Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorm/Convective Watch: Summer 2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,517 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

It's almost like a tropical storm formed southeast of Wexford and headed north into the Irish Sea, and as a result winds are going to back from NE to NW then W and increase to about 30-45 mph in some coastal sections of Wicklow and Dublin next 2-3 hours as the small low heads north towards Down. Expect the thunder and lightning to continue sporadically in the sort of "eyewall" feature of this storm as well as in the next ring out in the circulation around it. (this of course is an analogue, structurally it's not quite a tropical storm, but winds over Wales and southwest England on the forward side have been gusting as high as 60 knots.)

The effects on the weather over large sections of Ireland further west and northwest will be indirect, just pulling in a 15-30 mph flow from the WNW overnight. The upper low appears to have swung around to a position just south of Valentia heading northeast. It was the energy from this rather deep upper low that forced all these other things to happen, so give it a clap as it drifts by overnight. Or maybe it will give you a clap (of thunder) because near that upper circulation there could be the odd weak thundershower in the hangback feature from the surface low.

Certainly an interesting day and night, thanks to everyone who posted obs, it was very helpful in tracking the developments.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

It's gettin closer!
    Another flash and clap!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭highdef

Baldoyle, D 13.....Lightning followed by a loud crash of thunder about 3 seconds later. Indoors so not sure where it came from....00:28

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Massive flash and rumble just now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

few minutes ago got a huge flash and a huge long lasting rumble, hope for some more!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Got some rumbles but no lightning.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 30,290 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Heard it too (south dublin), was surprised how long it went on for, and how theres only been the one instance of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Yep D13 here, lightning was about a km away out to sea.

Feck it,sleep can wait,i'm staying up a bit later just in case!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

few minutes ago got a huge flash and a huge long lasting rumble, hope for some more!
    It was a long lasting rumble wasn't it, it seem to go on for ages.
    I think we're in for thundery rain rather than thunderstorms tonight :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

darkman2 wrote: »
    Massive flash and rumble just now.

Yep folks heres your new flash (WHITE ONE IN IRISH SEA)

120419.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Is it coming back towards Dublin? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Elmo5

No fair, was in the O2 at cirque du soleil and missed it! no rumbles to be heard in Celbridge, hopefully a few saved for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

yeah that was some flash&bang of thunder :D,MT has got it right so far so lets hope ders more to come

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

redsunset is that radar freely available?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

No its going to Coleraine......LOL!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

redsunset wrote: »

Thanks, I must of missed it.

snaps wrote: »
    No its going to Coleraine......LOL!!!!
    :D hpe owen's not asleep&misses it :eek:

All gone quiet now(apart from the lashing rain!),think i'll pack it in for tonight. Great to see some action though.:)

• Advertisement

23z obs for Aberdaron, Wales ... winds S 48 mph gusting to 72 mph :eek:

as of 00z (01h daylight time) the low appears to be about 987 mbs 30 miles east of Dublin heading almost due north.

there may be a bit more lightning in Dublin but would now expect the reports to come in from further north mostly.

raining heavy &winds picked up but no more thunder&lighting :( (at moment)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Has turned into quite a wet night here now with heavy driving rain. 14.0mm/ph rain rat currently with an increasing and whistling NNW wind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Top five wettest stations in the 24 hr period up to 1.00am according to Ogimet:

Johnstown Castle: 31.2mm
    Mullingar: 24.0mm
    Claremorris: 15.8mm
    Knock: 15.0mm
    Gurteen: 14.8mm.

Looks like summer is in full swing! :p

0100h (00z) obs for Aberdaron, Wales is SSW 60 mph gusting 84 mph.

okay, granted they are at the end of a long point of land in the middle of the Irish Sea but that is quite some wind for July (non-convective).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I was told Bristol airport was closed last night due to bad weather - must have something to do with the winds MT Cranium was on about ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭VeVeX

Its quite sunny and warm here in Blanchardstown at the moment.

Keith

A lot of sheet lightning here last night with nothing much audible after the first half hour except for one ot two low long muffled bangs.
    From about 10pm untill 1am I'd say before my eyelids defeated me.

Twas a very mild mannered affair apart from the initial half hour or so.
    Very heavy rain throughout and through the night.
    As I'm not recording,I'm not sure how much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭torrentum

A lot of sheet lightning here last night with nothing much audible after the first half hour except for one ot two low long muffled bangs.
    From about 10pm untill 1am I'd say before my eyelids defeated me.

Twas a very mild mannered affair apart from the initial half hour or so.
    Very heavy rain throughout and through the night.
    As I'm not recording,I'm not sure how much.

Almost the same scenario as me Black Briar. Lightning was strong to my SE at 10pm, bit it was still relatively bright then. By the time it got dark the lightning was mostly sheet lightning, and very faint with almost inaudible thunder if any. Rain was very heavy and the wind strengthened noticeably after 11.30pm

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

VeVeX wrote: »
    Its quite sunny and warm here in Blanchardstown at the moment.

Keith

Well its quite cold here at 10c! Brr!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement