Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Players from your club that you expect to improve next season

• 02-06-2010 3:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭

Who from your club will be the one to watch next season? We're talking young players or even players recently back from injury who started to show signs of form towards the end of 2009/10.

From Everton I would be expecting big things from Victor Anichebe. Since he came back from injury he has improved 100% and can do a job on the right or up front. If he gets game time next season it may be his breakthrough.

If Marouane Fellaini gets any sort of a pre-season into him he should rediscover the top form he was on before he picked up that ankle injury, him and Arteta in the middle sounds tasty.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Johnson, Carragher, Agger, Insua, Mascherano, Aquilani, Kuyt and Gerrard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭hitman79

Voltwad wrote: »
    Who from your club will be the one to watch next season? We're talking young players or even players recently back from injury who started to show signs of form towards the end of 2009/10.

From Everton I would be expecting big things from Victor Anichebe. Since he came back from injury he has improved 100% and can do a job on the right or up front. If he gets game time next season it may be his breakthrough.

If Marouane Fellaini gets any sort of a pre-season into him he should rediscover the top form he was on before he picked up that ankle injury, him and Arteta in the middle sounds tasty.

Dont think Anichebe will ever be good enough Volt. Just doesnt seem to want it enough imo. Am expecting big things from Bilyletadinov(Billy) next season tho and hope he starts repaying that $10m transfer fee along with taking over Pienaars role as it looks likely he'll be on his bike after the world cup.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm looking forward to Bale getting stuck into the left side of midfield on a permament basis. He was fantastic there for Spurs last year, and will hopefully be even better next year. Also looking forward to Lennon getting back to his form from the start of the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Aquilani and Maxi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

hitman79 wrote: »
    Dont think Anichebe will ever be good enough Volt. Just doesnt seem to want it enough imo. Am expecting big things from Bilyletadinov(Billy) next season tho and hope he starts repaying that $10m transfer fee along with taking over Pienaars role as it looks likely he'll be on his bike after the world cup.
    Look at Anichebe's performances v. Birmingham etc towards the back end of last season. He was also lookng like one of Nigeria's biggest threats but will now miss the World Cup with another injury. The jury may still be out on him but he may just surprise you man :)

Re: Bily, hopefully he's had a good rest and can now partake in a decent pre-season. I see him as more of a long term replacement for Cahill though. He's not quick enough to replace Pienaar but could definetely play in the hole like Cahill does.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Johnson, Carragher, Agger, Insua, Mascherano, Aquilani, Kuyt and Gerrard.
    mike65 wrote: »
    Aquilani and Maxi.
    so basically the whole team then :P

for arsenal - Id like to see some improvement in end product from walcott and an injury free season for RVP

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Most of the Arsenal squad to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Walcott, Eduardo, Vela, Diaby, Clichy, Denilson, Rosicky...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

this thread actually kinda concerns me as a villa fan

looking at the squad as it is, im wondering who's gonna step up again and improve... and im not sure there are many of them

agbonlahor has increased his goal tally each year, and to be fair hes generally come back after each summer with a new side to his game. hes bulked up, hes worked on his control etc etc, so now perhaps all thats left for him is the stuff you cant really coach - that air of calmness when hes got time to think, the off the ball play, his link up play etc. id be hopefully he addresses something else thats missing in his game this summer, so we might well see another improvement

milner, if he stays, will always improve... but with the bids that are being talked about i think it might be better for the club to move him on to city for the benefit of the club's future, and the all round squad improvement side of things

ashley young needs to improve his final ball big time, as well as certain other aspects of his game. too much wasting, too much petulant kicking, too much diving, too much whinging. hopefully the fact that hes not going to south africa will wake him up and we'll see the player he was a couple of seasons back. im not entirely sure though

downing i can see improving. he had no preseason and was pretty much an ever present since he got back from a relatively serious injury. the guy must have been completely shattered, and i think we'll see a different player once hes had a rest and a full pre season. he wasnt great this year, but he showed some glimpses of the form he had at boro on occasion

then we've got the older players, the lads in or close to their 30s... petrov, heskey, carew, dunne, friedel, young, beye etc. will there be any improvement from any of them? probably not. dunne is a monster, and i think a season as good as this one is about as good as it gets, not because hes past it, but because he was so good for us. petrov will be a year older again, and i cant see his legs lasting for much longer. i think this is the summer we need to get his replacement in, and gradually phase him into the team for the following year.

carew and heskey will likely be off. heskey offers us very little, despite the fact that he seems to bring something to the england fold. carew, despite missing half of every season, is consistently up there chasing the top scorer accolade. if he stays the best improvement we could hope for would be no injuries. a fit carew for 38 league games will get 20 goals, ive no doubt about it. im just concerned as to whether theres such a thing

young and beye look to be off too, leaving us with no right back again. hopefully something that will be addressed in the summer. we're linked with clyne at palace, so maybe something will happen there and he can be phased in, letting cuellar go back to his preferred role in the middle, replacing collins who started brilliantly but turned into a bit of a mess nearer the end of the season

warnock was another who started well but had a few slip ups near the end. im not sure if that common theme is because of lack of rest and rotation, but i suspect it is. we need another left back to help warnock perform to his best for the season i think.

then we've got the younger lads

delph is out for while after doing his cruciate, which i think will set him back quite a bit. next season was probably going to be his break through, and instead its just going to be a battle to get back to fitness ahead of the following season which is a pity.

delfouneso is definitely one who needs to get game time in the league next season. imo hes got it all in his locker. hes big (deceptively so), lightnening fast, maybe needs to bulk up a bit like gabby did, but is the most skillful player in the team by a mile, and seems to have a real strikers instinct about him - something that nobody else in the squad currently has. next year is make or break for him, and i think he needs to get at least 15 starts in all competitions to really bring him on. if he gets that, we'll see a massive improvement and the beginnings of a superstar, if not then he'll probably be off somewhere else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭hitman79

Voltwad wrote: »
    Look at Anichebe's performances v. Birmingham etc towards the back end of last season. He was also lookng like one of Nigeria's biggest threats but will now miss the World Cup with another injury. The jury may still be out on him but he may just surprise you man :)

Re: Bily, hopefully he's had a good rest and can now partake in a decent pre-season. I see him as more of a long term replacement for Cahill though. He's not quick enough to replace Pienaar but could definetely play in the hole like Cahill does.

He did impress in one or 2 games in fairness and wasnt too bad for a few games before the Nolan assault but 7 goals in over 70 games aint great at 22 is it? I hope he makes it though cus physically he has everything you could wish for in a forward. I fancy his chances more than Vaughan tho who should be sold if possible this summer.

Regarding Billy i can also see him playing the Cahill role but with Timmy signed up for 4 more years will he get a chance there?

Also expecting and hoping Coleman gets a decent run next season :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Frisbee wrote: »
    Walcott, Eduardo, Vela, Diaby, Clichy, Denilson, Rosicky...

All these but I'd be delighted to see Nasri at his best on a more consistent basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Modric.. if he can add goals to his game next year then we will have some player on our hands

Max Power1 wrote: »
    so basically the whole team then :P

That is basically the point I am going for alright..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭slingerz

That is basically the point I am going for alright..

Torres.

He should be able to fire the blue half of Manchester up the table next year!

greendom wrote: »
    All these but I'd be delighted to see Nasri at his best on a more consistent basis.
    Its something I do and dont want to see tbh. Nasri will only really be at his best as a creative central midfielder. If he gets to play in that role on a regular basis, that means weve sold cesc :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

hitman79 wrote: »
    He did impress in one or 2 games in fairness and wasnt too bad for a few games before the Nolan assault but 7 goals in over 70 games aint great at 22 is it? I hope he makes it though cus physically he has everything you could wish for in a forward. I fancy his chances more than Vaughan tho who should be sold if possible this summer.

Regarding Billy i can also see him playing the Cahill role but with Timmy signed up for 4 more years will he get a chance there?

Also expecting and hoping Coleman gets a decent run next season :D
    Like I said, he's improve 100%. He looks a completely different prospect now, maybe the words with Moyes had something to do with it!

Cahill's like to be used much more intermittently over the next few seasons. Hopefully Bilyaledinov will kick on and surpass him. If Yak stays he should hit the ground running too. Definitely showed towards the end of the season that he ha something to offer.

Regarding Coleman, the sooner the better IMO. Can't stand Hibbert/Neville at RB much longer. I expect Coleman to end up on loan at Blackpool again for guaranteed game time though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

If we're keeping him, Carrick. And Berbatov.

Also I wish SAF *bow* would stop playing 4-5-1.

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Its something I do and dont want to see tbh. Nasri will only really be at his best as a creative central midfielder. If he gets to play in that role on a regular basis, that means weve sold cesc :(

Or drop Diaby, play Nasri in the middle with Cesc and sign a decent right winger.

slingerz wrote: »
    Torres.

He should be able to fire the blue half of Manchester up the table next year!

Torres doesn't need to improve his performances. He just needs a decent rest.

And good man..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭AlmostFamous

Darron Gibson will have to improve to stay at Man United
    I think Rafeal will get better. I think Fabio will be Evra's understudy but won't get much game time.
    Tosic will want to start seeing more cameo appearances off the bench.
    I have a lot of faith in Obertan as he has lots of ability and should improve consistently over next season.
    Petrucci might get a few run outs next season and Posebon might see the odd appearance as he did well in his run outs last season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i expect Lucas to continue to improve; and hopefully add a few goals and assists to his arsenal.

if we can start in a good bit of form, he might get that freedom that he isn't afforded too often. we saw it in a few games in the Europa League; i just hope Rafa took note.

and Aquilani, obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Expect to improve:
    Berbatov
    Carrick - if he's not been given the chop.

Hope to improve:
    Nani - if he continues his form from the second half of the season and continues to improve.
    Gibson - breakthrough season is long over; needs to start trying to work towards a place in the team.
    Obertan/Tosic - really need one of these to come through and provide further creativity because it's looking increasingly unlikely Fergie will go out and buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

sign a decent right winger.

but he scored a hat-trick against Croatia...

SlickRic wrote: »
    but he scored a hat-trick against Croatia...

Banned

:pac:

Or drop Diaby, play Nasri in the middle with Cesc and sign a decent right winger.
    how about bendtner :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

Aquilani should do well for Liverpool, provided he can stay injury-free and get a full pre-season in.

Bilyaletdinov I think will double in value next season.

Jack Rodwell is an obvious one, he's going to improve every year for the next number of seasons at least.

Yakubu and Anichebe will improve with a decent pre-season too, although with the signing of Beckford it is possible that one of them will be on the way out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Hargreaves (from zero :))
    Anderson (showed hints of it before injury)
    Nani (continuing to push on)
    Berbatov (has had a poor season in front of goal, shouldnt last)
    Carrick (surely he can't be any worse)
    Evans
    Rafael

I think Rooney, Valencia, Fletcher, Evra, Ferdinand, Vidic and VDS are playing at their best. I hope that they can maintain that level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I think the future is very bright for my club Blackburn Rovers. With the exception of Paul Robinson these guys are all very young.

Paul Robinson(GK) - I think like Brad Friedel he is improving with age, had a very good season and unlucky not to be in the World Cup squad.

Phil Jones(CD) - Just 18 years old, made his Premier League debut with a stunning man of the match performance against Chelsea and played very well in all but one of his 7 Premier League starts towards the end of the season. I'm hoping that he can kick on and take the first team spot off Ryan Nelsen. He is already being called the new John Terry, hopefully those lofty comparisons don't go to his head and stunt his development

Grant Hanley(CD) - Another 18 year old centre half who has forced his way into the senior squad. Only the one start in our last game of the season but put on a great dislay in that away win over Aston Villa.

Martin Olsson(LB, LM) - Purchased in 2007 as a left-back, he didn't have a great start to his career at Ewood. This year though he has come on in leaps and bounds, came in at left back due to injuries but move to left midfield shortly afterwards. Really impressed over the second half of the season, yet another younster at 22. Won the young player of the year award this season.

Steven N'Zonzi(DM) - What can you say, won our player of the season award. Only 21 years old, came from a relegated Ligue 2 outfit for €700,000, a real bargain. Being called the new Patrick Viera by some. He wasn't expected to be starting this season but due to injuries was thrown in at the deep end from the start and ended up playing more league games than anybody except Paul Robinson who played 35 and Gael Givet who also played 33. Needs to work on his vision but with a full year of Premier League football behind him, I'm hoping for great things this season.

Niko Kalinic(CF) - At £6 million a big signing for us. Allardyce said when he came in that he was going to take his time with him. We didn't see him until Christmas but he played well when he came in, didn't score that many goals but was very affective as a target man, with good strength, passing and vision. I am hoping that a more attacking approach next year will see him score more goals. He is 22 years of age, Slaven Bilic has called him the future of Croatian football.

David 'Junior' Hoilett(ST/WF) - Hoilett had been with the club for years but had to go out on loan due to work permit problems which go sorted out this year. The guy is as fast as anybody I've seen in the EPL, needs to work on his vision and finishin but he looks such a threat everytime he gets the ball. Was used as a substitute for most of the season and his game improved as the season wore on. Really hope he can kick on and become a partner for Niko. This guy is 19 years old.

Amine Liganzi(CM) - Liganzi came in January and didn't make an appearance until the final game of the season. He did ok in his first start and at 20 years of age will be hoping he can push for time over the course of the 2010/11 season.

Aaron Doran(RM/LM/WF) - 12 months ago Sam Allardyce called him the most promising young player at the club, since that time he went on loan twice and didn't do so well. He seemed to take a step back last year after being on the verge of first team football towards the end of the 08/09 season. I liked what I've seen of him both for us and for Ireland and underage level. I really hope he can at least get back to where he was at the end of the previous season. Just turned 19 so he has time on his side.

We also have 19 year old Nigerian named Osahon 'Macky' Eboigbe who we can hopefully get a work permit for this season. Gavin Gunning(19) from Ireland who is a real prospect at centreback also but he is unfortunately well down the depth chart at Rovers at the present time. Alan Judge is also Irish and just turned 21, he had a great loan season at Plymouth Argle. Jason Lowe is another young prospect who could see time in the Premier League this season. And there are others too who are very close to first team action if they don't get loaned out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

All the Liverpool players have to improve except Pepe unfortunately.

• Advertisement
Advertisement