Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorm/Convective Watch: Summer 2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Squarewave

I'm halfway between kilrush and kildysert. Lightning is is to the north east.

Seems to have quietened down now..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Just started to rain with sky black as hell but no thunder to report.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Su Campu wrote: »
    Latest GFS run is giving much more upper support for deep convection tomorrow an upper shortwave (one of three on a shortwave merrygoround around the parent low) sweeps through southern and eastern parts of the country during the afternoon. I think we'll get more than an honourable mention in tomorrow morning's ESTOFEX forecast!

Chance of a few rumbles around the Waterford area tomorrow? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Timistry

Tis after brightening up here. Ah well! maybe tomorrow will bring something more exciting

• Registered Users Posts: 16,847 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

just heard a couple of rumbles of thunder

• Advertisement

Some distant rumblings here. Rain has stopped (2.3mm fell) but getting darker!

a third rumble now;)

Some fairly impressive stuff there from Clare up to around Sligo :

1z371vk.gif

a third rumble now;)

How are the skies looking up there Mr. Nacho? Still rumblings here but can't fathom out where they are coming from (I think maybe from the NW?)

Some fairly impressive stuff there from Clare up to around Sligo :

1z371vk.gif

Would they be fully formed cbs with anvil tops?

• Advertisement

How are the skies looking up there Mr. Nacho? Still rumblings here but can't fathom out where they are coming from (I think maybe from the NW?)

yes it's dark all up here now but the rumbling has stopped now. I see England and Wales are getting tons of electrical storms today.

yes it's dark all up here now but the rumbling has stopped now. I see England and Wales are getting tons of electrical storms today.

Well there's defo something in the air, my touch lamp just came on by itself! :eek::D. Shower is clearing from here as looks quite menecing when the sun peaks out.

I suppose the high temps that they have had of late are really energising any cells that form. Might see a tornado or two touch down there by the time the weeks out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Flash of lightning and some thunder here a few minutes ago, nothing more though :(

Violent downpour!! oh ****!!

get out the canoe DE!

2.5mm already!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Timistry wrote: »
    Would they be fully formed cbs with anvil tops?

Yes, if you watch the satellite loop you can see them forming. Updraft speeds are are around 50-60mph, so you may see some overshooting tops later as the sun angle gets lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Latest GFS run is giving much more upper support for deep convection tomorrow an upper shortwave (one of three on a shortwave merrygoround around the parent low) sweeps through southern and eastern parts of the country during the afternoon. I think we'll get more than an honourable mention in tomorrow morning's ESTOFEX forecast!

Me likey!!! :D:D

I want one now though :mad:

Now now now :mad:

*jumps up and down*

Waiting for something to reach Dublin :pac: Though I am enjoying the heat and the sunshine!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Good action across Wales and SW England now as well as parts of the West of Ireland. Could get a storm or two in the East this evening aswell.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/index.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

not as bad as the view from my bedroom window
    13tornado-blog.jpg

By the way, i notice ME have lifted their 20-40mm, up to 60mm rainfall warning

Yes, if you watch the satellite loop you can see them forming. Updraft speeds are are around 50-60mph, so you may see some overshooting tops later as the sun angle gets lower.

Thanks. Thats what I thought alright! i love the way overshooting tops are so whispy and delicate at the very top and monstrous looking at the base. I have only seen one properly formed cb ever because the mountains here in kerry obscure my view lol

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Thunderstorm passed through Castlebar in the last 30mins,plenty of lightening,thunder(loud) and torrential rain.moving off towards the NW now.There was also thunder around 1pm with more torrential rain.

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    not as bad as the view from my bedroom window
    13tornado-blog.jpg

By the way, i notice ME have lifted their 20-40mm, up to 60mm rainfall warning

Ok you win! :p. Eased up now but still very dark despite clearer skies to the SW and S. Clouds must be very dense.

darkman2 wrote: »
    Good action across Wales and SW England now as well as parts of the West of Ireland. Could get a storm or two in the East this evening aswell.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/index.html

That storm in the Benelux countries is a monster! The level 3 warning was on the money. Surely that has to spawn a tornado at some stage. if you look on Meteox there is a squall line all the way from Holland to SE France!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Timistry wrote: »
    Thanks. Thats what I thought alright! i love the way overshooting tops are so whispy and delicate at the very top and monstrous looking at the base. I have only seen one properly formed cb ever because the mountains here in kerry obscure my view lol

No, the anvil is the wispy top of the Cb, the overshooting top is a well defined bump protruding out of the top of the anvil. Each one is an individual updraft punching through the anvil into the stratosphere, like the photo below.

fig%2010-8b.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

glorious sunshine here all day:p
    but i realy want a bit of thunder :mad:

Oddly, I have yet to see an anvil structure today but probably due to the amount of cloud at lower levels.

Janey Mac, Belgium/Netherlands getting absolutely hammered at the moment :

http://www.blitzortung.org/Webpages/index.php?lang=en&subpage_3=3

Also notice activity now in SW England/Wales that might swing around over the Irish Sea later?

• Advertisement

New Met Eireann forecast :

Today

The scattered showers, heavy in some parts will continue for a time this evening and so will the risk of isolated thunderstorms. However, the showery activity and the thunderstorm threat will tend to ease off towards dusk.

Tomorrow

Sunny spells with isolated showers at first on Thursday morning. However, the showers will become more widespread during the day and will intensify, and there will also be the returning risk of thunderstorm activity. Highest temperatures on Thursday of 16 to 19 degrees in moderate southwesterly winds.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement