Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrician

Options
  • 02-06-2010 2:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I have a couple of very small jobs I need done. Doorbell fitted, outside light and 2 bathroom over cabinet lights. How long would it roughly take an electrician to do these jobs? Heard before that if you book an electrician for a half day you pay for a full day and that you may have to pay travel costs? Do people generally agree the cost upfront?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

The electrician should call out to your house and give you a quotation to complete the job. He will factor in all his costs including travel, equipment, profit etc.

Don't go for the open ended price depending on time taken at the time of when the job is being done.

Sometimes during a job there are some unforeseen things that crop up that cannot be quoted for initially, if this happens he should discuss this with you before any additional work is carried out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

It's hard to tell. Generaly I would call and give a fixed price. If you were agreed I would do job there and then to save travel twice

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Where are you located?

I'd need to look at it to give a price, but like meerkat said, if you agreed, then I'd do the job there and then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 aoifefc

The electrician should call out to your house and give you a quotation to complete the job. He will factor in all his costs including travel, equipment, profit etc.

Thanks for the advice. I will look for a fixed price and ask them if they want to come and look at the place before giving the quotation. They are small jobs and I dont want to be ripped off.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Make sure you use a registered electrical contractor. That way you know he/she is insured and qualified. Also if you feel that you have been "had" you can call an inspector from the ECSSA or RECI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

It will all depend on what's done already and what needs to be done. How much wiring is already in place?

If all wiring is in place it might take an hour or so. It there's no wiring in, it might take well over half a day...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

It will all depend on what's done already and what needs to be done. How much wiring is already in place?

If all wiring is in place it might take an hour or so. It there's no wiring in, it might take well over half a day...
    Exactly.
    It will also depend on the condition of the wiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

aoifefc wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice. I will look for a fixed price and ask them if they want to come and look at the place before giving the quotation. They are small jobs and I dont want to be ripped off.

Its difficult to get anyone to give a fixed price for a job like this, without looking at it first.

Its difficult to get anyone to give a fixed price for a job like this, without looking at it first.
    +1

Advertisement