Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Powerboat Festival

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Mr.Mister

I'm frantically trying to find an old, plain shirt that I can scribble 'OUR LITTLE TOWN OF MIDDLETON' on.

Mary for Fuhrer. XD.

Do! I'll look out for it and get a picture... :)

There's only one D in Midleton also.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Does anyone know or have a link to the route that they will take on Monday. As they are heading for Killibegs will they pass between Aran & the mainland or go south & around the back of the islands ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

They are heading for Killybegs so the will go the shortest route which is between Inismore and the mainland, does anyone know how many boats are taking part in the race, the website only shows four or five boats listed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I got to see Crystal Swing. I can now die happy.

28405_1449642476668_1101406668_31291280_3275038_n.jpg

Got a few snaps myself from today,will post them up tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

what time is the race on at tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

A few from today. Took loads but many much the same as yesterday, but still have more to go through. I just have to go to bed if I'm to be up in time to see the big boys go tomorrow.

F3BA0E494C104F7FAB2036A844369E42-800.jpg

053A7610350846DA811430CF496920C3-800.jpg

This poor fella didn't a lot of luck today, in fact he didn't even finish the race.
    1E57441739A6448589075E4EE8D18B04-800.jpg

37689B2341FD473B9EF36F6019B8F728-800.jpg

One of the big boys for tomorrows start of the round Ireland

D454B60FC26C46C0B62106E1942780A2-800.jpg

65A51ACA75584110991C8A6EA1C04CB1-800.jpg

C4F4848D5FC844A58F65FB3DED680C25-800.jpg

Anyone know why they moved the course about 200-300 metres further out today? Yesterday during the 300 race they were way closer to the shore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

vulcan57 wrote: »
    Anyone know why they moved the course about 200-300 metres further out today? Yesterday during the 300 race they were way closer to the shore.

The tide?

ErnieBert wrote: »
    The tide?

Nope the tide was at about the same state as Saturday. It was shame really because on Saturday the 300's were very close but yesterday it was all a bit less spectator friendly.

• Advertisement

They will be having fun with the visibility. A sail boat decided to brave the rocks & came over to the North of the Bay !. Because of the Easterly wind we heard them first & what an amazing noise. By Inverin the leader was well in front.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭slave2thewage

Crystal Swing were AMAZING. Did anyone go to the signing in Zhivago's afterwards? I told Mary she was a gay icon and she visibly balked.

Woke too late this morning to see the round Ireland boats off, will have to wait till next week to catch them. You can track them here http://www.dkdsecurity.co.uk/trackapp/aroundireland/map/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Thanks for the pics. Amazing craic so far, i'm exhausted. On the water + beer in the evenings = very tired :o

The only Irish Superstock Entry 'The Green Machine' bust their steering rack yesterday so didn't manage to finish, but still great to have an Irish Entry

Crystal Swing were amazing,i wasn't expecting them to be as good as they were.

Derek is the man,the show is his.

212x2fp.jpg

sv486p.jpg

2aimsg3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mike kelly

that Dervla is some fine bit of stuff

mike kelly wrote: »
    that Dervla is some fine bit of stuff

Dervla and Mary would both GET IT!

I'm currently uploading a youtube video from yesterday,my camera died before i got to film 'Tequila' and 'Hucklebuck'.

Mods this section was for the power boat races not Crystal Swing, will you get them to start a new thread before we loose the plot on this one.

Anyone see the start of the Round Ireland Race was there many there etc, the first boat arrived in Killybegs around lunchtime some going.

• Advertisement

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Mods this section was for the power boat races not Crystal Swing, will you get them to start a new thread before we loose the plot on this one.

Crystal Swing were part of the power boat race festival,were they not?

Mr.Mister wrote: »
    Crystal Swing were part of the power boat race festival,were they not?

Did not see them racing what number boat were they :D:D

Did not see them racing what number boat were they :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭spender.j

Mr.Mister wrote: »

Figures...

Anyone see the start of the Round Ireland Race was there many there etc, the first boat arrived in Killybegs around lunchtime some going.

Yeh, about about 1.00pm, 4hours Galway to Killybegs, you'd be hard pushed to drive it in that time!

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭aido179

i have to admit I wasn't around for the majority of the weekend but what i saw on friday seemed fairly impressive. what im hearing is the concession stands around the docks are getting hurt badly...something like 3k for a position for the week? doubt some of the vendors will even break even

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Yeah Cinzano got to Killybegs in no time.

Zoolander ('Team Blue Steel' - LEGEND!!) bust a tube before even getting out of Galway Bay so that boat is now on it's way to Sligo by trailer to try and get repaired over night so it can rejoin at Killybegs.

Kilculen (Which has a Galway Navigator) made it to Killybegs but took an absolute hammering

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭EhBenDisDonc

Anyone see the start of the Round Ireland Race was there many there etc,

Was there for the start. Almost nobody around. The start line was way out in the bay; I let my attention wander to the tent with the P1 videos, and when I turned around they were half way to Black Head. Let's say you didn't miss much.

Stuck around for the 150 race though, and that was pretty cool with a nail-biting race for the lead right to the end.

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Yeah Cinzano got to Killybegs in no time.

Zoolander ('Team Blue Steel' - LEGEND!!) bust a tube before even getting out of Galway Bay so that boat is now on it's way to Sligo by trailer to try and get repaired over night so it can rejoin at Killybegs.

Kilculen (Which has a Galway Navigator) made it to Killybegs but took an absolute hammering

Hi John

I thought Cinzano and Kilculen were similar boats, just wondering how Cinzano could make it so fast and in the same sea state and Kilculen could take a hammering.

• Advertisement

They would of been held back a bit by visibility. Passing Black Head they were in the middle of the Bay & I could barely see them because of the rain/mist. Then the visibility got noticeably worse.

The way you handle the conditions is key. If a boat just ploughs on regardless they can really get hammered. Going fast in rough seas demands superb piloting & especially throttle control. I could hear the throttle men really working on the big boats.

Advertisement