Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Received no compensation?

Options
  • 02-06-2010 2:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

I'm in second year and I got an E grade in one of my history modules but have passed all my other modules. Why was I not compensated for the E grade & can I still progress to third year?. My sister is in first year and also received an E grade but it was compensated for as the results show E (C). Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭C-Shore

I'm not in UCD but i think its the same across all HE colleges and that to get compensation you have to have double the amount of per cent you need.

In other words,

if 40% is a pass
    and you get 35%
    you have to have at least 50% in another module of equal credits

I think 5% is the maximum amount you can be compensated for and anything less than 35% can't be compensated

But i could be wrong, thats the way it is in my college

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Whats your GPA?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 gemz223

My GPA for semester two is 2.57 and it was 3.03 for semester one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Sounds like you should be able to compensate, as mentioned elsewhere maybe it won't show up until the official results

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭1968

gemz223 wrote: »
    I'm in second year and I got an E grade in one of my history modules but have passed all my other modules. Why was I not compensated for the E grade & can I still progress to third year?. My sister is in first year and also received an E grade but it was compensated for as the results show E (C). Thanks in advance.

In the same boat.

(I passed all of my five modules in Semester 1, Stage 2.

I passed six modules in Semester 2, Stage 2. I got an 'E' grade in the seventh module.

I have a 2.78 GPA.
    But no sign of that 'E' turning into a E(C) (pass with compensation) yet.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭taz70

Compensation occurs at the end of a stage, as long as you have passed at least 75% of all modules for the stage (usually 9/12 for a 60 credit stage) and have a compensation GPA of 2.0. There are some modules that are NOT passable by compensation - but it usually says that in the online module catelogue thing.

Someone wrote on here recently that Arts now has two stages - stage 1 (60 credits) and stage 2 (120 credits), so it may be that compensation will only occur at the end of the entire 120 credits. You're better off talking to the Programme Office.

Advertisement