Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In the Playpen: KnifeWRENCH

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

It's karaoke fun time and the world demands your voice! What song do you pick?
    Oh, I think you know the answer to this! :p

Who was your favourite teacher in secondary school?
    My Leaving Cert English teacher was quite a legend. He made me really enjoy my most hated subject in school, which is quite remarkable.

What's your favourite item of clothing, and what makes you like it?
    My luminous neon-stripe hoodie (the one I'm wearing in my Facebook photo) It's the only item of clothing I own that has a 100% scoring success rate on nights out! :D

When you were little, was there anything you wanted to be when you grew up?
    Well I wanted to be a lawyer for ages, but that just came from watching too much Ally McBeal.

What's your favourite restaurant/café/place to chill in Cork?
    Tribes, although they've gone down in my estimation since they took strawberry cheesecake off the menu. :mad:

What's one of your happiest memories so far this year?
    Switzerland!

Would you rather be reincarnated as a velociraptor or an awesome, bamboo-hungry panda?
    Well if I was reincarnated as a velociraptor, I'd be the only one of my species, which would be quite lonely. So it would have to be awesome bamboo-hungry panda.

McInerney in Speedos. How do I remove the image from my brain? D:I have tried. It is impossible. You'll just have to learn to live with it. :(
    Novella wrote: »
    If you could relive any day in your life, what day would it be, and why?
    A night out I had at the end of January this year. It ended in me being beaten up and robbed. I woke up in a stairwell in some dodgy flat complex covered in blood with a huge swollen face. My phone, wallet and watch had all been stolen. If I could go back to that night, I'd be a lot more careful and ensure that that didn't happen to me.

What is your favourite smell?
    I love the smell of toast. Never fails to make me hungry... Also love the smell of curry, coconut and petrol.

If you had to eat only one food for the rest of your life, what would you pick?
    Walkers Thai Sweet Chili! Seriously, they are the greatest crisps ever invented. And they are lethally addictive.

If you were given a blank piece of paper and a pen, what would you write or draw?
    Some wanky piece of modern art that has no meaning or significance whatsoever but appeals to some pretentious knob who'd buy it off me for millions.
    If Aoibheann and I were to cover you in glittery eyeshadow, which colour would you like it to be? :)
    Surprise me! ;)

Starcon is a gaming convention run by the Gaming Guild of Oakland University from 1973 until the present.

If you could change one thing what would it be?
    This is gonna sound incredibly selfish and shallow, but it would have to be my body. I've always hated the way I look and it's the main reason for having extremely low self-esteem for so long.

Favourite question to ask/answer in the playpen
    The sillier, the better! I'm not a big fan of very personal questions; not because I don't like talking about personal stuff but just because I usually don't have an adequate answer to them.

'sup?
    Meh, not much. I have to move out of my house and back home tonight. Ugh.....

favourite playpen thread/person you most want to see in the playpen?Well no playpen thread will ever top Davidius'! :D
    Who would I like to see in the Playpen? Stephen Fry! Of course, he'd need a boards a/c first......
    How good would rate alexi's use of Grasshoppers?
    "Let f x be population of grasshopper at time t. Let y t be population of predator of grasshopper at time t. Model equations with mathematical toolbox."
    I don't see any area of mathematics that can't be adequately explained by that!

Has electro's housemates forgiven you and L for all the trauma ye caused them :p
    electro's housemates love me! :cool:

Favourite place to chillax in Cork/UCC.
    Tribes, in Cork.
    In UCC, Kampus Kitchen. Just because I always meet someone I know there.

Beer or spirits?
    I hate beer - cider ftw. Spirits are ok, but too many in one go leads to some very bad things happening.

Whats your standing on the fact that UCC now has nuclear rods possibly a couple of floors down in the building you are in every day? :D
    I think it's pretty cool! :D I hope we get to do experiments with them next year. It would also be a great oppurtunity for "Inanimate Carbon Rod" to run for President of the SU! (I know it's not carbo, but the reference wouldn't work otherwise >.>)

If you were to be stranded on an island and could bring either of these two items ( a kinfe or a wrench) which would it be?
    Since it's very unlikely I'd ever be rescued, I reckon I could kill myself faster with the knife.
    D4RK ONION wrote: »
    Ah now! You're breaking my heart here Knifey!
    Good. Objective achieved.

Jay P wrote: »
    In relation to this:
    How about for our first UCC meet-up in September, we go on a mission to find the secret metal door that minds the nuclear reactor? :pac:
    It must be done! :pac: Mixed beverages always go better with nuclear waste...

Evil Invaders is the second album released in 1985 by Canadian speed/thrash metal band Razor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

What question would you like me to ask you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Explain how awesome Davidius is in 500 words or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

What is love?

What am the sky?

Boardsie you'd most like to meet in person?

Boardsie you'd least like to meet?

Do you like meat?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Strongbow or Druids

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

I broke a promise to you, and instead of extensive faffing when you were in Dublin, I fell asleep on my hands a little bit and went home.

My question is, will you accept my apology if it's in the form of cat sitting on a keyboard in space?

4Q1.trans_extension_jpg_max_side_540.jpg

Also, having seen/swooned at UCC in all its beauty recently, what would you say to a swap?

Davidius wrote: »
    What question would you like me to ask you?
    Something about walruses with hats, or something equally pointless.
    Pygmalion wrote: »
    Explain how awesome Davidius is in 500 words or less.
    Meh. He's alright, like.
    *496 filler words*
    What is love?
    A score of zero in tennis. ("Baby don't hurt me" seemed like too obvious an answer....)

What am the sky?
    I had to google this; the reference was lost on me. :o

Boardsie you'd most like to meet in person?
    Tar.Aldarion is surely the greatest specimen of humankind ever to roam the internet. It would be an honour to meet him/her/it.

Davidius; they say you should never meet your heroes, and I reckon he'd just be a big disappointment in real life! :pac:

Do you like meat?
    I love meat! Chicken, turkey, beef, steak, lamb, pork....it's all good. I don't eat fish though, and I don't like duck.
    unknown13 wrote: »
    Strongbow or Druids
    Never had Strongbow, must try it some time. Druids is pretty savage though.
    A Neurotic wrote: »
    I broke a promise to you, and instead of extensive faffing when you were in Dublin, I fell asleep on my hands a little bit and went home.

My question is, will you accept my apology if it's in the form of cat sitting on a keyboard in space?

4Q1.trans_extension_jpg_max_side_540.jpg
    Congratulations! You have stumbled upon the only possible image that'd make me forgive you. The awesomeness contained in that picture is rather astounding. <3 x eleventy.
    But God/Allah/Thor/Flying Spaghetti Monster help you if there is not a satisfactory level of faffage the next time our paths cross....:mad:

Also, having seen/swooned at UCC in all its beauty recently, what would you say to a swap?
    I assume you meant to say UCD here, unless you're asking me if I would swap UCC for UCC which, as swaps go, is quite a trivial one.
    Anywaym UCD is alright, like. But only WE have the glorious monolithic Godzilla that is the Kane Building. This eyesore somehow won a big architectural prize a few years ago! :eek: Also, they used hang people there...

A keychain or key chain is a small chain, usually made from metal or plastic, that connects a small item to a keyring.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

I go to Trinihy, and was asking if you'd like to swap colleges with me :o

A Neurotic wrote: »
    I go to Trinihy, and was asking if you'd like to swap colleges with me :o
    Oh right....well that was a big "FAIL" on your behalf, wasn't it? :pac: Eh, I didn't get to see enough of Trinity to judge it yet but it does have a brilliant location. So I may go with that swap just so I could be so close to Grafton St. Also, the snobby egotistical side of me would love telling people "I got to Trinners!"

Dhoon Lodge is a public golf course located in western Newfoundland in the town of Black Duck, Canada.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Richard Cranium

A friend of mine made that Tom Carroll video. Great stuff:D

[latex]e[/latex] or [latex]\pi[/latex]?
    Sin or Cos?
    Were you astonished to learn that the Complex numbers cannot be ordered?

Are you more of a happy go lucky type or an overthinker?
    If you saw someone drop a fiver on the street as they walked past you, would you run after them to give it back or pocket it yourself?
    Do you know who I am?

A friend of mine made that Tom Carroll video. Great stuff:D
    Your friend is a legend. :D

[latex]e[/latex] or [latex]\pi[/latex]?
    I think I'll go for [latex]e[/latex]; it's cooler!

Sin or Cos?
    Cos, because it's the real part of Euler's identity. Sin is only the imaginery part, the big loser! :p

Were you astonished to learn that the Complex numbers cannot be ordered?
    No, but I'm slightly surprised that you know this. We weren't taught that proof until this year. (Unless we were taught in 1st year and I just wasn't paying attention; now that I come to think of it, that's quite possible...) But yeah, I wasn't astonished as it does make sense when you think about it.

Are you more of a happy go lucky type or an overthinker?
    I used be a total overthinker but have gotten slightly more happy-go-lucky, which is nice. I am an insane worrier though; I worry and panic about every little thing.

If you saw someone drop a fiver on the street as they walked past you, would you run after them to give it back or pocket it yourself?
    If it was just a fiver, I'd probably keep it tbh. But if it was a fifty or something big, I'd feel too guilty about taking it so I'd run after them.

Do you know who I am?
    You're the guy in first year maths in UCC who looks like Craguls! But no, I don't know you and I don't think I've seen you around. Like I said to Jay P earlier, come to the UCC forum meetups.

The two-woman bobsleigh competition at the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver, Canada was held at the Whistler Sliding Centre in Whistler, British Columbia on 20-21 February

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

Black Duck

What a name. I want to live there.

Will you move to Black Duck with me?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Davidius; they say you should never meet your heroes, and I reckon he'd just be a big disappointment in real life! :pac:
    You know me too well. :(
    Something about walruses with hats, or something equally pointless.
    OK.

If
    dw/dt = F(w,h,t)
    dh/dt = G(w,h)
    with
    w(t) = Number of Walruses
    h(t) = Number of Hats

then explain what the hell the number of walruses has to do with the number of hats. Your answer should contain citations to published works.

(I was too lazy to look up proper LaTeX formatting to make the above look as good as possible. Please ignore the fact that I didn't state the nature of t)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

La General:

What's the best piece of advice you were ever given?

Best compliment you've ever received?

5 things you like about yourself?

Languages you'd love to learn to speak?

Any fears/phobias?

Any interest in politics?

Are you ticklish?

What do you do when you need cheering up?

Pet peeves?

Guilty pleasures?

Bottled water,yay or nay?

Proudest achievements?

Best "mistake" you've ever made?

What inspires you?

How would your friends describe you?

Do you dream in colour?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Your most frequent mood?

People or technical person?

Enjoy football or not?

Strangest place you've spelt?

Favourite ice-cream?

Any plans for this summer?

Like your college course?

Attitude to life?

Favourite proverb?

Did you like school?

Member or any clubs/organisations?

Like plays? If so, favourite?

Favourite food?

Most embarrassing childhood phase?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Heaviest band you listen to?

Why marlboro reds? *shudder*

Jako8 wrote: »
    What a name. I want to live there.

Will you move to Black Duck with me?
    I thought you'd never ask! We'll marry the local twins and run a quirky little taverna.
    Davidius wrote: »
    If
    dw/dt = F(w,h,t)
    dh/dt = G(w,h)
    with
    w(t) = Number of Walruses
    h(t) = Number of Hats

then explain what the hell the number of walruses has to do with the number of hats. Your answer should contain citations to published works.

(I was too lazy to look up proper LaTeX formatting to make the above look as good as possible. Please ignore the fact that I didn't state the nature of t)
    I'm sorry, I can't ignore that. I was going to asssume that t was time but now you've cast doubt in my mind. I have no idea what the hats are changing with respect to.
    La General:

What's the best piece of advice you were ever given?
    I don't get much advice because I never ask for it. The best was probably given to me by Chris Miles from Skins, and it's two simple words: **** it! :D
    Best compliment you've ever received?
    Being told I'm hot is always nice, although it's only ever drunk/desperate people who say it to me.

5 things you like about yourself?
    I'm the self-loathing type and genuinely can't think of 5 things. I suppose I like the fact that I'm open minded, have a pretty good sense of humour and am fairly intelligent.

Languages you'd love to learn to speak?
    I'd love to understand Chinese/Japanese writing; it looks beautiful when written but unfortunately sounds awful when spoken. I like the sound of Portuguese, but I don't think I'd have much use for learning it or much oppurtunity to ever speak it.

Any fears/phobias?
    Wasps and nail files. I also have an intense hatred of tomato ketchup that borders on being a phobia; I have had to move away from people who were eating too much of it.

Any interest in politics?
    Kinda. My favourite thing about elections is watching the election coverage on the news; I always get excited when a result comes in! :o There isn't any one political party I follow though. It'd be much easier to be an American; I'd love if we had some equivalent of the Democratic Party here.
    As for the greatest world leader of all time? Josiah Bartlet.

Are you ticklish?
    Unfortunately yes, I'm really ticklish.

What do you do when you need cheering up?
    Listen to music, watch DVDs, go online and comfort eat.

Pet peeves?
    I can't stand littering by people who are just too lazy to find a bin.

Guilty pleasures?
    Already answered, but I'll reluctantly admit again to being a fan of the Eurovision and Desperate Housewives.

Bottled water,yay or nay?
    Depends on the brand. Tipperary and Vittel are both lovely. Evian and Volvic are both nice but I don't drink them due to their awful ads (rollerskating babies and cheeky volvics? Fcuk off...) Deep Riverock is meh; I'll only drink it if there's no other option. Ballygowan is awful - has a really bad, metallic taste.

Proudest achievements?
    I did really well in my Junior and Leaving Cert exams. Also I'm proud of myself for making it this far in college, despite being depressed and intensely hating my course. My results are out in two weeks and I know I definitely failed one exam but fcuk it, the fact that I even made it this far is an achievement for me.

Best "mistake" you've ever made?
    Doing Geography for my LC instead of Chemistry. I really wanted to do both subjects but unfortunately they clasehd and I had to choose between them. My careers adviser urged me to pick Chemistry but eventually I went for Geography, and because of that I didn't have any "matching" subjects for LCVP and therefore couldn't do it. So I got to skip LCVP while everyone else in my year was forced to do it. As far as I'm concerned, LCVP is a pointless subject that requires way too much work for a maximum of 70 points. The extra 2 classes of study a week was a huge benefit, and I know I would have done poorer in my exams if I was made do LCVP.

What inspires you?
    Good music by talented people.

How would your friends describe you?
    electro~bitch summed it up pretty well in the introduction: a mixture of virulent cynicism and absolute apathy! :D I would say my friends would call me funny, honest, moody and stubborn.

Do you dream in colour?
    Yes. I would like to have a black-and-white dream some time though, would be pretty cool.
    jumpguy wrote: »
    Your most frequent mood?
    Apathetic.

People or technical person?
    Not great at either, but you can beat computers if they annoy you. That makes them better than people.

Enjoy football or not?
    I'm a casual supporter. I do know a good bit about football and there are periods where I follow it but then there are periods when I drift out and stop caring. I'll probably watch a good bit of the World Cup though.
    As for playing football, Stephen Hawking has a better chance of making a national football team than I do. I am absolutely rubbish. :o

Strangest place you've spelt?
    Erm....I don't get this question.
    llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch-station-sign.jpg

Favourite ice-cream?
    Ben & Jerry's Chocolate Fudge Brownie. Also love those Cadbury Crunchie ice creams that have popping candy in them!

Any plans for this summer?
    None whatsoever.

Like your college course?
    It's a love-hate relationship. It's fascinating but difficult, and exams are a bitch.

Attitude to life?
    Everything is meh. Again to quote Chris Miles "**** it". I'm a strange creature; I worry about everything, yet am also apathetic towards everything. I get worked up about things that don't even bother me.

Favourite proverb?
    "Life is like a box of chocolates; it's shit for diabetics" :D My friend Ben told me that one; I've no idea where it comes from, so it's entirely possible that he made it up.

Did you like school?
    I hated primary school and 1st-3rd year of secondary school. Then in 5th Year our teachers stopped treating us like children and started treating us like adults. 5th and 6th Year were definitely my favourite years of school, and I actually missed the place when I left. Whereas in 3rd year, I couldn't wait to leave.

Member or any clubs/organisations?
    I was the social secretary of the UCC Physics & Astronomy Society (PhySoc) :cool: And I'm an ex-officio for next year; basically I'm still on the committee but don't have to do anything. It's perfect.

Like plays? If so, favourite?
    The only play I've ever actually seen was a tiny prodcution of "An Trial"; our Leaving Cert Irish class went. For Leaving Cert English, we did "Macbeth" and "Juno And The Paycock". I did enjoy "Macbeth" and would like to read more Shakespeare. There are copies of "Merchant of Venice" and "Julius Caesar" somewhere at home but haven't gotten around to them yet.

Favourite food?
    Already answered! :) Walkers Thai Sweet Chili; it's like sex, but in crisp form!

Most embarrassing childhood phase?
    Oh my whole childhood was embarassing; I was an irritating, precocious and very immature little shit. I don't think I went through any particular phases though.

L. Mookiah was an Indian politician and former Member of the Legislative Assembly of Tamil Nadu.

Fad wrote: »
    Heaviest band you listen to?
    Probably Queens of the Stone Age. I generally don't like metal so don't have many heavy bands. And I was never a "goth" although I did like Korn when I was like 11 or 12 but the novely wore off after a bit.

Why marlboro reds? *shudder*
    Because they're tasty! :P The "Lights" are very bland in comparison. Since I'm back home, it'll be a long time before I have another fag. Realistically, I will probably end up smoking on nights out when I go back to college, but I am going to force myself not to become a regular smoker again. It's just not worth it.

Exchange-traded derivative contracts are standardized derivative contracts (e.g. futures contracts and options) that are transacted on an organized futures exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

You're special Knifey.
    So I'm gonna give you a few different questions.

Do you love, looove or looooooove Eurovision? <3

Favourite song this year in the Eurovision?

Do you like chilli? If not, why? And you can't say "I've never tasted chilli before" because that's just bold.

Favourite bean?

Mickey or Minnie?

Pluto or Saturn?

A monkey or chimpanzee?

Are you a firm believer of the Irish language?

• Advertisement

You're special Knifey.
    Depending on the context you meant that in, that's either very flattering or very insulting. :confused:
    So I'm gonna give you a few different questions.
    You mean I don't have to choose between John and Edward? Phew! Because I was dreading that; the choice would just be impossible like!

Do you love, looove or looooooove Eurovision? <3
    I'll try and maintain some shred of dignity by saying I have a mild interest in it. But secretly, I looooooooooove it! :p

Favourite song this year in the Eurovision?
    This'll sound like a cop out, but the German one was my favourite. I'm really glad it won. :) I also quite liked Slovakia and Sweden, even though they didn't qualify for the final. :(

Do you like chilli? If not, why? And you can't say "I've never tasted chilli before" because that's just bold.
    I have never really had chilli. I like Chilli Con Carne, if that counts? I love chilli flavoured things, like crisps and that.

Favourite bean?
    I don't eat beans; I absolutely hate baked beans. I guess kidney beans are ok, since they come in chili con carne.

Mickey or Minnie?
    Neither. I never liked those old Disney cartoons. Looney Tunes ftw! :cool:

Pluto or Saturn?
    Well Pluto ain't a planet anymore, and Saturn has those nice big rings. So I'll go with Saturn.
    And here's a cool astophysical fact; Saturn has such a low density that if there was a body of water big enough, Saturn would float on it. :cool:

A monkey or chimpanzee?
    Monkeys, because they have tails and can swing off trees. Also, since chimps are supposedly so intelligent they're dangerous. You never know what they're thinking.

Are you a firm believer of the Irish language?
    I never really liked Irish tbh, so not really. I think they way it's taught in schools is really baqd; there's way too much emphasis on literature and not enough on oral and written Irish. I think it should be compulsory for Junior Cert but optional for Leaving Cert.

The Portuguese First Republic (Portuguese: Primeira República) spans a complex 16 year period in the history of Portugal, between the end of the Constitutional Monarchy marked by the 5 October 1910 revolution and the 28 May coup d'état of 1926.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

Was it really all yellow?

Go-to album when you're sad or upset?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

Ever wish for a particular skill or talent?

Was it really all yellow?
    I don't like Coldplay and I hate that song.:mad: Some of their stuff is ok, but ruined by the fact that Chris Martin has a face that I would love to punch continuosuly.

Go-to album when you're sad or upset?
    "The Greatest" by Cat Power. Not a particularly cheerful album but it's agood soundtrack for melancholy.

Tomari (泊村, Tomari-mura?) is a village located in Furuu District, Shiribeshi, Hokkaidō, Japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

A kitten dies every time you hate on Chris Martin. The man is a GOD.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Exchange-traded derivative contracts are standardized derivative contracts (e.g. futures contracts and options) that are transacted on an organized futures exchange.

Lights and super lights (I think they've been discontinued here actually) taste like bleach, it's been a while since I've had a red.

Ever try a different brand?

Craguls wrote: »
    Ever wish for a particular skill or talent?
    To be a good singer would be incredible. The best I can do now is get 90% on Rock Band in easy mode, just by bellowing tunelessly into the microphone. Does wonders for my self-esteem!
    A kitten dies every time you hate on Chris Martin. The man is a GOD.
    As long as it's ugly, feral kittens that are dying I think I'll continue hating on him.
    Fad wrote: »
    Lights and super lights (I think they've been discontinued here actually) taste like bleach, it's been a while since I've had a red.
    What, "super lights"? There's an oxymoron if ever I heard one! They sound disgusting =/

Ever try a different brand?
    Yeah, have tried Marlboro Lights, Camel Lights and Bensons. Reds are the nicest though. *curses necessity to quit* :(

Panglima Laôt (or Panglima Laot; Sea Commander in Acehnese dialect) is a tribal leader in fishing community in Nanggroe Aceh Darussalam province of Indonesia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

When it's the middle of the night and you can't sleep what do you do? Just what do you do?
    /relevance

Craguls wrote: »
    When it's the middle of the night and you can't sleep what do you do? Just what do you do?
    /relevance

I come here and answer questions from nosy strangers! :D I've been having a big long conversation with my friend which involved us swapping the weirdest videos and most avant-garde music we could find. I reckon he has more funny vids than me, but I totally out avant-garded his ass with "Metal Machine Music" :pac:

Oh yeah, I should add that this conversation was on Facebook. I don't actually talk to my friends in real life, or anything. That would be silly....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

If you caught me once upon the hip, would you feed fat the ancient grudge you bear me?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement