Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorm/Convective Watch: Summer 2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,163 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Just posted it in the Current weather section but it was some evening of rain In Castlebar.it started when the sun came out for around an hour around 5,but boy did it set of a shower.6.15-torrential rain and lasted for a full hour,and still raining.result-Castlebar To Westport road impassable in places,roads in Castlebar impassable as well as Dunnes Stores in the town closed due to flooding!!Drains also gushing out water in town.Now i didnt hear any thunder/see lightening but surely there was some around the area!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Just posted it in the Current weather section but it was some evening of rain In Castlebar.it started when the sun came out for around an hour around 5,but boy did it set of a shower.6.15-torrential rain and lasted for a full hour,and still raining.result-Castlebar To Westport road impassable in places,roads in Castlebar impassable as well as Dunnes Stores in the town closed due to flooding!!Drains also gushing out water in town.Now i didnt hear any thunder/see lightening but surely there was some around the area!!

There was an isolated strike recorded around Clew bay within the last couple of hours. Sounds like some shower Oscar. Any idea of how much fell?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

It's really starting to kick off just out off the south/southeast coast now...

http://www.irlweather.com/wxStormVue.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Just off Wexford, a new one

http://andvari.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/

Seeing more sferics on some Irish dectors now too.

Looks like three so far off the coast, not many but maybe it is building.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Bright flashes and loud thunder in Wexford , YEEEESSSS!

preety close so pugging out computer now , ill let you know what happened when things have cleared.

• Advertisement

Min wrote: »
    Looks like three so far off the coast, not many but maybe it is building.

Wind is picking up a bit here in Waterford now too. Can hear the odd faint, distant rumble now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,092 ✭✭✭pauldry

Wow! Oscar that sounds awsome. SOme if it must be in Sligo now though despite my recent prediction there has "only" been 6mm of rain so far here today. Though Ive seen a flash just now and South Sligo has had way more than this

Monthly total at 111mm for Sligo

I usually take 100mm as an average month round here, high I know, but easy to remember now its been passed could finish with a high number. Very black outside now. Cancelled my run as afraid of electr:eek:cution

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Come on, reach Dublin! :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Just saw a flash over Dunmore in the distance.:D

Definitely hearing thunder now and look at : http://www.irlweather.com/wxStormVue.php

More thunder again :D :pac:

• Advertisement

loud thunder here near Arklow at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Yep - thunder and lightning in wexford town. Seems to be moving off.

bangarama now and forked lightning woohoo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

I just got cut from a phone call to Wexford. Phone there is dead now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Some strikes in south kilkenny a few minutes ago . ..

http://www.live.laoisweather.com/lightning/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭torrentum

Loud thunder in south Kilkenny

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Yeah it's kicking off now to the Southeast. ETA for Dublin maybe an hour or 45 minutes. Finally as the moist Atlantic air comes in things are developing.

Fair play to MT and Redsunset for calling this. Haven't seen any lightning here yet but looks like the Wexford costal areas are getting some fireworks.

Distant echos of thunder again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

darkman2 wrote: »
    Yeah it's kicking off now to the Southeast. ETA for Dublin maybe an hour or 45 minutes. Finally as the moist Atlantic air comes in things are developing.

It seems to be tracking north west at the moment . . .

lightning and thunder getting madder here
    switching off modem and pc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭naughto

ya i see that i have never see such heavy rain i just came i ballinrobe rd floods every where cars clawing on the roads.the rd is so bad cos of the frost we had at xmass and it was never fixed up properly now we have floods as well.it has camed down a lot since then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Will the TV, satellite, computer and router be ok if plugged into a power surge protected socket?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Definitely hearing thunder now and look at : http://www.irlweather.com/wxStormVue.php

More thunder again :D :pac:

Interesting that there are as many positiive CG strikes as there are negative. Normally there'd be around 90% negative. That's important, because positive strikes pack a much larger punch than negative ones, and it's usually those that cause the damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Sirens going off in wexford town. Apparently some damage done in town somewhere

Loudest thunder yet, still not very loud at all, but that was closer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

It seems to be tracking north west at the moment . . .

The cell around the Wicklow coast is tracking north with a new cell in the Irish sea. We are near the center of Low pressure so there will be variable directions.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

would we have a chance of any thunder in louth?

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

If there was a strike in wicklow town, would it be seen in south dublin? whats the range you can see the lightning and hear the thunder?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

In wexford town not that bad now here really, 1 or 2 loud bangs the rest fairly tame. Lightning is pretty cool. Is it too get worse or is this it? No fork either just sheet.

• Advertisement

Min wrote: »
    Will the TV, satellite, computer and router be ok if plugged into a power surge protected socket?
    You could get a strike via an aerial lead or the dish.
    surge protectors no use on that and of course the phone line.
    I had a modem explode on me here once.
    right,thats my last post for now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement