Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorm/Convective Watch: Summer 2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    raining here...looking dark towards sw

Are those strikes not too far away for you?

http://andvari.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/

Seems to be a little cluster of 2/3 in the Limerick/Clare area, hard to tell on that chart!

Funnel cloud was reported this evening in Antrim.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ellieh1

Seems to be a little cluster of 2/3 in the Limerick/Clare area, hard to tell on that chart!

Those strikes are hitting the cork side of Adare county Limerick, I have just got a call from a friend to say there is torrential rain, hailstones and lightening there!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

certainly dark to my south-southwest maq.

Have not seen any flashes of lightening as yet.

it's got noticeably cooler out and light rain has been falling for about one hour.

can see where adare may have got its strike.
    image.ashx?country=gb&type=last&time=201007202015&sat=

Some nice convection off the SW coast, heavy showers building up there and swinging in closer.

http://www.sat24.com/Region.aspx?country=gb&sat=ir&type=loop

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

The 18Z Valentia sounding is showing more upper level cooling and increased boundary layer moisture from 12Z. Some nicer numbers - Totals Total 52, Showalter Index decreasing, K-index and SWEAT increasing, and some positive MLCAPE. LI down to -1 from +3 at 12Z, and equilibrium temperature around -40°C.

Starting to bucket down here now...

2010072018.03953.skewt.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

Had a few very heavy showers a while ago but no thunder as of yet. Looking at sat24, theres seems to have been a few areas of decent enough convection today.

A new strike in the midlands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

sky dark navy to my sw. clouds approaching from that direction so at least a downpour on the way

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Looks like a heavy band moving in over Galway city on the meteireann radar. It always seems to tail off and head across loughrea direction:mad:

• Advertisement

Elmo5 wrote: »
    Had a very heavy downpour here earlier this eve, but sun out now. No rumbles. My 6 year old is very very excited about possible thunder storm. He is here looking at youtube videos of thunder and lightning and looking out the window to see if the clouds are dark yet!

me too, and I am in my 40's ...:eek::o

From ME's Sea Area forecast:

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Weather for all sea areas: Widespread heavy showers gradually developing, especially in the west, southwest and northwest this evening. Moderate to high risk of thunder.[/FONT]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Jake1 wrote: »
    Hey, there's no embarrasment in here about one's love of extreme weather!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Timistry

Elmo5 wrote: »
    Had a very heavy downpour here earlier this eve, but sun out now. No rumbles. My 6 year old is very very excited about possible thunder storm. He is here looking at youtube videos of thunder and lightning and looking out the window to see if the clouds are dark yet!

You have taught him well Elmo!:)

More strikes in the midlands, further east than before

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The storm over Galway was weird. It came in from the SW & then developed over the Burren. It then took a left turn across Galway Bay. Totally missed me but I can hear it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

More strikes in the midlands, further east than before

Same map but only deals with strikes within the last 3hrs:

http://andvari.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/i_dag_na.html?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Jake1 wrote: »

Lol. I'm nearly 36 and i'm like a kid on xmas eve. Mrs. Lucan on the other hand is getting ready to hide under the duvet!:p

Discodog wrote: »
    It then took a left turn across Galway Bay. Totally missed me but I can hear it.

Frightfully black to my SW too but all streaming into west Galway by the looks of it. Can see CB's towards the midlands also. That's the great thing about being piggy in the middle, you get to see what is happening all around you. :rolleyes:

lord lucan wrote: »
    Lol. I'm nearly 36 and i'm like a kid on xmas eve. Mrs. Lucan on the other hand is getting ready to hide under the duvet!:p

Used to hate them, but now I love storms. When I lived in Texas id sit on the patio, with a black plastic bag wrapped around me and watch for hours.

• Advertisement

I really dont think we are going to see much more than the few odd strikes like this for the rest of tonight now. Maybe Kerry/Cork will see a bit more activity later.

Tomorrow should be a different story though.

Some major low level swirls to my north and west at the moment. There was a wall cloud that seemed to almost reach the ground a few minutes ago, I couldn't see cos someone built a stupid house in the way! :mad: With such low LCLs and strong low level updrafts, reports of small funnels are inevitable I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    on hols. he sent me a pic
    enfieldkevin171002_100x110.jpg
    only joking owen
    Funnel cloud was reported this evening in Antrim.

Owen is in Kansas.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Tomorrow is sounding pretty severe.

A risk of tornadoes?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Su Campu wrote: »
    Some major low level swirls to my north and west at the moment. There was a wall cloud that seemed to almost reach the ground a few minutes ago, I couldn't see cos someone built a stupid house in the way! :mad: With such low LCLs and strong low level updrafts, reports of small funnels are inevitable I'd say.

I could of sworn i seen a funnel only 15 minutes ago !
    I came on to see if there was anyone witnessing anything similar.
    But e if it wasnt a funnel , it sure was very low down. And a small swirling motion was also there.

OR is it just my eyes WANTING to see it? ha
    Sitting in now watchin a movie, right beside the window to keep watch!

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Timistry

Su Campu wrote: »

I want it and I want it now!:D

Latest USAF chart has no thunderstorms for us for 00 or 06Z tomorrow, but some isolated storms at 12Z

21OWS_EUROPE_FITL_THUNDERSTORM-STANDARD_24.gif

Some powerful skies here now and looking particularly intense towards the south. Very ominous hue but not a drop of rain so far today. (first dry day this month!).

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

been throwing it down for last hour here

• Advertisement

Some scary similarities with the current setup and that of the afternoon before the big one, 25th July 1985. History repeating itself and all that.....:)

We couldn't get it again....could we??! :pac:

12Z 25th July 1985

Rrea1985072512.gif

Compare those to these...

18Z 20th July 2010

120959.png
    120960.png
    120963.png

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement