Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Veggie beauty products

Options
  • 02-06-2010 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭

Despite being a vegetarian for over five years now, when I needed to tighten the purse strings i have been guilty of buying cheap supermarket products with gelatin in and I really don't want to be spreading that on my skin anymore if I can avoid, I've improved in the past two years though.

I've started using Yes to Tomatoes! facial wash and moisturizer as i have combination skin. However, I've noticed that in the past couple of weeks since I've started using it, I have broken out in a shock of spots in my t-zone, leading me to the conclusion that the face wash is actually drying out my skin instead of providing a healthy moisture balance. I paid €10-11 for the wash too, so I am not impressed.

So please, recommendations for shampoo (I currently use Avalon Organics), hand creams, face washes, moisturisers, body creams, etc. That aren't too extravagantly priced. I've heard good things about Superdrug own brand stuff but I'm nowhere near a Superdrug.

Ta!

PS. I should mention I am nowhere near a Lush store, so items available online or in chemists (eg. Boots) please

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭miss5

I have a friend who is vegan and uses these products regularly.

http://veganireland.vegaplanet.org/best-brands.php

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

miss5 wrote: »
    I have a friend who is vegan and uses these products regularly.

http://veganireland.vegaplanet.org/best-brands.php

Oh goodness, yes, i had forgotten about lavera products. I don't think I've seen them anywhere in my town. I was hoping to find things I didn't have to buy online, but that might be my only option. I'll check my local health food store for the lavera range.

thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

If you're looking for anything natural, I can't help you. But if you need cheap own brand stuff I know tons about that.
    I think Tesco moisturiser (white bottle, blue lid) is wonderful when you can get it. A little bit thicker than e45 and doesn't mess with my skin.
    Boots conditioner is magical! I use the green one with rosemary and something else in it. Their basic conditioners are also pretty good (big bottle, pink or blue)
    I use Lush (sorry!) face scrub and Yes to Tomatoes hand cream. If you can every try some, do it! It makes my hands so unbelievably soft in winter.

Aoifums wrote: »
    If you're looking for anything natural, I can't help you. But if you need cheap own brand stuff I know tons about that.
    I think Tesco moisturiser (white bottle, blue lid) is wonderful when you can get it. A little bit thicker than e45 and doesn't mess with my skin.
    Boots conditioner is magical! I use the green one with rosemary and something else in it. Their basic conditioners are also pretty good (big bottle, pink or blue)
    I use Lush (sorry!) face scrub and Yes to Tomatoes hand cream. If you can every try some, do it! It makes my hands so unbelievably soft in winter.

If natural is out of my price range i would use it if it didn't have animal products in it - do any of these?

Oh goodness, yes, i had forgotten about lavera products. I don't think I've seen them anywhere in my town. I was hoping to find things I didn't have to buy online, but that might be my only option. I'll check my local health food store for the lavera range.

thank you!
    I think their products are excellent, Haven't found a range as good yet.

• Advertisement

miss5 wrote: »
    I think their products are excellent, Haven't found a range as good yet.

I recall being on the continent a few times and many of my friends had their products, I regret not buying some while I was there. Have you bought them in shops here as opposed to just online?

My local healthfood shop, in the back end of ballygonowhere and one of the local chemists stock Lavera.
    It shouldn't be too hard to get them.

I have combination skin too, and I find only need moisturizers in very cold weather.
    I cleanse with natural yohurt, or a tiny dot of vegetable soap.

I haven't actually checked my shampoo for animal ingredients. I'm scared to now. :(
    What should I look out for?

Lush shampoo bars are great and they last forever.

Moonbaby wrote: »
    My local healthfood shop, in the back end of ballygonowhere and one of the local chemists stock Lavera.
    It shouldn't be too hard to get them.

I have combination skin too, and I find only need moisturizers in very cold weather.
    I cleanse with natural yohurt, or a tiny dot of vegetable soap.

I haven't actually checked my shampoo for animal ingredients. I'm scared to now. :(
    What should I look out for?

Lush shampoo bars are great and they last forever.

I miss my shampoo bars - I'm too far to get them now. I use original source shower gel, its vegan. I should be able to track lavera stuff in town now, thanks :)

Most would say 'gelatin', I imagine most brands of shampoo stocked in boots/supermarkets have animal products. I stopped buying aussie for that reason :(

Oh your in Sligo. The healthfood shop there is really good. I'd say you'll be grand.
    I <3 original source, the do the best chocolate and vanilla shower gels.
    Makes me go nyom nyom nyom!

I'm using burts bees at the moment and it is vegetarian. Yeahay!
    I forgot to say, they have a lovely lemon and poppy cleanser for combination skin.

I recall being on the continent a few times and many of my friends had their products, I regret not buying some while I was there. Have you bought them in shops here as opposed to just online?
    Just online, It's well worth it though, The products are great!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

Original Source do vegan shampoo/conditioner too, have seen them in Boots, minty hair yay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Tesco used to make a soap that said 'suitable for vegetarians' on the box. It was called Tesco Pure. I'm not sure if it's still available. I'm also not sure if it was tested on animals or not. I recently bought a bar of soap called Oliva. It contains no perfume and is made from olive oil. It seems to help my skin.

Tesco hand and body lotion isn't tested on animals. I don't know if it contains any animal ingredients though as I don't really understand what the chemicals in it are. I hope it doesn't contain animal ingredients because I use it. I'm a man but I do get dry skin and it helps.

Oh your in Sligo. The healthfood shop there is really good. I'd say you'll be grand.

I forgot to say, they have a lovely lemon and poppy cleanser for combination skin.

Tír na nÓg? I was in there today and no Lavera. They have Burts Bees though which is a little out of my price range but its good to know I have a go-to if I need it. I went to all the chemists in town (6) and when I asked and looked for it I got a blank. Kate's Kitchen had a natural moisturizer for €44!! I might just stick with the Organic Surge face wash in Boots and try the moisturizer.
    taram wrote: »
    Original Source do vegan shampoo/conditioner too, have seen them in Boots, minty hair yay!

I got them today! Very pleased, the mint is my favourite!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭veggie newbie

I came accross products by http://www.noinin.ie/ at a market in Limerick while there for a wknd. I bought the moisturizer and it's gorgeous. Think it's the Rose Cream one, was about 10 - 12 euro. They post out as far as I know.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I don't know what sligo you were in. hehe, ah the large shopping centre one is ok and they are nice, might order things for ya etc.

Hmm there are maybe 3 little ones about to look in too

Tír na nÓg? I was in there today and no Lavera. They have Burts Bees though which is a little out of my price range but its good to know I have a go-to if I need it. I went to all the chemists in town (6) and when I asked and looked for it I got a blank. Kate's Kitchen had a natural moisturizer for €44!! I might just stick with the Organic Surge face wash in Boots and try the moisturizer.

I got them today! Very pleased, the mint is my favourite!

44 euro! :o

That is a disgrace.
    Might you ask the place that Tar recommends if it would order you something?
    I don't know what sligo you were in. hehe, ah the large shopping centre one is ok and they are nice, might order things for ya etc.

Hmm there are maybe 3 little ones about to look in too

Tir na Nog I was talking about.
    I used have to go there for my tofu, before my amazing healthfood shop opened at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

None of marks and spencers make up is tested on animal products, and I'm checking the make up now for animal ingredients. M&S is quite pro doing things to help environment and animal welfare. I can't find anything on their website but I'll find out in work later!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

So please, recommendations for shampoo (I currently use Avalon Organics), hand creams, face washes, moisturisers, body creams, etc. That aren't too extravagantly priced. I've heard good things about Superdrug own brand stuff but I'm nowhere near a Superdrug.

The 'Naked' range of shampoos/conditioners in boots are great, slighty pricey but they are nearly always 2 for €9.
    http://www.boots.com/en/Naked-Shine-Unveiled-Hydrating-Shampoo-250ml_28854/

Nourish is great for anything else.

--LOS-- wrote: »
    The 'Naked' range of shampoos/conditioners in boots are great, slighty pricey but they are nearly always 2 for €9.
    http://www.boots.com/en/Naked-Shine-Unveiled-Hydrating-Shampoo-250ml_28854/

Nourish is great for anything else.

I was actually eyeing these up, but I wasn't sure as they didn't state if they were veggie or anything.
    I don't live near Nourish, but I'll pop in next time I'm up. Ta!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

I was actually eyeing these up, but I wasn't sure as they didn't state if they were veggie or anything.
    I don't live near Nourish, but I'll pop in next time I'm up. Ta!

They are 97% natural and not tested on animals, sodium lauryl sulphate is an ingredient I avoid in things since it's carcinogenic so although you will find non-animal shampoos etc in health shops, they often still have this ingredient, that's why I use those ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

All M&S products are approved by the BUAV, Superdrug has recently gone cruelty free on all their own brand products. Perhaps surprisingly, all household and cosmetic products in ALDI are cruelty free!

This is a great site for info on this subject http://www.uncaged.co.uk/crueltyfree.htm

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    All M&S products are approved by the BUAV, Superdrug has recently gone cruelty free on all their own brand products. Perhaps surprisingly, all household and cosmetic products in ALDI are cruelty free!

This is a great site for info on this subject http://www.uncaged.co.uk/crueltyfree.htm

That's fantastic, thanks for the info and link!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭delama

I've been researching the stuff that I use, and I'm pretty sure they're vegetarian.

I use Tresemme shampoo and conditioner (and its usually on special offer in supermarkets or penneys) and I use Simple products such as moisturiser, cleanser, hand soap.:)

Advertisement