Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorm/Convective Watch: Summer 2010

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

wow. that is something else. box of popcorn at the ready

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

Yeah saw something similar driving back from Bosnia to Dubrovnik in Croatia 2 summers ago, relentless lightning, went on for well over a hour too, the part we saw anyway.

Those are proper storms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

Very reminisicent of the thunder storms that hit Dublin in the mid 80's. Five forks of lightening going simultaneously in the sky at any one time, for hours, and having to retreat away from the windows as it came overhead and started blasting away around the house. Will we ever see the likes again ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Love the reaction on this one...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Hoping for something like this again.

Witnessed something like it in North Carolina in 2000. Good times

I love the guys enthusiasm in this one. Normally all you hear is people shrieking all over the video and ruining it!:)

• Advertisement

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Was that direction myself BB for a couple of weeks in June. Had some great storms! See http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055954823

Was on the I-4 one day (travelling at speed) and clocked 104c.
    104mph..wow hope you didn't meet the sherrif :pac:

It's a great state for chasing storms,thats what we did here for the last few years.Nothing at all yet whereas last year was amazing.When it does thunder here it doesn't do it by halves!

The tropical wave is due in tomorrow so that should enhance things big time hopefully.Then for us and our american cousins it's onto the west coast and southern california and forget about weather except for the sunshine for a while :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 unes79

here you go! I got it outside my house while bringing the dog in out of the rain. i have two more clips i will upload later, one showing how strong the rain was pouring even though the sun was slitting the trees!! madness!
    Yes i do believe the funnel was very close to the ground oscar mike! i took this behind forth mountain from the rosslare/murrintown angle!!

Sorry, I couldn't upload the video due to a file error. Here is the url

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y-u_anHTRY

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Great stuff! Thanks for posting unes79.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

This is one of the videos that i managed to catch from my attic on my iphone.

Sorry for the video being sideways!, i had a big slr in one and the iphone recording in the other.

http://youtu.be/uSITz-PV4Es

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

And heres the other one.

RECORDED THE RIGHT WAY.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHi4FE3Tydw

Lighting at 1.50 ( too far away for phone to pick up in detail )
    Thunder at 2.10.

Can anyone explain to me that even tough the thunder didnt travel until 2.10 , u can hear a small distortion or rumble when the strike happens... i just wondering how thats happening?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭xper

Iancar29 wrote: »
    And heres the other one.
    Can anyone explain to me that even tough the thunder didnt travel until 2.10 , u can hear a small distortion or rumble when the strike happens... i just wondering how thats happening?
    Good question. To pull a theory straight out of my head (which the weather experts are free to shoot down in flames! :) ) ... perhaps the main lightning strike gives rise to other, immediate discharges in the surrounding area of a much lower strength (and therefore unnoticed visually). If one or some of these are in your immediate vicinity you would perhaps hear the modest sound associated with them much earlier than the (relatively) slow moving rumble created by the main strike.
    As I say, I base this theory on absolutely nothing!

Or maybe its an artefact of the recording device? Did you notice it 'live' or just on the playback?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭xper

DominoDub wrote: »
    A report on some Damage & Flooding from yesterdays storm in Dublin CC.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/lightning-shatters-another-irish-summer-2267951.html?start=1
    "... in an unexpected spate of severe conditions. ..."
    "... Met Eireann issued a number of warnings ..."

Good ol' Indo, never let the facts get in the way...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,517 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Wednesday's storms did a great job of avoiding weather observation sites, apparently ... Dub(A) reported a massive 0.1 mms of rain for the date, while various other parts of the city seemed to get 10-30 mms. Same for Oak Park which picked up less than 2 mms.

Nice work on the videos and photos, everyone ... some of those funnel clouds were trying their best to become tornadoes, probably somewhere in the country, one succeeded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

xper wrote: »
    "... in an unexpected spate of severe conditions. ..."
    "... Met Eireann issued a number of warnings ..."

Good ol' Indo, never let the facts get in the way...

Just read that article and the whole thing just smacks contradicion in every paragraph. Still, it is nice to see the weather in other parts of the country being mentioned as well simply because Dublin city centre got a shower..

some fireworks display in germany and latvia
    http://www.blitzortung.org/Webpages/index.php?lang=en&subpage_3=3

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    some fireworks display in germany and latvia

Some really nasty weather forecast for Poland too over the the next 24-36 hrs:

http://www.dmi.dk/dmi/index/danmark/vejrkort.htm

some strokes off west coast. europe is lit up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Some nice Cu humilis out at 3500-4000ft this afternoon. I went up for a quick flight, this was taken from 3000ft, looking southwestwards, with Kinnegad and the M4 in the foreground. Just enough haze to make out the sun's rays.

Ireland's looking a lot greener now!

IMG_2111.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Timistry

Watch all of this to the very end. Trust me. Just watching it scared the effing sh1t outa me.

awesome! the commentary was brill .... f'in dog...:) Loved the way the flash was so bright the camera blacked out. Must have overloaded the cameras CCD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

121324.JPG

121325.JPG

Great vid,here's the stills.

• Advertisement

Not really to do with thunder but one of my fav videos of a large dust devil:

The one shooting the video goes right into it towards the end. Imagine what being inside a tornado must be like as even going from that footage, it looks to be a very disorientatiing experience..

ps, I wonder would it be a good idea to open up a thread dedicated to weather videos and stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

redsunset wrote: »
    121324.JPG

That's exactly the coloured bolt I seen hitting the ground on Wednesday :cool:

ESTOFEX have us with a slight chance of thunderstorms in the next 24hrs, though I'm not sure where they're getting that from. They say a mid level trough will pass through - I don't see it! We're actually under the influence of a building upper ridge! :confused:
    Balkan, Italy, Spain and British Isles are locations with an unstable aimass where a mid-level shortwave trough passes which will likely help to activate convection.

showforecast.cgi?lightningmap=yes&fcstfile=2010072506_201007240518_2_stormforecast.xml

Su Campu wrote: »
    ESTOFEX have us with a slight chance of thunderstorms in the next 24hrs, though I'm not sure where they're getting that from. They say a mid level trough will pass through - I don't see it! We're actually under the influence of a building upper ridge! :confused:

showforecast.cgi?lightningmap=yes&fcstfile=2010072506_201007240518_2_stormforecast.xml

I agree Su, cannot understand estofex giving us a chance of TS's today, seems very unlikely!

I would guess it was to do with the weak occlusion that passed over today:

121448.gif

the day's heating seems to have initiated a slight deepening of the trough as it travelled over Ireland today:

121447.jpg

which would have increased instability a little so my guess is this is where Estofex were coming from.

I am open to being wrong though...

I don't think so Deep, that occlusion was a really weak affair, and lower pressure at the surface is a common occurence in summertime under surface heating, even in times of high pressure. The 3hr HIRLAMs whow this up very well. They were speaking of a mid level trough, maybe there is a slight sign of it in the 12Z Castor Bay sounding, with steepened lapse rates between 600-450hPa and veering winds above it? There are no 12Z soundings available for the English stations, so hard to know if it's real or not. Maybe MT would explain if he gets a chance.

In any case, it didn't produce anything if it was present, though they did only give a 15% chance.

2010072412.03918.skewt.gif

Amazing video of lightning slowed down 300x....total time elapsed only 0.5sec!

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=fd1_1279896629

A few Irish Times clippings of the infamous and much fabled storm that occurred on the night of the 25th July 1985, this day 25 years ago!

From the 25th, the day before the night of the storm, even up to then, weather was pretty crap apparantly!:

121483.png
    Ar0080401.pngAr0080402.pngAr0080403.pngAr0080404.png

Forecast on the 25th July 1985:

121608.jpg

Chart for 12 Noon:

Pc0081800.jpg

Pc0081900.jpg

a wavering frontal zone!!

On the 27th, the storms that occurred on the night of the 25th made headlines:

Pc0011500.jpg

front page showng a lightening bolt over Co Antrim on the night.

Headline:

Ar0010000.png
    Ar0010001.pngAr0010004.png

Some guy in Mullingar still wondering what the .... happened here!!:

Pc0011600.jpg

Noon forecast for the 26th:

Pc0081500.jpg

off the the east it goes with more fronts lining up to the west in true Irish summer style...

All clippings c/o Irish Times Digital Archive:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/

Great finds there DE. I've never seen those clippings before. Interesting to see how the forecast never really touched on the possibility of severe weather. That night was the earliest and still the most incredible weather memories I have. As many have said before, I wonder if we will ever see the likes of it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

ps, I wonder would it be a good idea to open up a thread dedicated to weather videos and stuff?

Good idea, it's ok to post the odd video or picture from a convective event as it's happening in this thread but i've made a sticky in the weather pictures forum for more random weather-related videos which anyone stumbles upon:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement