wasn't named in the starting 15 & will undergo a fitness test before the game. Would definitely hold out and see if he's playing before I bet on Kerry.

Yeah true i will probabaly wait until tomorrow evening before lumping on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭coughlan08

just a word of caution.

corks keeper is from my club VALLEY ROVERS,(ALAN QUIRKE)
    he has been interviewed 2 times this week about him starting as he hasnt trained with his club or county this year yet..

actually he was droped from being the starting keeper for our first round in the senior championship,he was replaced by one of my best friend gerard who is only 19,,this shows the respect that our club has for him,,,personally i think he is a disgrace,he expects to walk onto the club team.
    for him to be started for cork is a very very bad decision,his frame of mind is completely off the game,and personally i can see him having a disaster of a game...

just my insied knowleadge of the situation,
    if you have any other questions about the game or this keeper situation just let me know..

its looking good for kerry to say the least;)

personally i think this is a very fair bet,,

GAA Football Matches
    Kerry v Cork
    2010-06-06 16:00:00
    Player C Total Points
    K Donaghy Over 2.5 Points
    5/4

All he would need is to get a goal,and with the above post in mind its a good one at that,this is the only bet for me...
    €100 returns €225
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

After having a look at the odds for the Mayo-Sligo game tomorrow, one stand out price was E.Varley to outscore C.McGee of Sligo @ 11/10. This lad is a top class forward; pacy, skillful and a top point (and goal) getter. I should know, ive marked him a couple of times over the years in club level and im brilliant:pac::pac:

But seriously I think these odds are a great price considering he finished top scorer for Mayo in this years league campaign, missing the final through injury. However, hes back now playing for his club Garrymore and has the other corner forward place along with Alan Freeman (cousin of the lad who tragically lost his life in Australia.. RIP).

So thats my tip anyhow for tomorrows Connacht Championship match. Also gonna throw something on Sligo/Mayo ht/ft @ 4/1...big possibility this too as Mayo will take a while to settle and could be a point or 2 down at ht with Sligo having the home and confidence factor from their Croke Park win recently. Mhaigh Eo Abu;)

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭alitoast

great to see a thread about the GAA startin up and great to see so many knowledgable(i hope) posts up. anyway, i've gone for an accumulator to start with this weekend, only a small bet.....

10er will return 210 profit.....fingers crossed

wicklow v westmeath .......wicklow a stronger outfit with the Carlow match under their belts sure to be a positive and westmeath have a few lads only getting back to training now after injury, dolan not starting and a chance for wicklow to avenge last years defeat.

W'ford v Limerick......repeat of Div 4 final where Limerick won, waterford had it in the bag with a chance in the second half that struck the post, had it gone in i think they would have won (they did win in the gaelic grounds earlier in the year). i am backing Waterford as 2/1 is too big for the deise, dungarvan and a chance of a munster final, represents value for me.

Kildare (-4) v Louth........I really think McGeeney will have Kildare fired up for a real crack at a leinster title this year, Earley missing is a huge blow but 11/10 -4, i think they should still be too strong for louth

Armagh
    v Monaghan....impressed with the new Armagh set up, kernan at 11 can control a game with his eye for a pass and good footballing brain....monaghan i think are over reliant on some of their big name forwards....will be close though.

although i wont be betting on the big one i fancy kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭gaatipstr

Im gona go with the following

Sligo to beat Mayo 11/4
    Kildare to beat louth by 1-3 points 11/4
    Kerry to beat Cork 6/5
    Waterford to beat Limerick 2/1

92.81/1 Might be worth a fiver

Gonna do 20Euro singles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

gaatipstr wrote: »
    Im gona go with the following

Sligo to beat Mayo 11/4
    Kildare to beat louth by 1-3 points 11/4
    Kerry to beat Cork 6/5
    Waterford to beat Limerick 2/1

91.81/1 Might be worth a fiver

Gonna do 20Euro singles

FYP, sorry it's a pet peev of mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭gavmcfad

coughlan08 wrote: »
    personally i think this is a very fair bet,,

GAA Football Matches
    Kerry v Cork
    2010-06-06 16:00:00
    Player C Total Points
    K Donaghy Over 2.5 Points
    5/4

All he would need is to get a goal,and with the above post in mind its a good one at that,this is the only bet for me...
    €100 returns €225

That sounds too good to be true. Who is that with?

gavmcfad wrote: »

Donaghys scoring profile for Kerry......good stats against cork but your banking on him scoring a goal, not much of a point taker

http://www.gaainfo.com/players/football/kerry/Kieran%20Donaghy.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

alitoast wrote: »
    W'ford v Limerick......repeat of Div 4 final where Limerick won, waterford had it in the bag with a chance in the second half that struck the post, had it gone in i think they would have won (they did win in the gaelic grounds earlier in the year). i am backing Waterford as 2/1 is too big for the deise, dungarvan and a chance of a munster final, represents value for me.

While I agree with your sentiment that Waterford at 2/1 is too big (5/2 with PP), Limerick have a lot of players back and I do think Limerick will win but they aren't a 2/5 favourite by any means although they do have good options on the bench if things start to go wrong. Limerick footballers hammer no one and get hammered by no one. They are that sort of a team and I can see Waterford running them very close.

gone with an acca of

Armagh
    Wicklow
    Kildare
    Mayo
    Waterford

£10 at 21/1 with PP

and a £15 single on Cork at evens also with PP

Browney7 wrote: »
    While I agree with your sentiment that Waterford at 2/1 is too big (5/2 with PP), Limerick have a lot of players back and I do think Limerick will win but they aren't a 2/5 favourite by any means although they do have good options on the bench if things start to go wrong. Limerick footballers hammer no one and get hammered by no one. They are that sort of a team and I can see Waterford running them very close.

agreed, straight out i would pick limerick but looking for value and waterford are too big imo. interested to see how this pans out. done a treble on the other picks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Sir Vival

i've gone for two singles both @11/10
    (1) mark brehony over 4.5 pts (€6 returns €12.60)
    (2) alan smith (kildare) to outscore shane lennon (louth) (€6.50 returns €13.65)

i reckon if sligo play well then bet (1) should come through, also brehony had a very good league final.

Also the last i saw of alan smith he was playing very well and i'd fancy kildare to come through this fixture by 4 or 5 pts.

gavmcfad wrote: »

paddypower..good odds alri mate
    Donaghys scoring profile for Kerry......good stats against cork but your banking on him scoring a goal, not much of a point taker

he doesnt have to score a goal for my bet to come in,hes more than able of scoring 3 points from play,even though his main job is to lay off quality ball..
    ere ive gone for it now anyway,im fairly confident...

coughlan08 wrote: »
    paddypower..good odds alri mate

he doesnt have to score a goal for my bet to come in,hes more than able of scoring 3 points from play,even though his main job is to lay off quality ball..
    ere ive gone for it now anyway,im fairly confident...

he has never scored more than 2 points for Kerry. I liked the look of it myself to be honest, i fancy he'll get the scores for you to win your bet i.e. one in the back of the net.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Kod-box

Anyone watching the Mayo V Sligo game, Sligo are playing well, 2 points down but have the wind in the 2nd half...gonna throw a few quid on them now at 5.8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Kod-box

Kod-box wrote: »
    Anyone watching the Mayo V Sligo game, Sligo are playing well, 2 points down but have the wind in the 2nd half...gonna throw a few quid on them now at 5.8

GET IN THERE

Sligo won by 4 points in the end :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭gaatipstr

Thank you sligo. Hope people had a bit on them. Mayo did there usual chokeing when it matters

Louth over 19.5 @5/6 looks like a great bet to me. That's just 6 more points in the second half.

Louth over 19.5 @5/6 looks like a great bet to me. That's just 6 more points in the second half.

Easy as you like :D

EDIT: Gone with Kildare +2.5 @ 5/6 now

Super bet, who was mad enough to give you those odds?

Super bet, who was mad enough to give you those odds?

Bet365.

great to see a thread about the GAA startin up and great to see so many knowledgable(i hope) posts up. anyway, i've gone for an accumulator to start with this weekend, only a small bet.....

10er will return 210 profit.....fingers crossed

wicklow v westmeath .......wicklow a stronger outfit with the Carlow match under their belts sure to be a positive and westmeath have a few lads only getting back to training now after injury, dolan not starting and a chance for wicklow to avenge last years defeat.

Kildare (-4) v Louth........I really think McGeeney will have Kildare fired up for a real crack at a leinster title this year, Earley missing is a huge blow but 11/10 -4, i think they should still be too strong for louth

Armagh
    v Monaghan....impressed with the new Armagh set up, kernan at 11 can control a game with his eye for a pass and good footballing brain....monaghan i think are over reliant on some of their big name forwards....will be close though.

although i wont be betting on the big one i fancy kerry.

Stop the lights......lump on Westmeath quick :rolleyes::rolleyes:

some weekend for the underdogs...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭dotsflan

Stop the lights......lump on Westmeath quick :rolleyes::rolleyes:

some weekend for the underdogs...

definetly a good weekend for the bookies:mad:

Have a Kerry/Wicklow double @ just over 7/2

Kerry all the way 11/8 on bf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭dotsflan

having a very poor weekend on the gaa so very small stakes for me on this, €3 darren o sullivan 1st goal 10/1 and €2 kerry to win by 7-8 pts 15/1

• Advertisement
Advertisement