Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorm/Convective Watch: Summer 2010

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

DOCARCH wrote: »
    A nasty looking arc of showers has developed over Cork in the last hour or so. Producing lots of sparks. http://andvari.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/i_dag_na.html?

Lightning strikes at a rate of about 1 every minute, but seems to have stopped in the last 20 minutes

http://andvari.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/elding.txt?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Looks like all hell is about to break lose over South Tipp going on the latest RADAR loop:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

A couple of small showers popping up NW of Galway too:

126726.gif

Please please please....:o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

I have never seen so much rain fall in 30 mins as I have just witnessed, the thunder and lightening in Tipperary Town now is apocolyptic! There is cars just pulled over on a road outside my house, in the town because they cant drive on the road as its flooded...!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

FearDark wrote: »
    I have never seen so much rain fall in 30 mins as I have just witnessed, the thunder and lightening in Tipperary Town now is apocolyptic! There is cars just pulled over on a road outside my house, in the town because they cant drive on the road as its flooded...!

Looks very nasty on the latest met radar:

126727.jpg

you lucky (%^£$O*&

• Advertisement

Conditions look ripe for thundery action tomorrow!! Could be a strobe lightshow!

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭IMC042

FearDark wrote: »

This was the tipperary storm as it was developing north of cork before it hit! Looks like a beast.. lucky sods. :mad:

DSCF0136.jpg

DSCF0142.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Good risk of storms today initially across the mid west and then in the East later this afternoon.:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Possible cells developing between North Waterford and South Co Dublin moving North East

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/index.html

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

Maybe a rumble or two shortly in Carlow, East Kildare, West Wicklow and South Co Dublin and local downpours.

Also some lively showers in the mid west atm around Limerick, Tipp and places like that.

Strikes reported in Limerick, Waterford, and most recently in Louth.

http://andvari.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/elding.txt?

Also the radar is showing an intense cell moving across northern Co. Cork, which will probably let off some fireworks soon.

The whole southern half of the country looks like having plenty of action this afternoon as the high cirrus shield moves northeastwards, leaving good diabatic heating in its wake. We should see plenty more sferics show up, as well as in the west, where convection is impressive along the trailing occlusion.

sf_na_1d.gif?

• Advertisement

have you seen in the last 2 hrs also the interesting narrow heavy shower line hugging the coast from north dublin to down and also the coast from bray down to mid wexford.
    The latter is directly overhead here and is giving spurts of downpours -mad jagged edges in the clouds,anvils and cb's...sparks are imminent.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I'm not seeing or hearing any of these strikes currently, though there's occasional heavy bursts of rain for the past hour. It's mainly light rain that's falling currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Wexford town in with a chance of seeing any sparks today?

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

The one in Galway last Monday night was a pleasant surprise,it was a really good show too.As another poster said you could feel the air pressure,there was almost a "crackling" feeling in the air,never experienced that before,my room lit up so bright too:).Waiting for another:).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Two claps of thunder in Dundalk the last 30 minutes. Very heavy rain to my NW...lovely hook type echo on doppler and it looked like there was wallcloud type structure to the shower when I saw it on the way home from work a while ago.

image.ashx?ok=1&country=eu&type=last&time=201009071500&sat=

The thin East coast hugging line has formed into a narrow line now of its own all the way from mallin head to south wexford hooking inland through ulster away from the coast to mallin head.
    It's very white on the sat image for 3 suggesting high cold cloud tops and has lots of red now along it's line on the radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

there a big dark cloud cross over east cork at the moment. i expect heavy rain

One strike has been reported at between Mitchelstown and Fermoy at 14:25

heavy shower in cork now. no lightening or thunder yet

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    heavy shower in cork now. no lightening or thunder yet

A few strikes being reported now in the Cork City area

• Advertisement

didnt see anything or hear anything :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭milly4ever

anything expected up here? been sunny all day!

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

Wertz wrote: »
    Two claps of thunder in Dundalk the last 30 minutes. Very heavy rain to my NW...lovely hook type echo on doppler and it looked like there was wallcloud type structure to the shower when I saw it on the way home from work a while ago.

:(:(:(Iam Louth and have not heard or seen anything all YEAR!:(:(:(

Dundalk seems to hogging all the fun this year:)

I've plotted all the lightning strikes recorded in the Republic up to 5pm today (red squares), going by the Icelandic file. Winners alright are Louth and Cork......

126824.PNG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

skipz wrote: »

Dundalk seems to hogging all the fun this year:)

What little there's been...
    Certainly nowhere near as good as other summers in terms of lightning.

Heavy, slow moving shower here again, after strong sunshine just 30 minutes ago...couldn't rule out another strike or two, but not counting on it...

[edit] Those four strikes out by the border are where I saw that wall cloud type shower earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

some really intense showers here today but again no sparks... :mad::mad:... i live in hope though:)

One strike recorded just off the coast west of Clifden. Here's the cell responsible, and it's moving eastwards

126841.png

Mace Head's in the thick of that precipitation in the west and is reporting 24kt winds at 2000. Must be convectively enhanced

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Thats a fair whack of heavy rain alright!!

126853.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

hope that doesn't add to the huge volumes of water already in the upper river shannon. last november the upper shannon experienced similar rainfalla and could not cope. resulted in flooding in athlone, ballinasloe and the lower river shannon into se clare and limerick city environs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement