Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorm/Convective Watch: Summer 2010

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Looking north from Tallaght....crap phone

121029.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Been a nice dry sunny day so far in Finglas even though the met.ie radar showed pink and red blots over what looked to be north west Dublin. Mostly blue skies with some dark clouds off to the north of here.

Latest SIGMET for Irish Airspace

EISN SIGMET 02 VALID 211215/211415 EINN- EISN SHANNON FIR/UIR EMBD TS FCST LAN N OF 5200N TOP FL300 INTSF

VALID 12:15-12:15Z
    EMBEDDED THUNDERSTORMS FORECAST OVER LAND NORTH OF 52N, TOPS 30,000FT, INTENSIFYING

Like that last word at the end???!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭fifilarue

Neddyusa wrote: »
    You weren't seeing things there lastnight DE.. I'm in south Roscommon here and it was the maddest lightening I've ever seen. Huge flashes of white and then blue with orange and red forks to the top of the sky.
    Scared the bejausus outa me - seemed to be centered close enough to Ballinasloe at that time - about half ten.

Was in Ballinasloe when it was going on last night and have to say it was incredible-sheet and forked lightening like something from a Hollywood movie and deafening thunder. Bucketing down too. I love summer storms :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Fork lightning is savage!! :D

Thought it was moving away but only getting here by the looks of it. I'll try get a video.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Su Campu wrote: »

VALID 12:15-12:15Z
    EMBEDDED THUNDERSTORMS FORECAST OVER LAND NORTH OF 52N, TOPS 30,000FT, INTENSIFYING

Like that last word at the end???!! :D

north of 52n basically includes the entire island?

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Timistry

WolfeIRE wrote: »

Thats what i was thinking..... but i live practically on the coast so the overland bit does not apply to me.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

should be some impressive lightening displays off waterford and wexford coastlines
    http://sproule.co.uk/weather/svlightning.html

WolfeIRE wrote: »

Well no, because it's only for the Shannon FIR/UIR, which doesn't include Ulster (that's under Scottish control). That bit over Donegal not in grey is also part of Shannon.

282ybyghuyo4jamdtnq9.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Getting brighter here now. Just a few rumbles earlier. Looks like our Wexford neighbours are having all the action.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 heather54

Thunder in Wexford town from about 13:45, until 14:30, stopped for now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Well no, because it's only for the Shannon FIR/UIR, which doesn't include Ulster (that's under Scottish control). That bit over Donegal not in grey is also part of Shannon.

282ybyghuyo4jamdtnq9.jpg

Why is donegal under scottish control?:confused: Does it not depend what map you are using, my dad is learning and i was looking at the maps one of them says northern england region and then scotland above that... actually never mind i asked him and he said there was a scottish one and a london one.

owenc wrote: »
    Why is donegal under scottish control?:confused: Does it not depend what map you are using, my dad is learning and i was looking at the maps one of them says northern england region and then scotland above that

Donegal's under Shannon control - see above

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

heather54 wrote: »
    Thunder in Wexford town from about 13:45, until 14:30, stopped for now.

Started again :)

Donegal's under Shannon control - see above

Oh sorry theres that many bloody lines i never seen it, i don't know how anyone learns them charts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Elmo5

am here looking out at blue skies and sunshine, not one bit of thunder or lightning. feels very disappointed :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Cant believe we havent got the 2nd radar to look at on a day like this!

Elmo5 wrote: »
    am here looking out at blue skies and sunshine, not one bit of thunder or lightning. feels very disappointed :(

I'd rather be in your weather! Its raining and only 13c! UGH It was 22c yesterday too!:(

owenc wrote: »
    Oh sorry theres that many bloody lines i never seen it, i don't know how anyone learns them charts!

Sorry, my fault. Here's one that's clearer :pac:

map.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

A bit of thundery low cloud and a dog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Warmer and more stable conditions will be setting in around Friday and into next week so enjoy what could be our last day of thunder for the forseeable future.

Any more funnel sightings?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

lashing rain in cork, no thunder. bah.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

BILD0254.jpg?t=1279721674

Here's what is passing by me atm

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Big flash and thunder here in Trim, just once so far though. Would love some decent fireworks... it's been ages!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Have been watching this convective cloud build up over Dublin CC ,,great to watch

Large
    http://img808.imageshack.us/img808/3892/img2672g.jpg

Wide
    img2673q.jpg

img2672.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

Bit of thunder in Gorey... LOTS of rain!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

That dog frightened the ****e outta me Mike,i had the volume cranked up to hear the thunder!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

You can see the strike from where Grace heard the thunder as the red dot here

http://andvari.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/

Edit : Another now in Limerick/Clare area

Amazing! I did not hear it; our collie started freaking out... she only does that when she hears thunder.

lord lucan wrote: »
    That dog frightened the ****e outta me Mike,i had the volume cranked up to hear the thunder!:eek:

sames nearly had a heartatake that thing is freaking nuts!:eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement

Graces7 wrote: »
    Amazing! I did not hear it; our collie started freaking out... she only does that when she hears thunder.

Hmmm same that is right over me too i never heard anything..:confused: I'll ask my mum she works to the east of the town, how the heck did you dog here it though away down were you are!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement