Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Powerboat Festival

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Hi John

I thought Cinzano and Kilculen were similar boats, just wondering how Cinzano could make it so fast and in the same sea state and Kilculen could take a hammering.

They are completely different boats

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

JohnCleary wrote: »
    They are completely different boats

About 1000 hp different I think !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

Does anyone know if the ZapCats at the weekend will be a little closer to the shore than the races on Sunday? They are smaller and faster and not good to watch if they are too far away. JohnCleary may know something. I know they can't come in too far because of the groynes on the beach, but they can come in a lot closer than some of the races over the weekend.

vulcan57 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the ZapCats at the weekend will be a little closer to the shore than the races on Sunday? They are smaller and faster and not good to watch if they are too far away. JohnCleary may know something. I know they can't come in too far because of the groynes on the beach, but they can come in a lot closer than some of the races over the weekend.

In an ideal location (a beach with no rocks, just sand all along) we would be racing in as little as 6 inches of water, but as you say because of the rock spits we need to keep out.

The course will be in the shape of an M, I will find out this afternoon exactly how far off the shore things will be. But it will definately be a lot closer than the Superstock. BTW, the Superstock WERE close to the shore, so close infact that one of them clipped a rock. Also, there were some twats swimming alongside the course over the weekend, despite notices all over the place and in the papers. Darwin comes to mind.

Just looking at the tracking of the round Ireland race. Kilcullen Galway Flyer seems to be heading towards shore, has she a problem? and there is no sign of Wolf ?? maybe she didn't start.

• Advertisement

In an ideal location (a beach with no rocks, just sand all along) we would be racing in as little as 6 inches of water, but as you say because of the rock spits we need to keep out.

The course will be in the shape of an M, I will find out this afternoon exactly how far off the shore things will be. But it will definately be a lot closer than the Superstock. BTW, the Superstock WERE close to the shore, so close infact that one of them clipped a rock. Also, there were some twats swimming alongside the course over the weekend, despite notices all over the place and in the papers. Darwin comes to mind.

Cheers John, so thats the reason they moved them out on Sunday, makes sense. There are some fools around alright, looking forward to the weekend, the zapcats can be really exciting, especially if its a bit lumpy out there.

Just looking at the tracking of the round Ireland race. Kilcullen Galway Flyer seems to be heading towards shore, has she a problem? and there is no sign of Wolf ?? maybe she didn't start.

Wolf & Seawolf are sister ships, so will stick close together (despite one having an extra 200HP). The problem you're having there is that the boats are so close together, they're over-lapping on the live tracker. Try zooming in and you'll see the 2 boats ;)

Kilcullen looks like she might be trying to go inside Aranmore Island..... it's a VERY tricky channel inside there

Cheers John, so thats the reason they moved them out on Sunday, makes sense. There are some fools around alright, looking forward to the weekend, the zapcats can be really exciting, especially if its a bit lumpy out there.

It's going to be exciting alright as some of the boat don't have foot-straps. Foot-straps are ESSENTIAL in anything more than flat calm water

Looks as though there is definitely a problem with Kilcullen Galway Flyer, she has stopped off Donegal. Cinzano has already reached Bangor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Great weekend on the water! A few of us were out doing diver safety cover for the races, thankfully we weren't called upon though!

Took a few photos while out on the water - they're up here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/36224551@N04/sets/72157624106099527/detail/

• Advertisement

Guys the next race is the P750 racing next Saturday 12th June, PLEASE come out and support this... all you gotta do is come out to the prom and enjoy the fun. Get a 6 pack, sit down and chill :p

The boats will be a LOT closer to the shore than the Superstock, and between races the boats will land on the beach opposite Western House (Just the town side of Salthill Park) where kids can sit in the boats for pics and the big kids can talk to the crew etc.

So this Saturday 12th June around 1PM

Guys the next race is the P750 racing next Saturday 12th June, PLEASE come out and support this... all you gotta do is come out to the prom and enjoy the fun. Get a 6 pack, sit down and chill :p

The boats will be a LOT closer to the shore than the Superstock, and between races the boats will land on the beach opposite Western House (Just the town side of Salthill Park) where kids can sit in the boats for pics and the big kids can talk to the crew etc.

How many races will there be? Any chance of publishing the course?

In the round Ireland race I see there is an additional entrant that seems to have joined at Bangor, Dreamer. Also, although it still seems to be in Donegal, the Kilcullen Galway Flyer, has changed its name to News Talk Galway Girl, whats going on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

You would never know that there is a round Ireland race on the coverage is crap nothing on TV or radio very poor show, on the Irish Sailing website they said 50 world class boats would be taking part in this event where are they, all I can see are 4 boats. they said around 20 boats would take part in the P1Superstock races all I saw were 6 or 7.

Aerohead wrote: »
    You would never know that there is a round Ireland race on the coverage is crap nothing on TV or radio very poor show, on the Irish Sailing website they said 50 world class boats would be taking part in this event where are they, all I can see are 4 boats. they said around 20 boats would take part in the P1Superstock races all I saw were 6 or 7.

Must admit that I also think that the coverage and the advertising for this event is lacking in some quarters. On Sunday I went out to Salthill to see the races. On the small race programs that were being given out it said that the 300's race would start at 13.30, so I decided to get out there for about 13.00 and stake my claim to a decent view point. Got out there at 12.50 to find the race already 2 or 3 laps in, and it had finished by 13.15, 15 mins before it was suppose to start. I reckon a lot of people missed that race. I'm only saying this as feedback and not knocking the organisers, It was always said that this event would not be as big as last years Volvo event, but certain things could maybe be tightened up a little. Hopefully this will be the start of a annual event, and congrats to the organising group for getting it here in the first place.

Firstly I must congratulate the organisers, this is not an easy thing to put together.

Yes, the advertising could have been better - I said this from day one.

I think a reason why a lot of the Round Ireland entries pulled out was financial burdon - it's not cheap to bring these boats from the UK/US

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

but the World Cup will have started by then...what will I do?

Would the reason so few boats are taking part be the reason that there is so little publicity, I mean its very tough on the crews doing the race and no one putting out in the media what is happening or how they are getting on.

I would not be happy if I was doing the race knowing that joe public is not getting the info on the race, I have not heard a single mention on any sports programme on any radio station about the race.

How will the festival they were going to have in Fenit get on now, when I read their website they were hoping for a lot of boats coming into Fenit??

donfers wrote: »
    but the World Cup will have started by then...what will I do?

Gonna be a busy weekend, world cup, grand prix and zapcats !!!:D

So when are we expecting the lead boat to finish & where is the finish line ?

Just had an email. First boat due in around 3pm today.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭stunt_penguin

I just got back from the powerboats fest, thought I'd post the best of my pics of the day! Really enjoyed my afternoon:

Blog post at :

http://www.chrisdidthis.com/?p=1415

IMG_2764.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭galwaynative

Just want to add a big well done to the organisers, I was there today with my child who was with the Tuam All Stars Gymnastics club. The organisers thought of everything from parking for parents through to water for kids and they and all the volunteers were second to none.

I have to second the comments about lack of media coverage, it was hard to find out what was on and when.

Many thanks again for a fun day out ! Wish parking in Galway was always so easy ;)

Some ZapCat pics from today (Sat) at Salthill

09C8182568F841C2B1658748C322C399-800.jpg

E6E7D3520D4841DDABB5B3C86DD8B0C4-800.jpg

6E85C7BA7BFC41AC9AA1947FA57A0A6F-800.jpg

BA55789B6237406F83B8D73F8A0F4EBC-800.jpg

562738EA4F81474EB38A41AF55D833EB-800.jpg

8FC0396B62D74088900C024C4C8FC6AF-800.jpg

6EFE91D350374680AE73A012B095C69B-800.jpg

ECEAD4153DD14005922C620F33C3AD41-800.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭galwaynative

excellent pics!

And a few more.

B94A8F3567AE4262A2742D8210040907-800.jpg

E1BB7CDA19D14B75A9FB95232207AF82-800.jpg

414AC717CF2B48DE9BB1B7DF01C83EF6-800.jpg

36B25724FC114A87A18E53BFAC898B92-800.jpg

A17C7AB6F10A41E78DBF335954375021-800.jpg

255B70A75BD441F5936CA0C7187958E2-800.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

I think Limerick, with the special olympic's got the media quota this week and Galway's powerboat event was left out:(

Did anyone get any pics of the cats capsizing, or any pics of the people that got flung out of the boats? :P

Greaney wrote: »
    I think Limerick, with the special olympic's got the media quota this week and Galway's powerboat event was left out:(

I really have to agree with you on that point. If this is to come back next year then I think there are a few areas that have to be improved. The worst dissapointment IMO was the main event that this festival was built around. I, and many others were out in Salthill yesterday, not just to see the the ZapCats, but the arrival of the Round Ireland race. The commentry on the prom were asking us to give them a big cheer etc., and all we could see was a spec of white splashes on the horizon! the finish line must have been 2 miles away, absolutely ridiculous, this race should have finished in full view of spectators. Then they just motored off to the docks with out a care. There was a family behind me that were up from Ballinasloe for the day to take it all in and they just turned in disgust, not sure where they went, probably home. Whats the point of putting on an event that nobody can see? OK if you were in the docks then you could have seen them arrive back there, but these are big powerful Racing boats and people want to see them doing 60 knots not 6 !! The finish line, and the start line for that matter, should have been in full view. Whats the point of having sponsors if they can't even see the boats??

I hate knocking any attempt at getting events to Galway but this is really bugging me and I had to say something to get it off my chest.

The Zapcats were good fun to watch though, so well done on that one.

Did anyone get any pics of the cats capsizing, or any pics of the people that got flung out of the boats? :P

Best I can do John, Steyr arrived at the moment of capsize so I missed it, so blame him :D:D.

1505E8487D0342CD95815D90E75AD7D2-800.jpg

9350BE8E58E74E65A05A6C5D17F50F38-800.jpg

• Advertisement

The lack of coverage of the Round Ireland race is something I wrote about in an earlier post, it was a joke really when you think of what these guys went through to complete the race. If I was in it I would be very pissed off, it was not on any National radio sports bulletin and I never heard any news on the race on Galway Bay FM except in the odd news bulletin it was pathetic

On the number of people attending the events at Salthill I would take issue with the nubmers being thrown about by the organisers, I was in Salthill last weekend and this weekend and there was not thousands of people there in fact most were just walking the prom. Yesterday was very poorly attended and I feel so sorry for anyone doing the races with so few people watching them. I would be interested in any other board members view on the crowds attending these events.

Well done to the Zap Kats crews yesterday and the power boat guys last week.

Advertisement