Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorm/Convective Watch: Summer 2010

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

Driving out of Cavan town i saw about four flashes of lightening really torrential rain here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

A nice day down here , not much going on at all , just a few light showers.

That shower over Galway looked intense , some lightning with that no doubt , it has turned out alot more active today than was forecast by GFS. Good to know lightning is not dead for another year yet , maybe a bit further south-east though next time eh? lol :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Really kicking off here now, got some pics too i'll upload in a bit, some mad looking clouds :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

OMG! I just had a two hour session of torrential rain! It started around three, light at first then gradually heavier and heavier until sheets of rain where falling and then it turned into sheets of ice / not hail and that lasted for a good 1 hour at least, i was out for 10 secs and i was drenched to the bone, and i say 6 strikes of lightening but only one thump it was really, really loud! It is going to start again i can see super high clouds again and they cancelled flights at derry so something must be happening. Got verrry cold too dropped down to 4c from 13c two hours ago, but is back upto ****ty 10c ugh!

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Really kicking off here now, got some pics too i'll upload in a bit, some mad looking clouds :D
    dscf2367l.jpg

More pics here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=67531134#post67531134

• Advertisement

Is it my eyes or is there a strange double-arch feature on the right hand side of the pic? Strange diturbance maybe?

owenc wrote: »
    OMG! I just had a two hour session of torrential rain! It started around three, light at first then gradually heavier and heavier until sheets of rain where falling and then it turned into sheets of ice / not hail and that lasted for a good 1 hour at least, i was out for 10 secs and i was drenched to the bone, and i say 6 strikes of lightening but only one thump it was really, really loud! It is going to start again i can see super high clouds again and they cancelled flights at derry so something must be happening. Got verrry cold too dropped down to 4c from 13c two hours ago, but is back upto ****ty 10c ugh!

Deadly! That's something you don't get round these parts , do you have any pics or videos , sounds deadly , would love to see what that ice looked like.

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    Deadly! That's something you don't get round these parts , do you have any pics or videos , sounds deadly , would love to see what that ice looked like.

No sorry i don't have pitures and for once you were nice.:pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Well you have to hand it to ESTOFEX, their lightning forecast map for the northeast of Ireland was spot on!

Forecast
    showforecast.cgi?lightningmap=yes&fcstfile=2010081906_201008172112_1_stormforecast.xml

Actual
    124653.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

More pics here:

amazing pics hellboy. you lucky thing getting that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

A fairly sharp cold front is forecast to sweep over Ireland on either Friday morning or early afternoon which may give some heavy showery bursts in places:

124676.jpg

Would be ideal if it held back until the late afternoon to allow some reasonable surface heating to take place within the warm sector but anyway.

The actual warm front ahead of this trough is forecast to become rather active also as it meets our current relatively cool bank of air into tomorrow afternoon:

124678.gif

which is forecast by DMI and ECMWF in particular to bring some heavy pulses of rain over the SE half of Ireland. Current GFS and UKMO runs seem less enthusiastic about this development but one to watch maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Is it my eyes or is there a strange double-arch feature on the right hand side of the pic? Strange diturbance maybe?

Anyone hav a satellite image of this event.... ThAT DIDN'T COmE ANYWHERE NEAR Dublin!.... Well , it did. But it must of been only gettin started. :(

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Anyone hav a satellite image of this event.... ThAT DIDN'T COmE ANYWHERE NEAR Dublin!.... Well , it did. But it must of been only gettin started. :(

Taken at 1600utc: Hellboy gets lucky!

124684.gif

Image source: http://www.sat24.com/history.aspx?country=gb

Just a reflection of my net curtain.
    WolfeIRE wrote: »
    amazing pics hellboy. you lucky thing getting that.
    Taken at 1600utc: Hellboy gets lucky!
    Makes a change, usually miss all the good events. It was great to watch :D

So this a start of something good for this evening people?
    http://www.met.ie/weathermaps/Web_radar.gif
    If there's enough surface heating i think we could be seeing some action!

Convective index anyone!

So this a start of something good for this evening people?

Web_radar.gif
    If there's enough surface heating i think we could be seeing some action!

Convective index for 2day anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Surface heating won't be massive with the cloud cover over most of Ireland on Vis satellite.

I won't expect much beyond dreary rain, based on the accurate and scientific analysis of life experience:P

Estofex have no warning for here today.

owenc wrote: »
    No sorry i don't have pitures and for once you were nice.:pac::pac:

;) See , I'll be nice as long as you tell the truth , wich i beleive you were yesterday. Good man , im not sure about 4c in the middle of the afternnon but i'll take your word for it!

;) See , I'll be nice as long as you tell the truth , wich i beleive you were yesterday. Good man , im not sure about 4c in the middle of the afternnon but i'll take your word for it!

oh grow up the next snowstorm that you don't beleive i'll get my trusty friends too tell you, i am right.:P

GFS hints that there could be an interesting few hours saturday afternoon/evening, as PVA from a potent little shortwave trough pushes in from the west on the southern flank of the upper low. Depending on high cloud cover from the warm front to the southeast, surface heating could fire things off during the afternoon, and with 50knots deep layer shear, thunderstorms could be ripe. There is a narrow window though, as this upper feature moves through quickly, and it will need to coincide with maximum surface heating for full effect. But one to watch.

124805.gif

• Advertisement

Meanwhile, this evening, some sferics are showing up to our south, but the source may just miss us to the southeast.

EDIT: No Cap'n, they're headed straight this way!!!

sf_na_1d.gif?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭weisses

bit of lightning here in Dingle from that Big shower to the south

• Registered Users Posts: 10,163 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

I would say a good bit,have a look at the "Nasty weather tonight" thread.

Warm front making its presence felt here in Tuam with temp on the rise, up to 15.8c, RH on 98%!

Looks like a nice tight cluster of lightning strkes there in the SW on the maps posted above! :eek:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Sferic in the last hour from shower on the Wexford/Carlow border. http://andvari.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/i_dag_na.html?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Just looking at the radar right now is that just the radar playing tricks I see? An almost perfect line of showers travelling towards the east coast from the west as I speak? No avoiding that band of showers. Any interesting activity coming from them?

dsmythy wrote: »
    Just looking at the radar right now is that just the radar playing tricks I see? An almost perfect line of showers travelling towards the east coast from the west as I speak? No avoiding that band of showers. Any interesting activity coming from them?

Yes it came through about 10 minutes ago sun is coming out now already, wind will start now though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

dsmythy wrote: »

Sudden and mildy vigorous onset, with mildy heavy rain tapering off to moderately light, but really nothing spectular by Irish standards. Just finished passing through here.

ESTOFEX have a Level 1 out for the UK and Ireland for tornadoes and severe wind gusts, though I think they have it slightly wrong when describing the Valentia 00Z sounding(03953), as there is no dewpoint curve above 700hPa, so their description of a saturated atmosphere is incorrect.

showforecast.cgi?lightningmap=yes&fcstfile=2010082106_201008200515_1_stormforecast.xml
    Storm Forecast
    Valid: Fri 20 Aug 2010 06:00 to Sat 21 Aug 2010 06:00 UTC
    Issued: Fri 20 Aug 2010 05:15
    Forecaster: SCHLENCZEK

A level 1 was issued for UK and Ireland mainly for tornadoes and severe wind gusts.

A level 1 was issued for parts of France, Switzerland and Italy mainly for excessive rainfall.

SYNOPSIS

The main feature for organized convection on Friday is a strong low pressure system over the Irish Sea, moving to the NNE towards N Scotland during the period. Its cold front stretches from NW Scotland towards SE Ireland on Friday 06 UTC and will cross the British Isles until the late evening. A 50 m/s southwesterly jet streak points from the East Atlantic towards Scotland with an embedded shortwave trough in the vicinity of the cold front.

Another upper trough is centered over northern Russia but its influence w.r.t. convection will be marginal as CAA stabilizes the lower troposphere over most portions of eastern Europe. Between both low pressure sytems, an upper ridge has established over south-central Europe. Some thunderstorms are expected in the Alpine region and over central France and Italy in a weakly sheared environment.

DISCUSSION

...South-central Alpine region...

A MCS is recently crossing southeastern France, moving towards the Alpes. This system is moving very slowly and tends to propagate backward. The main threat associated with this MCS and subsequent convection is excessive rainfall and local flooding. An isolated severe wind gust / large hail event is not discounted either. Even though shear and forcing tend to decrease with time, a level 1 seems warranted.

...UK and Ireland...

In the vicinity of the cold front, some low-end instability is in place with strong shear at all levels (15 m/s LLS, 20 - 25 m/s DLS). 03953 00Z sounding shows an almost saturated thermally neutral layer from 750 hPa to 300 hPa and SFC T/Td difference close to zero. There is a capping inversion in the lowest 200 hPa which tends to disappear when the dry slot arrives. The 03918 Castor Bay 00Z sounding is similar and points out that a very moist and slighly unstable airmass overlaps with intense LL shear and locally enhanced SRH. Current thinking is that this setup may allow several tornadoes over UK and Ireland, especially in the northern part of Ireland and Scotland where the temperature gradient near the cold front is maximized and upper level winds are perpendicular to the frontal boundary. Another important threat will be severe wind gusts as low level winds already reach values near 20 m/s.

...W Mediterranean, N Morocco and Algeria...

GFS points out some regions with moderate instability (CAPE in order of 1000 - 1500 J/kg) and 15 - 20 m/s deep layer shear over the Mediterranean but initiation is not expected as no source of strong forcing is in place and this airmass is strongly capped with CIN < -200 J/kg. Perhaps a few storms with an isolated large hail event may develop over the N Maghreb States.

2010082000.03953.skewt.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭weisses

Meanwhile in hungary :eek::eek:

http://www.idokep.hu/hirek/tornado-mezokovesd

I think thats the hotspot for european storm chasing ... .so many storms over the plains in central Hungary

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement