Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

private purchase of a car

• 02-06-2010 1:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Was wondering if could give me your opnion about the following story:

I purchased a car privately about 2 weeks ago. The ad clearly states 2 keys will be provided with the vehicle.

I gave the chap a deposit and he gave me a receipt. a few days later I went to collect the car and gave him the balance, completed the transaction.

I decided to go ahead and buy even though when completing the transaction he told me he couldn't find the key but he definitely has it. He assured me he would find it within the next few days and get back to me. Still nothing. I have texts messages from him to prove that he did not provide me with the second key.

The dealer wants 200 euro for a new key.

Do I have a leg to stand on if he never provides me with the key? is there any point in starting legal action?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Donal199

u didnt get the spare key?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,450 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

If he promised you he was getting you the spare key he should get it for you, tell him it's costing you 200 for a new key and if he can't find the key you want him to pay for the new one.

I wouldn't be getting legal just yet, not really worth it over a key just put the pressure on him.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Buy first, repent at leisure. You should have insisted on 2 keys at the time of purchase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Are yo sure he doesn't ahve it or is he just being lazy? I'd say to him 'I'll be passing your place at the weekend- will you have it for me then?' If he doesn't have it then, forget about it. Just resign yourself to having to replace it yourself at some point in the future. If you wanted 5 star service, you will pay for that too.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

If he promised you he was getting you the spare key he should get it for you, tell him it's costing you 200 for a new key and if he can't find the key you want him to pay for the new one.

I wouldn't be getting legal just yet, not really worth it over a key just put the pressure on him.

What if the spare key fell into nafarious hands, and was used to purlion said vehicle? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'm afraid it's alot easier to get these things sorted before handing over money whether it be a private sale or from a dealer. Once the seller has parted with the car and received the money there really isn't the same motivation to go searching for things like a key to a car they don't own anymore. My gut feeling is that if the seller could have found the key then they would have already given it with the car.

Definately contact the seller again and ask again, maybe he/she may look for it but honestly there really isn't anything you can do other than that as verbal promises made at the time of sale are not worth the paper they are written on, and even more so when it involves a private sale.

Lesson learned for next time me thinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

These days buying a car without 2 cars is taking a real chance. At best they are expensive to replace, at worse it poses questions about the cars history. Most newish cars are stolen by stealing one key....not saying this happened here but would certainly start alarm bells ringing for me.

Advertisement