Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rental - Young driver surcharge

• 02-06-2010 2:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone.

Sorry if this is the wrong location for this question.

I'm 23 with a clean licence and looking to rent a car in Europe. I know all companies have an under-25 surcharge, and with Hertz and Avis it's €30/day which is ridiculous and almost more than the car itself. Does anyone know if surcharges vary across rental companies? if there's a company we can rent from more cheaply?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

dRNk SAnTA wrote: »
    Hi everyone.

I'm 23 with a clean licence and looking to rent a car in Europe. I know all companies have an under-25 surcharge, and with Hertz and Avis it's €30/day which is ridiculous and almost more than the car itself. Does anyone know if surcharges vary across rental companies? if there's a company we can rent from more cheaply?

Thanks

The Surcharge is normal and is to cover the increased Insurance cost for being under 25.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

I accept the surcharge, just not the high price of it. Hertz have a maximum charge of 300 which is good if you're renting long term, but no use to me. I'm looking for a company with a lower surcharge rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

Hi everyone.

Thanks

Depends on where exactly you're renting - lots of smaller car hire places have lower surcharges (and/or a lower age when there isn't one).

For example these guys in Malaga - www.hellehollis.com
    (I've no business connection with these guys, just some asked before I was using them around that time and checked!)

I'd suggest you search the web for the various companies where you going and check them all out....

Paddy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

Try enterprise, there age for rental is 23. I think it is a small bit more expensive,, but not a great deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

I've used Sixt and Europcar since I was 18 in Germany - found both to be reasonably cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

Hi everyone.

Thanks

I am 42.. I would happily pay €30 a day to be 21 again.

Advertisement