Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorm/Convective Watch: Summer 2010

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Met Éireann have now removed mention of thunderstorms in their latest area forecasts for the Regional Airports, valid until 1900Z, giving just light to moderate rain showers. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Su Campu wrote: »
    Met Éireann have now removed mention of thunderstorms in their latest area forecasts for the Regional Airports, valid until 1900Z, giving just light to moderate rain showers. :mad:

:(

At least the 11am update on Aertel mentions "some of the showers heavy and prolonged in places in places with a risk of thunder."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Pitch dark here in Galway now with very heavy rain

DSCF2807.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Torrential rain in Galway now very very dark wonder will we get a bit of light :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭snowjon

Su Campu wrote: »
    They put it down as a 30% probability, so don't get too excited just yet!! :P

The chances are increasing a bit - the midday TAFs for both Belfast airports show a 40% of heavy thunderstorm rain :) Fingers crossed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Showers are starting to pop up now. Come onnn I want some action!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

It is getting going in the midwest. Nice line of intense showers developing. Hopefully a nice squall line develops.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Galway always seem to do the best out of these situations. Is Galway the lightning capital of Ireland by any chance?

meanwhile i was getting excited earlier on as the dark clouds built up for 10-15 minutes only for the shower to suddenly go to the left and miss my location:mad: i could hear the faint rumbles of thunder from as it passed by 5-10 miles east of me. ah well hopefully i'll get lucky later.

More strikes recorded.

Keep an eye out for funnels/tornados. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭davehey79

Thunder just started in Longford and has travelled across from Strokestown / Four Mile house direction

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Whats a 'Thunder Plump' with out the thunder? Just a plump I guess.. In that case we are having a very plumpy day here :(

• Registered Users Posts: 26 aghost

Storm building here in south cavan coming from longford direction

http://andvari.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/

Nice cluster of strikes there. I'm suprised were nothing seeing more reports here!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Bit of fireworks here in Trim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭davehey79

seems to have passed over Longford Town now few blinkings of the lights and a few rumbles but didnt see any actual lightning.

Strikes are happening at a rate of 1-2 per minute.

http://andvari.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/elding.txt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Heavy shower with some hail just passed through. I didn't see more than 6 strikes of lightning although the thunder was almost continuously rumbling for about 15 minutes. Worst of it now passed of to the south.

While the current thundery lines move northeastwards, watch out for more action possibly sprouting up in the northwest in the next couple of hours. Could give some teatime rumbles!

SIGMET issued for Ireland
    EISN SIGMET 03 VALID 221420/221720 EINN- EISN SHANNON FIR EMBD TS OBS WI 30NM OF 5400N W00730 TO 5130N W00800 TOP FL330 MOV E AT 15KT NC

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Just back from a drive....large anvil moving up the coast toward Dundalk, huge rain shaft out over the bay....and we just got a peal of thunder.
    [edit] ...and another. Starting to lash here now as well.

Derry Eglington TAF issued at 1402Z gives moderate to heavy showers and thunderstorms this evening.

EGAE 221402Z 2215/2222 21005KT 9999 FEW015 SCT025 TEMPO 2215/2222 5000 SHRA +TSRA BKN014CB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

Really dark here and lashing it down. No thunder though.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

Well i can eat my words now from my last post, i finally got some action just now in Louth!
    Big dirty cloud came rolling in loads with of twisting movement at the base, but no funnel. Then a nice crack of thunder and a strike near by.
    After that first strike i got monsoon type rain for about 5mins with a few rumbles of thundered before the cell moved north-east over dundalk bay with thunder still being heard from it:D
    First cell of the year, yeah!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

Just had 4 or 5 flashes of lightning in and around Edenderry the last half hour its been years since iv seen lightning around here..its starting to lash rain now..the thunder was loud as hell!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

skipz wrote: »
    Well i can eat my words now from my last post, i finally got some action just now in Louth!
    Big dirty cloud came rolling in loads with of twisting movement at the base, but no funnel. Then a nice crack of thunder and a strike near by.
    After that first strike i got monsoon type rain for about 5mins with a few rumbles of thundered before the cell moved north-east over dundalk bay with thunder still being heard from it:D
    First cell of the year, yeah!

Same one I'm seeing...flirting with the coast but headed for the mournes I think. NO more thunder since and the rain has eased a lot.
    22 C here as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Yea a few hefty cells around Louth region, and a few more notable ones forming and moving into Killkenny and Kildare.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

More activity right over Trim now, flashes with thunder about half a second after. POURING down.

Wind picked up in the space of minutes. Literally like someone changed seasons with a switch. Right squall at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

Wertz wrote: »
    Same one I'm seeing...flirting with the coast but headed for the mournes I think. NO more thunder since and the rain has eased a lot.
    22 C here as well.

Iam just after hearing a rumble, might be more on the way.
    Wind has gone aswel, weird?

• Advertisement

Thunderstorm at Derry Airport at 1550

EGAE 221450Z 24002KT 9000 -TSRA FEW011 SCT018CB BKN028 18/15 Q1006

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement