Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorm/Convective Watch: Summer 2010

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

4 claps of thunder here in the last 10 minutes. Quiet now for the last couple of minutes and rain starting again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

DOCARCH wrote: »
    4 claps of thunder here in the last 10 minutes. Quiet now for the last couple of minutes and rain starting again.

Heard in Dublin 15 as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

There was some mental thunder n lightning here too, I've never heard thunder so loud before.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I got thunder but no lightning.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Horse_box

I woke up to the loudest thunder I've ever heard. Was hiding in my blankets for cover! Crazy stuff

Those poor people down at Electric Picnic must be getting drenched

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

We had two or three lightning flashes, with thunder and extremely heavy rain around the Red Cow at 9:55 - electricity went off for a second or two. What's weird is that I'd swear there was hail for about a minute. I don't have a thermometer, but would guesstimate the temperature around 15-17. Visibility was down to about 100m.

In the last 10 minutes it's subsided into "just rain" and visibility has improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Horse_box

Thoie wrote: »
    We had two or three lightning flashes, with thunder and extremely heavy rain around the Red Cow at 9:55 - electricity went off for a second or two. What's weird is that I'd swear there was hail for about a minute. I don't have a thermometer, but would guesstimate the temperature around 15-17. Visibility was down to about 100m.

In the last 10 minutes it's subsided into "just rain" and visibility has improved.

Yeah I thought there was hail as well but it was more than likely the sheer downfall of big rain drops decieving my eyes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Some small but intense looking showers running up the Shannon Basin at the moment:

anim_96d43350-be17-d194-29cf-a0fbb78a2f81.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Yes, Gurteen reported 13.6mms of rain in the hour up to 8pm

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭IMC042

I took this picture today in cork, is this a thunderstorm cloud or just a cloud?

DSCF0081.jpg

• Advertisement

It's a cumulonimbus calvus (Cb calv). It shows good strong updrafts (the individual rising bumps), which probably developed a bit further. Did you get to see it later on? If it kept developing, eventually it would hit its equilibrium level, and if that was high enough, the cloud top would take on a wispy appearance (showing glaciation) and spread out to form an anvil, so then would be Cb capillatus or Cb incus. It would then possibly be a thunderstorm, depending on updraft speed, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭IMC042

Su Campu wrote: »
    It's a cumulonimbus calvus (Cb calv). It shows good strong updrafts (the individual rising bumps), which probably developed a bit further. Did you get to see it later on? If it kept developing, eventually it would hit its equilibrium level, and if that was high enough, the cloud top would take on a wispy appearance (showing glaciation) and spread out to form an anvil, so then would be Cb capillatus or Cb incus. It would then possibly be a thunderstorm, depending on updraft speed, etc.

No, i didnt really see what it did afterwards. It was directly north of me and moving north east!

I thought it looked pretty cool so i took a picture. Am excited to see whats going to happen tomorrow afternoon!

This was tonights sunset. This is a sign of instability in the upper atmosphere if im not mistaken.

DSCF0091.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Had thunder this morning in Straffan, round 11.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Some spectacular thunder and lightning over Galway city at the moment :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Got awoken around 2am this morning by thunder and lightening and the heaviest rain i havent heard for ages.

ESTOFEX have a chance of tornadoes for Ireland over the next 24hrs.
    Storm Forecast
    Valid: Mon 06 Sep 2010 06:00 to Tue 07 Sep 2010 06:00 UTC
    Issued: Mon 06 Sep 2010 05:17
    Forecaster: SCHLENCZEK
    A level 1 was issued for NE Spain and S France mainly for excessive precipitation and to a lesser extent for large hail and severe wind gusts.

SYNOPSIS

The Omega pattern over the NE Atlantic tends to weaken during the following days as an upper trough over the Irish Sea will shift eastwards. Unstable air remains near the center of this upper trough and also over SE Poland / Slovak Rep. Subtropical air with weak to moderate instability should be located over S France, NE Tunisia and the E Mediterranean.

DISCUSSION

...Ireland and SW England...

In the wake of the cold front, upper level cooling and diurnal heating should provide some hundred J/kg SBCAPE in an environment with weak LL shear and locally 10 - 15 m/s deep layer shear. As the cloud base should be very low (only a few hundred meters AGL), an isolated funnel / brief tornado cannot be ruled out.

...NE Spain, S France...

Unstable subtropical air remains over parts of Spain and France with dewpoints near 20°C. This airmass should be strongly capped with CIN around -200 J/kg. Later in the day, the cap tends to weaken when 2m temperatures exceed 30°C in many places. Some isolated orographically-induced storms are expected to develop which tend to remain stationary in this weakly sheared environment. Locally, marginally severe hail is possible but the main threat is excessive rainfall with local flooding. An isolated severe wind gust event is not discounted either as a high cloud base will support downdraft acceleration by evaporative cooling. The large hail / heavy rain threat tends to decrease during the late evening / night hours as increasing CIN should reduce convective activity.

...Central Mediterranean...

Some 800 - 1500 J/kg CAPE are forecast over parts of the central Mediterranean / Tyrrhenian Sea. Convection tends to stay isolated as CIN is rather high but some storms may profit from 15 m/s deep layer shear and may become more organized. Isolated large hail and heavy rain near the coastlines is not ruled out but no threat level is issued as most of the precipitation should fall offshore.

...Other regions...

Low-end CAPE and weak vertical shear is present over Italy and Greece. Isolated thunderstorms may develop and low LCL heights combined with locally enhanced LL CAPE may allow an isolated funnel / waterspout near the coastlines. Over the eastern Mediterranean, instability is somewhat higher but organized severe storms are not likely. The heavy rain threat will mostly stay offshore. An isolated waterspout is not ruled out.

Fionagus wrote: »
    Some spectacular thunder and lightning over Galway city at the moment :D:D

Hogging all the thunder to yourself once again I see! :mad:

126665.jpg

Seriously, congratulations!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Well I was woken at around 2.30 am by the loudest clap of thunder that I have ever heard in Galway, the window rattled and you could feel pressure in the ears, after that one we had nearly an hour of thunder and lightning with unreal rain. The one thing that I noticed was how bright and really white the lightning was its normally a blue colour.

Anyone more coming our way today :D:D:D

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Well I was woken at around 2.30 am by the loudest clap of thunder that I have ever heard in Galway, the window rattled and you could feel pressure in the ears, after that one we had nearly an hour of thunder and lightning with unreal rain. The one thing that I noticed was how bright and really white the lightning was its normally a blue colour.

Anyone more coming our way today :D:D:D

Some models have showers breaking out later this afternoon, particulary over the SW and mid-west regions, once the front clears, so ya might be in with a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Lots of people on the Galway City board found it exciting as well

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056022931

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Hogging all the thunder to yourself once again I see! :mad:

126665.jpg

Seriously, congratulations!
    That's quite an impressive thunder shield you have in Tuam !!:pac::pac:

Fionagus wrote: »
    That's quite an impressive thunder shield you have in Tuam !!:pac::pac:

He/she/it who laughs last...;)

We apparantly did have a lot of lightning flashing over Tuam last night though around 2am according to eyewitnesses; but of course, I slept though it!

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

All this talk of thunder and lighting is making me depressed, i have not heard or seen anything during 2010:(!!. I had storms north, east and south and west of me here in Louth and nothing above, its one of the most weather boring counties in Ireland!
    Fingers crossed for later on:)

skipz wrote: »
    I had storms north, east and south and west of me here in Louth and nothing above, its one of the most weather boring counties in Ireland!
    Apart from Galway! :cool:

Louth could well be one of the most favoured spots, along with much of the midlands and east, for some homegrown storms this week as slack but volitilile areas of low pressue hover over or close to the country. The Estofex warning posted by Su Compu above I doubt is far from the mark.

Hoping you'll get to see something.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

Apart from Galway! :cool:

Louth could well be one of the most favoured spots, along with much of the midlands and east, for some homegrown storms this week as slack but volitilile areas of low pressue hover over or close to the country. The Estofex warning posted by Su Compu above I doubt is far from the mark.

Hoping you'll get to see something.

Lets keep them fingers crossed:).

There was a hook echo type feature on the radar this morning, moving northeards from Waterford. I wonder was there anything to it!!

anim_2a8485b2-f1cf-3a64-e162-7148f39420db.gif

A couple of random strikes in the SW over the last while:

126708.gif

fairly well spaced apart:

http://www.meteox.nl/h.aspx?r=&jaar=-3&soort=satradar

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭decskelligs

there is Thunder and lightning at cork airport at the moment sounds like it is just off to the east of us

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

A nasty looking arc of showers has developed over Cork in the last hour or so. Producing lots of sparks. http://andvari.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/i_dag_na.html?

• Advertisement

SIGMET issued for Ireland
    EISN SIGMET 02 VALID 061520/061720 EINN- EISN SHANNON FIR/UIR FRQ TS OBS WITHIN 15NM OF LINE N5220 W00830 - N5200 W00800 TOP FL270 MOV NNE AT 10KT NC=

"Valid 1520-1720Z. Frequent Thunderstorms observed within 15 nautical miles of a line from N5220 W0830 to N5200 W0800, cluod tops 27,000ft, moving north northeastwards at 10 knots, no change"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement