Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorm/Convective Watch: Summer 2010

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Lovely NNE breeze springing up now just in time to blow any potential away from here. Christ above :mad:

Just heard there is flooding around Claregalway, anyone around there to confirm?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Some powerful skies here now and looking particularly intense towards the south. Very ominous hue but not a drop of rain so far today. (first dry day this month!).
    Surprised you have gotten anything DE. Really heavy in the city tonight, I wouldn't rule it out yet. Met eireann radar might suggest something swinging overhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Ah Su, dont be teasin us with stuff like that. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Su Campu wrote: »
    Some scary similarities with the current setup and that of the afternoon before the big one, 25th July 1985. History repeating itself and all that.....:)

We couldn't get it again....could we??! :pac:

Don't be teasing us Su!:p

Lovely NNE breeze springing up now just in time to blow any potential away from here. Christ above :mad:

Just heard there is flooding around Claregalway, anyone around there to confirm?

18Z GFS has the heavest rain still to hit the West between 3 and 6 in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Elmo5

My 6 year old in bed thankfully, probably dreaming about thunder and lightning!

is that it for the night in the east?

not much showing up on the radar and showers have died out.

am really hoping to hear one clap of thunder tomorrow :D

I think I just caught a flash of lightening out the couner of my eye to my ESE. Not totally sure as my perceptions are a bit sensitive at the mo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

I think I just caught a flash of lightening out the couner of my eye to my ESE. Not totally sure as my perceptions are a bit sensitive at the mo.
    Or time to step away from the keyboard..step away from the keyboard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

BOO!!!

Or time to step away from the keyboard..step away from the keyboard.

Another one just there, so not seeing things. Distant flickering blue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

are you sure it's not the effects of the medication you are taking in order to try and cope with living in Tuam:P

Another one just there, so not seeing things. Distant flickering blue

Probably where the heaviest precip is there on the radar DE?

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

not as much as a fart in the sky here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Elmo5

Same here, I can see stars and that's generally not a good sign for storm watching.

Probably where the heaviest precip is there on the radar DE?

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

Im guessing that. I would roughly way about 10 miles east or NE of the city but it was very far away towards the horizon.

are you sure it's not the effects of the medication you are taking in order to try and cope with living in Tuam:P

Da baz will be paying you a visit soon Mr Mayo:

mafia-gang-thumb4376103.jpg

It is useless trying to hide....

:p

Edit: no flickers to report since. Spitting the odd drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It has started to rain lightly here. Unfortunately there is not even a distant rumbling to be heard at the moment:(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

As a child I used to rush into the greenhouse - great place to watch lightning & the thunder sounds much louder.

Not the greatest of Estofex forecasts for us, but at least its better than what they had for today which was nothing :

2010072206_201007202312_1_stormforecast.xml.png

It has started to rain lightly here. Unfortunately there is not even a distant rumbling to be heard at the moment:(

Yep, just another 2010 flop to be honest. When for a spin up to Galway and drove home via Athenry to check out any potential floodings but apart from one or 2 spots didn't come across anything particularly serious.

Looks like we will be entering a very non-descript pattern for the remainder of July but we still have August and early September to come, a period that can bring the most ferocious storms of the summer, so still a hope to cling onto.

After that, I will be looking out for some proper Atlantic storms. We are long long long overdue them so hopefully mamma nature will compensate for the lack of them last winter. :)

Bring them on!

• Advertisement

Yellow Meteoalarm warning out for all of Ireland Wednesday:
    Widespread heavy and thundery showers today with the riskof flash flooding

http://www.meteoalarm.eu

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Yep, just another 2010 flop IMBY to be honest. When for a spin up to the big city lights and drove home via the fields to check out any potential refilling of flood plains but apart from one or 2 spots didn't come across anything particularly serious.

Looks like we will be entering a very pleasant pattern for the remainder of July but we still have August and early September to come, a period that can bring the most ferocious storms of the summer to the east coast, especially Dublin, so still a hope to cling onto.

After that, I will be looking out for some proper counties to live in. We are long long long overdue a nuclear blast so hopefully mamma nature will compensate for the lack of them last winter. :)

Bring them on!

Fixed that post for you DE :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭monster1

thunder and lightning here now in Roscommon.

Rougies wrote: »
    Fixed that post for you DE :cool:

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

I think I am suffering from RAMPitis. Symptoms: Staring at the sky for so long after being told I would see lightening that i start hallucinating and seeing pink elephants.

There is a cure though. Don't stare at sky from 10pm to 1am.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Not the greatest of Estofex forecasts for us, but at least its better than what they had for today which was nothing :

2010072206_201007202312_1_stormforecast.xml.png

WHAT! THat is completely wrong its us and scotland thats getting the rain today, that is covering all the areas that ain't getting rain and not covering the rain band areas typical!:rolleyes:

Moderate rain with the odd heavy burst here at the moment. Made a fair drop of rain overnight too judging by the gauge. A clammy 13c with a 2mph northerly offering little relief.

Enjoy your return pm induced storms today east people. :cool:

WolfIRE wrote:
    I think I am suffering from RAMPitis. Symptoms: Staring at the sky for so long after being told I would see lightening that i start hallucinating and seeing pink elephants.

You seen them too? Phew, thought it was just me!

owenc wrote: »
    WHAT! THat is completely wrong its us and scotland thats getting the rain today, that is covering all the areas that ain't getting rain and not covering the rain band areas typical!:rolleyes:

It's not a rain forecast Owen, just shows areas where they are forecasting thunderstorms/hail/tornadoes to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,517 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

With a frontal zone developing across south central Ireland at this time, expect a gradual development of heavy thundery showers in counties from about Kildare southwest to Cork including (at least) Offaly, Westmeath, Laois, Tipps, east Limerick, then later Waterford, Kilkenny, Carlow, Wicklow, Dublin, Meath, finally Wexford as the activity will likely rotate around that way eventually.

No reason to write this off yet as the maximum potential was always going to be this afternoon and evening with the upper low drifting through the south.

But key here is patience, the system is not explosive and will take some time to ramp up. Having a few sunny breaks to mid-day in the southeast can only help get this to more intense levels.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

It's not a rain forecast Owen, just shows areas where they are forecasting thunderstorms/hail/tornadoes to be.

Erm the metoffice has a warning out for us.... i think since we are under a band we have more risk...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement