Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi gets go ahead

Options
  • 02-06-2010 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭

In this weeks Kilkenny People
    DISCOUNT foodstore, Aldi, can move ahead with plans to build its first store in Kilkenny after its two appellants withdrew their appeals over the store.
    Aldi received planning permission from Kilkenny County Council to build a store at the junction of Waterford Road, Nuncio Road and Bohernatounish Road - opposite the exisiting Lidl store - on December 18 last year.

But that decision was appealed to An Bord Pleanala by Liam Barnaville and the Cashel Downs Residents Association on a number of grounds.

But both appeals were withdrawn unconditionally on May 15, giving Aldi the green light go ahead.

Should be good for the town.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭rayc

LIDL also got planning permission for a second store on the Johnswell road last week.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Is LIDL the new Dunnes and how did these get past the Supervalue mafia?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Is LIDL the new Dunnes and how did these get past the Supervalue mafia?
    The Supervalu Mafia had all their efforts on stopping the Callan development.
    They would have figured with the 2 existing appellants it would fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Any sign of these developments going ahead?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭kkmick

Lidl on the johnswell road got the go ahead a good while ago. They put the building of it out to tender and as far as I know the contract for construction is very close to being finalised. Should be open around January or febuary. Hopefully aldi won't be far behind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

was passing by this evening and seen the machinery been moved into the lidl site on the johnswell rd site, and seen builder's taken down some of the roof of the old building in the hebron rd site where aldi are going last week builders are probabaly on there holiday's now, is there any sign of work over other side of town where aldi are going to build

• Registered Users Posts: 32 fraido

Nothigh happening over the other side of town yet. Passed by it yesterday and the horses are gone from the field but thats about it. Can't wait for Aldi to open, hate Supervalu with a passion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I saw a few engineer types taking photos and comparing notes at the Aldi site a few days ago. It's only a matter of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭DerryRed

linny wrote: »
    was passing by this evening and seen the machinery been moved into the lidl site on the johnswell rd site, and seen builder's taken down some of the roof of the old building in the hebron rd site where aldi are going last week builders are probabaly on there holiday's now, is there any sign of work over other side of town where aldi are going to build

yeah. I'm just back from a walk with the dog, and work has started on the Johnswell Road site. Plenty of activity there this morning. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

linny wrote: »

Is this correct,does this mean there are going to be two Aldis built,giving us 2 Aldis and 2 Lidls?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Incognita

Ahh I was wondering what was going up on the Johnswell road. I saw 2 *happy* :rolleyes: residents from Rosewood taking pictures yesterday.
    Eurospar will lose out, no harm though - they're making a fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

They seem to have started work on the one on the Waterford road today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

Incognita wrote: »
    Eurospar will lose out, no harm though - they're making a fortune.
    Amen, Tropicana Mixed juice 1L in Eurospa €4, in SuperValu €2.68.

That's a serious markup. 50% dearer!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭nhg

Just wondering if anyone has any update on the ALDI on the Waterford Road, hopefully one of them will be open by Christmas, fed up having to travel to ALDI (though I'l be worse off when they are near... the chocolate is just way too nice especially the white and the almond in milk chocolate...)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

nhg wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone has any update on the ALDI on the Waterford Road, hopefully one of them will be open by Christmas, fed up having to travel to ALDI (though I'l be worse off when they are near... the chocolate is just way too nice especially the white and the almond in milk chocolate...)

I don't know about hte chocolate but I do know what you mean by worse off. I was passing Aldi in Carrick and stopped to buy a jar of coffee. I ended up spending €84.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

Work has got underway on the Waterford Road site in the past few weeks.

Good to see this coming along nice and quickly, not before time. Aldi will do very well in Kilkenny indeed.

Aldi, Lidl and Supervalu, surely we should have a Dunnes up there too! (it never gets old)

Yes it's the Peter Pan of the in-joke world.

catbear wrote: »
    Aldi, Lidl and Supervalu, surely we should have a Dunnes up there too! (it never gets old)

Actually wouldn't mind a Dunnes outside of town to be honest...plus anything that takes business from that awful Super Valu has to be good in my book :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭nhg

Supervalu in Loughboy is an alot better than supervalu in callan... until you shop in supervalu callan you can't imagine how bad it really is... they have alot of babystuff's and shampoos at half price at the minute and I heard staff speaking to each other and they said that it is reduced as its being discontinued... the means more items not being stocked

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

Supervalu in Loughboy is an alot better than supervalu in callan... until you shop in supervalu callan you can't imagine how bad it really is... they have alot of babystuff's and shampoos at half price at the minute and I heard staff speaking to each other and they said that it is reduced as its being discontinued... the means more items not being stocked

An item thats discontinued means its not going to be stocked anymore, (usually when word comes down from their head office) but normally its because its not being sold enough to be worth having stock. It is normally replaced by another product.

A dunnes out of town would be handy. Its a big turn off to have to go all the way into town and pay for parking

wobbles wrote: »
    A dunnes out of town would be handy. Its a big turn off to have to go all the way into town and pay for parking

Totally agree, park one up on the ring road somewhere, four or five units free there beside Meubles. I can see all except Woodies and Meubles pulling out of there unless something is done.

tesco were interested in the big empty unit between byrnes and meubles,but when they approached the council about planning they were put off,:mad: it's all ready for one big shop as harvery normans was suppose to go there before they pulled out when the waterford shop wasn't doing great,

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

As an aside, I see that TkMaxx has moved from beside Harvey Normans in Waterford to some other location in WD so that will hardly help their (harvey's) cause...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

work is going ahead with a vengence, great news parking looks it is going to be a slight problem, nice to see so many people are sick of being ripped off by the established stores, try Callan no competition, yet lets hope someone comes soon till then Aldi in Carrick is fantastic, or go to Clonmel, Aldi, Lidl, Marks and spencer, Dunnes, Superquinn
    and of course the nations favourite Tesco, no parking charges well except for superquinnn if you must, whats wrong with kilkenny, lousy parking, no Tesco have a nice day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

obviously the 84.00 was well spent, and you didn't have to pay for parking, the scenery in carrick is worth the trip, the supervalu there is about light years better than Callan, just a quick word always check the sell by dates because they just love mixing them up, same sausages can have three different sell by dates, some of the staff leave a lot to be desired help wise, the bread rolls are a temptation to little fingers, who said the word wash your hands before touching food, perhaps it doesn't apply here

It's like Ulysses revamped for grocery related consumer-capitalist abolitionists.

I think Fabby those posts are missing a Rap beat!

Yip, just reread them as if you're a rapper and they sound great. Genius!!!!

• Advertisement

lidl on the johnswell road is due to open this month on the 25th, does anyone know what there doing with the other shop over at loughboy, look's like its getting ready to be revamped or something,

Advertisement