Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyosung GT250r

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Mind if I ask what your budget is?

A Ninja 250 would be a much better buy IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 scooby girl no1

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Mind if I ask what your budget is?

A Ninja 250 would be a much better buy IMO.

it might be a present

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

You would keep a restricted 600 for much longer.

Would it be new, like?

cantdecide wrote: »
    You would keep a restricted 600 for much longer.

Would it be new, like?

sorry for asking but
    what is restricted 600, or what bikes are under it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

sorry for asking but
    what is restricted 600, or what bikes are under it

He means a 600cc bike, restricted to 33BHP (same power output as the GT250 and Ninja250).

• Advertisement

KamiKazi wrote: »
    He means a 600cc bike, restricted to 33BHP (same power output as the GT250 and Ninja250).

You can ride any bike you like on a provisional license (Learner's Permit) as long as you take it to a bike garage and have the engine modified to cut it's power down to 33bhp ("restricted").

I was suggesting that you take a bike like the one below and have it restricted so you could learn on it legally. My point is that you could pass your test on it and potentially keep it for as long as you like instead of getting a lovely new bike today and in the not too distant future, maybe getting bored of it and having to replace it.

2007_CBR600RR.jpg

You can ride any bike you like on a provisional license (Learner's Permit) as long as you take it to a bike garage and have the engine modified to cut it's power down to 33bhp ("restricted").

I was suggesting that you take a bike like the one below and have it restricted so you could learn on it legally. My point is that you could pass your test on it and potentially keep it for as long as you like instead of getting a lovely new bike today and in the not too distant future, maybe getting bored of it and having to replace it.

2007_CBR600RR.jpg

:eek: ooo that's nice, very nice (that was always the one)
    Seriously thanks for these explanations
    I really didn't know that you can have 600cc (of course with power cut :) )
    well it's not up to me what will I get but things are changing in live so nobody know what will come

This is assuming you are over 18 and have an "A" learner's permit and not "A1" learner's permit?

well wish to be 18 again :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

well wish to be 18 again :)

I dont!!!! my insurance was near 3000 when I was 18! I'm happy being 25 and only paying a few hundred quid!

• Advertisement

jameshayes wrote: »
    I dont!!!! my insurance was near 3000 when I was 18! I'm happy being 25 and only paying a few hundred quid!

My first cage insurance was almost £4,000. To hell with being 18 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭Brabazone

None of the insurance companys offering bike insurance in Ireland will insure you on hypersport bikes, ie bikes that end with a "R" CBR GSXR etc,etc, Unless

It is factory restriced or under 400cc.

What you can insure for your first bike is factory restriced GSXRs 600, CBRs 600 but your insurance will be crazy, so not worth the cost for your first bike.

Motorcycles with after market restrictors fitted are not recognized by most of the insurance companys in Ireland.

As for the Hyosung, it depends on whether you are buying new or used, dont touch one any older that 2008 because they can be unreliable, after 2008 Suzuki was the main driving force behind Hyosung and build quality improved. If your like the Hyosung you would be better off buying the gt650r as a factory restricted model, basically the same bike as the 250 but with a clone Suzuki SV 650 engine installed. It is a "R" but only produces 82Bhp unrestricted so insurance companys tend to class them more as a super sport than a hyper sport which makes them easier to insure.

Insurance in Ireland is very complex due to the restriction laws so before you buy anything ring all the insurance company and get quotations. There is a lot of lads round the county buying bikes at the moment thinking that all they need to do is have an after-market restrictor fitted just to be told by the insurance companys that they will not insure them because they do not recognize the restriction. Be carefull:cool:

I did, only one wanted to give it to me att all
    and they quot me with €1400
    I though if I will practice a bit with in a home area and pass the driving test maybe than it would be a little bit cheaper,
    but so far I did not get the bike yet and dont know how will this end so I might as well start saving some money:)

You could get some motorcycle training. It would be quicker and lot more useful than teaching yourself on private land. If you learned quickly, you could get a driving assessment that would lower the cost of your insurance, teach you to be a safer rider and teach you almost everything you need to know to pass the driving test. Most trainers have bikes and equipment to give you so all you have to do is show up with your Learner's Permit.

If you are serious about learning to ride bikes, I think that this would be a good first step.

You could get some motorcycle training. It would be quicker and lot more useful than teaching yourself on private land. If you learned quickly, you could get a driving assessment that would lower the cost of your insurance, teach you to be a safer rider and teach you almost everything you need to know to pass the driving test. Most trainers have bikes and equipment to give you so all you have to do is show up with your Learner's Permit.

If you are serious about learning to ride bikes, I think that this would be a good first step.

is there someone you can recomend?

Depends where you are in the country but someone will know someone wherever you are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 GTRay

if youve only got a provisional licence, you need to do your cbt,

and are restricted to a 125 until you do your test were there a loads ofoptions to confuse you, but worry about that once youve got enough experiance and feel confident on a 125 then look at your options as there forever changing,

and if you do get a 125 may i recomend the hyosung gt125r looks just liek the gt20r, looks like a big bike and feels and rides very comfortably

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

GTRay wrote: »

and are restricted to a 125 until you do your test were there a loads ofoptions to confuse you, but worry about that once youve got enough experiance and feel confident on a 125 then look at your options as there forever changing,

and if you do get a 125 may i recomend the hyosung gt125r looks just liek the gt20r, looks like a big bike and feels and rides very comfortably

What are you on about? It wouldn't be so confusing if people didn't post uninformed crap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

soo true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

GTRay wrote: »

The cbt requirement hasn't been brought in yet and you're not restricted to a 125 - you can get unrestricted 250s - and higher (especially among custom-style bikes) - as well as any number of larger displacement options once they're restricted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,786 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxPCGTCunkk&NR=1

I'm interested in your opinions
    I just got the provisional license and had never ride a bike so far

.... a guy in Galway just got a shiney 10 G one, and I was talking to him in Salthill about it recently, it looks fab imho. I can't remember the exact price, but 3800 all-in, iirc........bought it on the 'net, from UK, and it was delivered to his door.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 951 ✭✭✭robd

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    What are you on about? It wouldn't be so confusing if people didn't post uninformed crap

Prob best to give the correct answer. You're restricted to 125cc on an A1 license which you can get at 16. On an A license, which you can get at 18 you are restricted to 25kw of power while on a provisional and for the first 2 years after obtaining a full license.

Full details at http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/motoring-1/driver-licensing/learner_driving_permits_for_motorcycles_in_ireland

Some of bikes (e.g. Ninja 250r) and a lot of cruiser style bikes come with this or below power and do not need to be restricted. Other bigger bikes are sold with a factory restriction. Also a restrictor can be fitted but some insurance companies will not insure these.

If you do your test on a 125 you'll only get an A1 license and thus can't drive A bikes (except on provisional basis).

I've found searching donedeal for "learner" useful. e.g. http://www.donedeal.ie/find/motorbikes/for-sale/Ireland/learner?source=all Also try www.biker.ie

List (little old and incomplete) of <25kw (33hp) bikes here http://www.magireland.org/content/direct-access-33bhp-limit-bike-list

I'm going through the process of learning now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Lol, posting bad advise four months late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 951 ✭✭✭robd

Lol, posting bad advise four months late.

Helpful !!!

Advertisement