Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In the Playpen: KnifeWRENCH

Options
  • 02-06-2010 1:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭

Well lads. There once was a man, but that’s irrelevant. What we’re dealing with here is a druid...a MEAN one. So hip he can’t be square(igloo); one of the few people to put more effort into finding Interpol than they put into finding him; such a towering intellect that he’s dissolved into giggles at jokes whose punch-lines were “only if the horse was completely spherical and in a vacuum” and “and then Descartes disappeared”. He does like Six Feet Under, but in the context of his general amazingness we’ll forgive him that. All in all a super cool blend of virulent cynicism and absolute apathy- everyone please put your hands together and resist the urge to become naked, we know him, we love him (though he’s coolly indifferent to us at best), our Nicky Wire hating, Christina Hendricks loving, Corkonian corker of a mod...

KnifeWRENCH!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

First in, woohoo! Can I haz medal plz?

Do you enjoy modding this nut house C&H or is it a pain in the backside?

Best C&H moment/thread/post yet?

What's your favourite Interpol song?

Have you ever seen them live before?

Were you shocked and amazed that time we got to meet deise and soccy in Stephen's Green?

If you could be any type of vegetable in the world, what would you be and why?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭deisedude

Favourite UCC boardsie? *cough * cough

What is your top 3 favourite bands?

What is your favourite book?

Favourite square number?

Favourite movie?

Favourite food?

Favourite class you've had so far in your course?

If you hadn't become a maths/physics nerd, what other course might you be doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

Your username is awesome, do you agree?

Which is the more useful side of the KnifeWRENCH!! and why?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Favourite mod? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

Favourite songs?

Favourite Smashing Pumpkins album/song?

Any plans in particular for after your degree?

Best memory? (feel free to ignore if it's something overly personal)

What first brought you to boards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

What's the last song you heard that made you go "Gee, that's bloody brilliant"?

Favourite Velvet Underground song?

Top five bands?

Favourite male and female vocalists?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Generic:

- Favourite meaning of \o/?
    - Do you like to dance? If not, whyever not? :O
    - What irritates you most about society, and what do you like most about it?

Others:

- Maths or physics, and why?
    - What do you think the nicest branch of maths is? Like, I think analysis is pretty, but you seem to hate it.. :pac:
    - Nicest flavour(s) of ice-cream?
    - Any weird phobias?
    - Which are more adorable - kittens or puppies? :D
    - Favourite place(s) you've visited, in Ireland and/or elsewhere?
    - If you could time-travel to any place and any time in the past or future, where and when would it be, and why?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

I once heard that UCC was massive but the lectures are crap, would this be a correct statement?

Favourite colour?

Favourite day of the week and why?

Do you enjoy being a mod? If so why?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Why have I never seen you in real life? Especially despite the fact we were apparently both in the Aula Maxima at the same time last Thursday...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Kerry or Dublin

Kerry people or Dublin people

If you were told by the Admins, you could ban any C&H regular for no reason at all. Who would it be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Well lads. There once was a man, but that’s irrelevant. What we’re dealing with here is a druid...a MEAN one. So hip he can’t be square(igloo); one of the few people to put more effort into finding Interpol than they put into finding him; such a towering intellect that he’s dissolved into giggles at jokes whose punch-lines were “only if the horse was completely spherical and in a vacuum” and “and then Descartes disappeared”. He does like Six Feet Under, but in the context of his general amazingness we’ll forgive him that. All in all a super cool blend of virulent cynicism and absolute apathy- everyone please put your hands together and resist the urge to become naked, we know him, we love him (though he’s coolly indifferent to us at best), our Nicky Wire hating, Christina Hendricks loving, Corkonian corker of a mod...

KnifeWRENCH!

Thank you Caleb Rich Rainfall for that perfectly adequate introduction. I hereby deem it to be of "acceptable" standard. :p
    Hotaru wrote: »
    First in, woohoo! Can I haz medal plz?
    No. No you may not.

Do you enjoy modding this nut house C&H or is it a pain in the backside?
    It's grand most of the time; there's hardly ever any trouble (I just jinxed that now, didn't I) and whenever any bad shit does go down it's always either Insect or Piste who's online! :pac: So yes, I do enjoy it. One thing I don't like doing is having to infract or ban users who I get on with, but rules is rules and I try to be as impartial as I can.

Best C&H moment/thread/post yet?
    Best moment - I don't know if I could pick just one. But the Jizzlers was definitely a highlight (even though I didn't win anything. :mad: Yes, I am still bitter....) The Jizzlers showed how much the forum has grown and how much of a community has formed, and I think that's really cool considering the huge amount of opposition to this forum before it even got set up.

Best thread I think is "Soundtrack to Your Angst" just for the sheer amount of awesome music (and some, let's be honest, crap!) that's in it.

Best post? Easy:
    What did one bean say to the other bean? Hello bean!
    :D

What's your favourite Interpol song?
    Untitled. One of the most perfect intros to an album you'll ever hear in your life. A close second would be The Heinrich Maneuver, which is the catchiest most awesome pop song ever and yet manages to retain insane coolness. :cool:

Have you ever seen them live before?
    Nope. I'm very excited at the prospect of November now.

Were you shocked and amazed that time we got to meet deise and soccy in Stephen's Green?
    I was. It was an extraordinary sight. I think it was quite rude of them not to come over and say hello though....

If you could be any type of vegetable in the world, what would you be and why?
    Erm....zucchini. Simply because it's a funny word.
    deisedude wrote: »
    Favourite UCC boardsie? *cough * cough
    Caleb Rich Rainfall will kill me if I don't say her (but of course it's really you deise!)

What is your top 3 favourite bands?
    Very tough choice. I'm gonna go with Smashing Pumpkins, Radiohead and The Breeders but there are at least 10 other bands that would vie for fourth place.

What is your favourite book?
    Don't really have one absolute favourite, but A Clockwork Orange is pretty amazing. The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy is also brilliant.

Favourite square number?
    i² - it does so much!
    Favourite movie?
    I'm not much of a movie person. Monty Python and the Holy Grail is a timeless classic that's always gonna be hard to top. Another contender (even though it was only released last year) is Inglourious Basterds. I really love that film.

Favourite food?
    Walkers Thai Sweet Chilli crisps - OMNOMNOM.....

Favourite class you've had so far in your course?
    On the physics side, Nuclear and Particle Physics is fascinating. On the Maths side, Graph Theory is really cool.

If you hadn't become a maths/physics nerd, what other course might you be doing?
    Probably Geography, as that was my favourite subject in school after Maths and Physics.

The Times & Citizen is a free local newspaper published on Thursdays in Bedford, Bedfordshire, England.

Jako8 wrote: »
    Your username is awesome, do you agree?
    Yes, it is rather cool if I may say so myself.

Which is the more useful side of the KnifeWRENCH!! and why?
    Well, you can hit someone on the head with the wrench. But you can stab someone in the gut with the knife. Hmmm.......I reckon the knife would have more uses for me. You don't really need a wrench unless you're a mechanic or into DIY. And I'm not either of those.
    Favourite mod? :pac:
    Why, Piste of course. Silly question. NEXT.
    Craguls wrote: »
    Favourite songs?
    What, of all time? Aw man, that's a frickin' impossible question that would require a lot of consideration. The one song that never fails to give me goosebumps is "Lucky" by Radiohead, so I'll go with that.

Favourite Smashing Pumpkins album/song?
    Favourite album - Adore. Without doubt. Not only my fav. Pumpkins album, but my favourite album ever.
    Favourite song - Starla. 11 minutes and 1 second of epic beauty.

Any plans in particular for after your degree?
    Travel the world. Or else end up on the dole. Haven't decided which yet.

Best memory? (feel free to ignore if it's something overly personal)
    Tbh I don't like these kind of questions; not because they're too personal but because I genuinely can't pick one. There is no moment in my life that stands out as a brilliant memory. It's the same with "What was the best day of your life?" - I have no idea because no day in my life stands out as being that good. I can only hope the best day of my life hasn't come yet. Of course, if I get hit by a bus tomorrow, then fcuk it; today is the best day of my life. Mainly down to the lack of being hit by buses.

What first brought you to boards?
    The music forums, I think. 15 year old me (then called squigloo, bless!) saw shiny posts on a big new shiny forum and decided to jump in without reading a single charter and not having a clue what a Moderater was.

15 year old me was an idiot. If I could go back in time, I'd punch myself in the face.
    Monzo wrote: »
    What's the last song you heard that made you go "Gee, that's bloody brilliant"?
    I recently bought the album Surrealistic Pillow by Jefferson Airplane as it was recommended by a friend. Listened to the first three tracks and though "Yes, this is really good."
    Then the fourth track, "Today", came on. I was absolutely stunned. It's only three minutes long but it is one of the most achingly beautiful love songs I have ever heard in my life. It made scrap the word good and describe that album as fan-frickin'-tastic.

Favourite Velvet Underground song?
    Heroin is incredible. When the fourth verse ends and it all turns into a squealing mess of white noise and electric viola, it's absolutely incredible. I always play that bit of the song at full volume and imagine if this is really the aurul equivalent of what heroin is like.
    Venus in Furs, Andy's Chest, What Goes On and Lady Godiva's Operation are all brilliant aswell, but Heroin just about edges it as my favourite,

Top five bands?
    Heh, I already said Smashing Pumpkins, Radiohead and The Breeders, and didn't I say that there were about 10 bands vying for fourth?
    Well my remaining two positions in top 5 would go to two of the following; Pixies, Garbage, My Bloody Valentine, Interpol, The Beatles, The Velvet Underground, The White Stripes, The Sugarcubes, Sonic Youth, Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, Primal Scream and Massive Attack. Don't make me choose!

Favourite male and female vocalists?
    I'm gonna pick 5 of each, if that's alright.
    MALE - Billy Corgan, Thom Yorke, Jack White, Paul Banks, Nick Cave
    FEMALE - Bjork, Kim Deal, Kim Gordon, Cat Power, Shirley Manson,

The Large Dagger (Acronicta cuspis) is a moth of the family Noctuidae.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

KnifeWRENCH, I am now listening to Jefferson Airplane. Thank you!:D <3

So, any pets?

Are you a fan of the Harry Potter books?

Favourite cheesy chat-up line?

Heard any good jokes recently?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lou91

Favourite Six Feet Under character?

Going out or staying in?

Best thing about college?

Aoibheann wrote: »
    Generic:

- Favourite meaning of \o/?
    Person cheering. I used to love the 'vagina' interpretation, until someone pointed out that this would make o/ 'half a vagina'. That was not a pleasant thought.....
    - Do you like to dance? If not, whyever not? :O
    I love dancing, but I need to have a couple of drinks in me before I do it. Also, I use the word dancing in the lightest sense of the word. I have no sense of rhythm whatsoever.
    - What irritates you most about society, and what do you like most about it?
    Oh God. I could write a thesis on the things that piss me off about society.
    Scumbags is an obvious one; those so-called tough **** who just hassle people on the street for absolutely no reason sicken me. Anyone who attacks or impedes an emergency service vehicle deserves to die in a house fire or similar; it would be karmic retribution.
    Homophobia also really pisses me offt, as does the idea that a loving couple can't get married and adopt kids just because they're the same gender is really hard for me to get my head around.

What do I like about society? The fact that the vast majority of people you encounter in life have at least some shred of decency. It's reassuring to feel that the entire universe isn't full of pricks who are just out to get you.

Others:

- Maths or physics, and why?
    I hate both equally! :pac: But I'm gonna say Maths, simply because I can't stand experimental physics. I'm much more of a theorist than an experimentalist, and there's more scope to go down that route in Maths than there is in Physics.

- What do you think the nicest branch of maths is? Like, I think analysis is pretty, but you seem to hate it.. :pac:
    I don't hate analysis - I just hate having to study it! :D I prefer calculus to analysis, and I think abstract and linear algebra are both very "nice". Although my last abstract algebra exam was a failure of UK-Eurovision entry proportions. :(

- Nicest flavour(s) of ice-cream?
    CHOCOLATE! Without weird stuff lurking beneath it, like nuts or frickin' slices of banana (Onion will know what I'm on about here!)
    Toffee and strawberry are also really nice. I don't like plain vanilla - it's way too bland.
    As for favourite brand, you can't beat Ben & Jerry's.

- Any weird phobias?
    Nail files; I cannot stand to be in the same room as someone filing their nails. Even the thought of it makes me shudder; the noise of an emery board against nails is torture.
    I'm terrified of wasps, but I think as phobias go that one is quite rational. Coz they can, like, sting you and stuff.....

- Which are more adorable - kittens or puppies? :D
    Both are adorable, but kittens edge it slightly. They're less work; puppies can get very annoying when they'r hyper whereas kittens maintain a constant level of AWWWW.....

- Favourite place(s) you've visited, in Ireland and/or elsewhere?
    Favourite place in Ireland is probably Dublin. I just love being in the city. As for countryside, Wicklow is quite a nice county. And parts of Kerry are stunning, scenery wise.

- If you could time-travel to any place and any time in the past or future, where and when would it be, and why?
    I'd definitely go to the future, as I don't think returning to the past would be all that fulfilling. I'd be much more interested to live in the future than to live in the past. What year would I go to? I dunno - I'd use a random number generator or something! :D
    M&S* wrote: »
    I once heard that UCC was massive but the lectures are crap, would this be a correct statement?
    Well "massive" is a relative term; it's a large university but it wouldn't be massive compared to, say, UCD.
    As for the lectures being crap, it totally depends what course you're doing. I've heard conflicting reports of the various departments. But at the end of the day, a degree from UCC is generally just as good as a degree from any other 3rd level institute in Ireland.

Favourite colour?
    Green.

Favourite day of the week and why?
    I've always liked Thursday; I don't know why, there's just something about it.

Do you enjoy being a mod? If so why?
    I do enjoy modding because it's a responsibility, and I'm really grateful for the fact that the admins had enough trust in me to let me do it. Also boards has given me a lot and I like to give something back.
    I mostly enjoy it for the power though; there's nothing quite like banning someone who irritates me! :D
    Jay P wrote: »
    Why have I never seen you in real life? Especially despite the fact we were apparently both in the Aula Maxima at the same time last Thursday...
    Well I dunno about you but I generally didn't go to lectures for a lot of college this year, for various reasons. As for Thursday, I probably didn't notice you because I was too busy panicking about Complex Analysis (which thankfully turned out to be an ok exam.)
    I do think I saw you outside the library one day during the study motnh, eating a sandwich. But I was too embarassed to go over and say hello in case I was wrong.
    Btw you (and any other C&Her who goes to UCC) should go to the UCC forum meetups, if there are some next year. They're generally a good laugh.

/shameless plug for other forum :pac:
    unknown13 wrote: »
    Kerry or Dublin
    If I'm in a shopping mood, Dublin. If I'm in touristy sightseeing mood, Kerry.

Kerry people or Dublin people
    Kerry, since I don't really know any Dublin people that well. Whereas I know a good few Kerry people, and I'm about 25% Kerry myself! We hate to admit it, but Cork people and Kerry people really aren't that different.

If you were told by the Admins, you could ban any C&H regular for no reason at all. Who would it be?
    D4RK ONION. For teh megalulz!

The 2010 WNBA Draft is the league's annual process for determining which teams receive the rights to negotiate with players entering the league.

MavisDavis wrote: »
    KnifeWRENCH, I am now listening to Jefferson Airplane. Thank you!:D <3
    You're welcome! :)

So, any pets?
    A stray cat that came to our house nearly three years ago. We fed him once, and he hasn't left since. We never even named him; we just call him "The Cat" and feed him whenever he whines at us!
    We used have pet fish in a pond in our garden. However, they've pretty much formed their own ecosystem since they feed off the insects that are on the water and have been breeding successfully for the past three or four years. So we no longer keep fish as pets, but instead coexist with wild fish in our garden!

Are you a fan of the Harry Potter books?
    Yes, but I was very disappointed with the last book. The ending was rubbish.

Favourite cheesy chat-up line?
    "Nice shoes. Wanna fcuk?" is always a good one. Another personal favourite is "You put the sexy in dyslexia" I have never used a chatup line in my life though; I have neither the balls nor the stupidity to attempt it.

Heard any good jokes recently?
    How many feminists does it take to change a lightbulb?
    That's not very funny....

More of an "anti-joke" than a joke, but it made me lol heartily!
    Favourite Six Feet Under character?
    Brenda is a legend!

Going out or staying in?
    Depends on the night, but I generally prefer going out.

Best thing about college?
    Living away from home, making new friends, experiencing life for yourself more than you ever thought you would. Oh yeah, and education blah blah blah good job blah blah... :pac:

Daniel Owen (20 October, 1836 – 22 October, 1895), was a Welsh novelist, he is credited as being the foremost Welsh-language novelist of the 19th century

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

If you could spend an afternoon Extreme Facedowning with four other people, be they dead or alive (we'll presume for the purpose of this inquiry that any dead people would be reincarnated and you wouldn't be engaging in some freaky dead Facedown) who would they be?

Tom Carroll or Alexi?

Favourite bar in Cork?

Old Bar or New Bar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

Favourite album - Adore. Without doubt. Not only my fav. Pumpkins album, but my favourite album ever.

<3

Any guilty pleasures?

Drink of choice?

Hats; yeay or neay?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Religious beliefs?

Political beliefs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

What was the last thing someone gave out to you for?
    Any plans for the summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Banjo Fella

It's karaoke fun time and the world demands your voice! What song do you pick?

Who was your favourite teacher in secondary school?

What's your favourite item of clothing, and what makes you like it?

When you were little, was there anything you wanted to be when you grew up?

What's your favourite restaurant/café/place to chill in Cork?

What's one of your happiest memories so far this year?

Would you rather be reincarnated as a velociraptor or an awesome, bamboo-hungry panda?

McInerney in Speedos. How do I remove the image from my brain? D:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

If you could relive any day in your life, what day would it be, and why?

What is your favourite smell?

If you had to eat only one food for the rest of your life, what would you pick?

If you were given a blank piece of paper and a pen, what would you write or draw?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

If Aoibheann and I were to cover you in glittery eyeshadow, which colour would you like it to be? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

If you could change one thing what would it be?

Favourite question to ask/answer in the playpen

'sup?

favourite playpen thread/person you most want to see in the playpen?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

How good would rate alexi's use of Grasshoppers?

Has electro's housemates forgiven you and L for all the trauma ye caused them :p

Favourite place to chillax in Cork/UCC.

Beer or spirits?

Whats your standing on the fact that UCC now has nuclear rods possibly a couple of floors down in the building you are in every day? :D

If you were to be stranded on an island and could bring either of these two items ( a kinfe or a wrench) which would it be?

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

D4RK ONION. For teh megalulz!
    Ah now! You're breaking my heart here Knifey!

Whats your standing on the fact that UCC now has nuclear rods possibly a couple of floors down in the building you are in every day? :D

In relation to this:
    How about for our first UCC meet-up in September, we go on a mission to find the secret metal door that minds the nuclear reactor? :pac:

• Advertisement

If you could spend an afternoon Extreme Facedowning with four other people, be they dead or alive (we'll presume for the purpose of this inquiry that any dead people would be reincarnated and you wouldn't be engaging in some freaky dead Facedown) who would they be?Some freaky dead facedown would be cooler, no? But I guess I'd go with the four people I'd love to meet most; Stephen Fry, Gary Larson, Bjork and Albert Einstein.
    Jay P wrote: »
    Tom Carroll or Alexi?
    Tom Carroll is possibly the greatest man who ever lived, as this film clearly shows! :D Alexei is cool too, but I only had him in 1st year.

Favourite bar in Cork?
    I really like The Quad.

Old Bar or New Bar?
    Old Bar; go there more often. New Bar is nice too though.
    Craguls wrote: »
    <3

Right back at ya! :p

Any guilty pleasures?
    The Eurovison. :o And Desperate Housewives.

Drink of choice?
    Alcohol wise, Kopperberg Apple & Lime is lovely, but very few pubs actually sell it so I usually settle for Bulmers. If I'm doing shots, tequila is the best. In terms of non-alcohol drinks, Coca Cola is the greatest tasting liquid ever invented. I also drink loads of milk; can't beat a glass of ice-cold milk.

Hats; yeay or neay?
    Yay on other people, but they don't suit me at all.
    Hotaru wrote: »
    Religious beliefs?
    Apathetic agnostic; I have no idea if God exists or not, and either way I don't care.

Political beliefs?
    Socially, I'm very liberal but I'd be a bit more conservative on economical matters. There's no one political party I support; I kind of alternate between them.
    What was the last thing someone gave out to you for?
    I actually can't remember! Which is a good thing...

Any plans for the summer?
    Nah, not really. I'll probably end up sleeping most of the day and procrastinating on the internet for most of the night.

Dicaearchus, Dicearchus, or Diceärch (died 196 BC) was an Aetolain commander and pirate.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement