Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorm/Convective Watch: Summer 2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A nice "rash" of showers there DE.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Was out fishing today in Kinsale and had to head away as some big dark clouds approached with the odd rumble of thunder.

Once it was over us we were treated to some spectacular bolts of lightning streaking across the sky and some unreal, intensive rain.

Great fun to drive it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Could be a few sparks around later, have the camera time-lapsing away:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Some nice convection already underway this morning, and ESTOFEX even have chance of a tornado in their forecast!
    ...British Isles...

A few hundred J/kg CAPE are forecast in the wake of the approaching upper trough. Low level winds are very weak and deep layer shear should be less than 10 m/s in most places but a low cloud base and locally augmented 0-3 km CAPE may allow a brief tornado.

Su Campu wrote: »
    Some nice convection already underway this morning, and ESTOFEX even have chance of a tornado in their forecast!

Snap;) Things looking reasonable for the East today, hasn't been a storm here in SO LONG:pac: -craves-

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

There is a very very dirty looking black sky coming in my direction now from the north west!!
    volcanic ash i think.:D

A few light passing showers here but a nice day overall, despite the breeze

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

e0mvyo.png

Dublin Airport TAF has chance of moderate thunderstorms from 14-17Z

EIDW 131100Z 1312/1412 31015KT 9999 SCT020 BKN040 TEMPO 1312/1318 5000 SHRA SCT010 BKN018CB PROB30 TEMPO 1314/1317 TSRA TEMPO 1318/1320 SCT018CB BECMG 1318/1320 35010KT BECMG 1406/1409 05012KT=

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

Thunder away to my northwest (Edenderry probably) just now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

nilhg wrote: »
    Thunder away to my northwest (Edenderry probably) just now.

Yeah, 2 strikes were detected on Blitzortung.

• Advertisement

trogdor wrote: »
    Could be a few sparks around later, have the camera time-lapsing away:)

No storms here in the end, just a few heavy showers unfortunately.

Added a video to the timelapse thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=66387972&postcount=16

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

A snap shot of one of the last half decent thundery outbreaks in Ireland:

14th July 2009.

Synoptic set up at noon:

117266.gif

Showers break out widely by mid afternoon:

117263.jpg

Detected lightning strikes at 3.30pm:

117264.jpg

Showers move to the north by evening:

117265.jpg

John Eagletonn is humbled and awed on the six-one forecast::D

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0714/6news_av.html?2580156,null,230

Someday again! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Thunderstorm rumbling away here in South Carlow for the past 15 mins, with very heavy rain.

Duiske wrote: »
    Thunderstorm rumbling away here in South Carlow for the past 15 mins, with very heavy rain.

I was just about to highlight that, you beat me to it! ;)

stormpickey.gif
    stormpic.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Thunderstorm off to the south of me just now, toward Clara. Satellite tv outage for a few mins too. Just one strike it seems. First one this summer, it's been a poor one so far in that respect, or maybe we were spoilt the last three years...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

Looks like a very heavy shower over Meath Kildare border at the moment. Heading east to Dublin North...

good few thunder rumbles in the last while here [south wicklow]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Thunderstorm off to the south of me just now, toward Clara. Satellite tv outage for a few mins too. Just one strike it seems. First one this summer, it's been a poor one so far in that respect, or maybe we were spoilt the last three years...

Yes i can confirm Clara, Offaly had a nice few mins of loud thunder and the Sky dish was off here too for a while think that was from the power of the torrential rain that fell.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Thunderstorm atm in the Dublin area. Moving toward the coast. A bit of action here right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Hearing nothing in Lucan :(

• Advertisement

Raging away here with thunder and lightning, storm seems to be getting closer but the frequency of striks is falling as it approahes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

Two large flashes in last few mins to the east in D11. Sounds 10 to 15km away by audio. Another big flash 12:53!

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Horse_box

Holy cr@p my whole house just shook there. Loudest and longest roar of thunder I've ever experienced. I love it! Im in south Dublin btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

no rain here in north dublin but can hear/see thunder/lightning.
    is it travelling west(towards dublin)?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Saw a few weak flashes of sheet lightning, no thunder, come onnn blind me :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭oneweb

Some rumbles and at least one big flash in the background around Dublin city centre just a minute ago... :D

It is what it's.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Hearing nothing in Lucan :(

You won't hear it indoors from that distance but if you look to the East you will see the blue flashes. It's a nice sight at night. It's not that frequent atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Similar in Dublin 14 just now. Was out walking in Sandymount around 10.30 and there was some fork lightening way out over the Irish sea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

A few flashes from the direction of the sea, nothing much. Man I miss the macho Australian storms :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

heard first bit of thunder of the summer,although it was'nt very loud but some is better than none,lightening was'nt bad either,seemed to be well out in irish sea

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement