Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorm/Convective Watch: Summer 2010

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Neddyusa wrote: »
    Right lads, as ye all seem to be hoping for and forecasting thunderstorms and other rain related conditions, what or when do people reckon are the chances of maybe two days in the next week or ten days without heavy or prolonged rain?

In otherwords is there any bad weather for you people on the horizon?
    Could'nt get digger work done here last week and it badly needs doin this week or its forget it til next year time...

Thanks!

Really hard to predict that far out Neddyusa and have no idea what part of the country you are in but generally speaking, tomorrow mightn't be too bad. Monday is looking damp and wet as is the first part of Tuesday. The mid-week period will may well be showery and breezy but given the nature of showery weather, it could well stay dry in your area during this period.

Best bet is too keep up to date here on boards via M.T Cranium's daily forecast thread which is stickied at the top of this particular forum.

Total recorded strikes for August last according to the UK Met Office:

127344.gif

Some areas, esp in the south-west, seemed to do fairly well but overall, August proved to be equally as disappointing as the preceding June & July for anything worthwhile thunderwise over the bulk of the country.

I think it is about time this thread was put out of its misery. It has been suffering a slow and agonising death since it was first opened at the start of last summer.

From a local point of view, this year has been the worst I can remember for the sheer lack of anything remotely thundery. An isolated clap and a couple of distant rumbles during one afternoon last July was about the sum of it here. :( Hopefully the deepening Autumn and the coming Winter will offer generous recompence! (but I know it won't, it will be just more of the same trash as always!)

Mods, can you delete this thread? throw it in the bin; burn it publically; feed it to the pigs, anything, just get it the hell out of my site! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Hopefully the deepening Autumn and the coming Winter will offer generous recompence!

I forecast that this uncharacteristic sense of optimism regarding the coming winter will bring nothing but disapointment. :( There's nothing but mundanity and mildewed skies ahead for the foreseeable in the West. (giving this reverse psychology lark a whirl - can't hurt)

Fionagus wrote: »
    I forecast that this uncharacteristic sense of optimism regarding the coming winter will bring nothing but disapointment. :(

Fi, my apologies! will edit post accordingly. Can't believe I slipped into a brief postive vibe there! :o:o

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

At the request of Deep Easterly.

We are gathered here today...

alxtronics-346102-albums-sam-pic22923-dead-thread.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Quite a bit of thundery activity in those showers to the north and north west this morning.

http://andvari.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/i_dag_na.html?

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Quite a bit of thundery activity in those showers to the north and north west this morning.

http://andvari.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/i_dag_na.html?

The strikes look isolated in nature but are slowing but surely moving SE'wards.

Current sat:
    127554.gif

Some of those heavier showers are forecast to clip the north coast later on today but whether they will bring a rumble I can't say.

756die.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Fi, my apologies! will edit post accordingly. Can't believe I slipped into a brief postive vibe there! :o:o

:p

Were you drinking with the Taoiseach last night in Galway Deep?:p

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Were you drinking with the Taoiseach last night in Galway Deep?:p

I've been rumbled! Hobnobbing with the lords of venality is my ting...:)

Seems to be a slight increase in sferic frequency off the northwest coast over the last hour or so:

http://www.meteox.nl/h.aspx?r=&jaar=-3&soort=satradar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I've been rumbled! Hobnobbing with the lords of venality is my ting...:)

Seems to be a slight increase in sferic frequency off the northwest coast over the last hour or so:

http://www.meteox.nl/h.aspx?r=&jaar=-3&soort=satradar

are you sure that's not just your flatulence from last nights excess:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

756die.jpg

????? :confused:

The strikes look isolated in nature but are slowing but surely moving SE'wards.

Some of those heavier showers are forecast to clip the north coast later on today but whether they will bring a rumble I can't say.

So probably the best location to be is Coleraine! OwenC is alive and well and still posting in other forums, just not here! Maybe a few rumbles this evening will get him back!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056029079

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

I saw the sum total of 0 lightning strikes this summer. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

a bit of snow, a bit of sun, a bit of wind and now a bit of rain with the threat of a bit of thunder and lightning...this half assed **** drives me "a bit" loopy.

C'mon I want some old testament style smiting type of weather...!:mad:

I reckon we could see some fairly hefty and posssibly thundery showers in the northeastern third of the country for a while early tomorrow afternoon as surface heating under a tongue of cold upper air leads to steep lapse rates, which along with the nearby jet, should yield heavy and possibly thundery showers east of a line from Donegal to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

This is why I love the States, guranteed amazing storms. Man I miss it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭IMC042

This Wednesday looks like it has some potential for the south west and west of the country from what i can pick up off these maps.

http://lightningwizard.estofex.org/

Maybe someone with some experience could take a look at them?

IMC042 wrote: »
    This Wednesday looks like it has some potential for the south west and west of the country from what i can pick up off these maps.

http://lightningwizard.estofex.org/

Maybe someone with some experience could take a look at them?

12Z GFS does have fairly good thundery potential for Wednesday afternoon/evening alright.

Looks good alright, could be a good day! The ingredients are there. A deep upper trough above a tongue of rich low level moisture, and steep lapse rates, give a few hundred J of CAPE and an equilibrium temperature below -30°C. The up to 40 knots of deep layer shear should allow longer-lived storms to develop, moving east to northeastwards across most of the country in the afternoon, bringing heavy rain and some hail.

Some almost superadiabatic 0-500m lapse rates give high 1-3km CAPE, yielding the possibility of some small funnels or tornadoes, which the model shows as a max of the significant tornado parameter in the southwest.

• Advertisement

12Z GFS does should fairly good thundery potential for Wednesday afternoon/evening alright.

Thats pretty much what i thought, with our luck though who knows!
    Su Campu wrote: »
    Some almost superadiabatic 0-500m lapse rates give high 1-3km CAPE, yielding the possibility of some small funnels or tornadoes, which the model shows as a max of the significant tornado parameter in the southwest.

I'll be on the lookout for a tornado with my camera then!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Wednesday has the look of a potentially "severe" weather event allright:)

At the request of Deep Easterly.

We are gathered here today...

alxtronics-346102-albums-sam-pic22923-dead-thread.jpg

I guess there is a chance this thread will be ressurected! :D

IMC042 wrote: »
    I guess there is a chance this thread will be ressurected! :D

like a demon!

hand-grave.jpg

Would be more hopeful if it occurred in July or August but still an interesting set up nontheless.

Here is where yr.no is suggesing the trough will lie on early on Wednesday morning:
    128222.jpg

Seems to be a slow moving affair and a good chance it will be more showery in nature. Worth keeping a side eye on anyway.

Yep, does look slow moving alright DE. Potential there for thundery conditions from late Tuesday night to well into Wednesday night.

Models will probably downgrade this to nothing by then though... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

Could this be my last throw at the dice for my first bit of action of 2010?

:pac:not a chance!

Not much CAPE forecast along with this feature, only a slight deepening hinted at directly behind the frontal zone on Wednesday:

ukcapeli.png

More encouragingly, the same model has a 50% 'storm risk' over much of the south and extreme north on the same day:

ukstormrisk.png

although I have no idea how reliable those storm risk charts are, or what they actually mean...:confused:

Yeah seems like a bit of a downgrade for CAPE/LI on the 06Z GFS. I've found that it's usually the areas under and to the east of the lowest LI seem to get the most sparks. But I think those netweather storm risk charts are a bit iffy, bit like the snow risk one.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

:pac:still no chance!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I take those charts with a....
    2009-07-16-ThreeFingerPinch.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement