Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorm/Convective Watch: Summer 2010

Options
1495051525355»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Su Campu wrote: »
    Here's a short timelapse of that thundery system approaching this evening. The sound is part of the recording, played back at normal speed for you to enjoy. Nothing like the sound of heavy rain and thunder rumbling away in the background :)
    maybe a question for a different forum but how did you do that? I made a video of some nice convection 2 weeks ago, about 26 mins long, and want to get it down to 30 seconds or so..

Fionagus wrote: »
    There were several loud rumbles of thunder during a heavy downpour before lunch on the east side of Galway city.

Maybe I couldn't hear it with the kids bouncing around in the back of the car while Mrs. redsteve was in the shop...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

maybe a question for a different forum but how did you do that? I made a video of some nice convection 2 weeks ago, about 26 mins long, and want to get it down to 30 seconds or so..

Just import it into say Windows Movie Maker. Select "Effects", and select "Speed Up, Double" as many times as you need (to go from 26 mins to 30 seconds means you select it 5 or 6 times)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Maybe I couldn't hear it with the kids bouncing around in the back of the car while Mrs. redsteve was in the shop...:)
    Out of the country at the mo and missing all the fun but I was on the phone to my dad just after 12 and he remarked on the loudness of the thunder several times. Hopefully there'll be some more coming your way later tonight :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

As promised, here's the best (and even these aren't great!) of a bad lot of pictures I took from the thundery shower that I mentioned earlier this evening. While this shower didn't produce any fireworks itself, there had been a few claps earlier on from one that passed off to the north/northeast of here. This particular one produced a lot of rain, though, and looked really dark and menacing and the way the cloud was swirling around beforehand and what I thought looked like the possible beginnings of a funnel (probably just my eyes playing tricks, though! :D) at one stage was enough to make me dig out the camera and try to get a few shots.

Unfortunately, the camera is crap (not to mention the cameraman! :D) and tends to over-expose things and make them look brighter than they are so some of the pictures don't give a proper idea of how dark the sky really was but I hope you get the idea anyway.

(part 1)

• Advertisement

(part 2)

(and one final one! :D)

That rain seems to be very slow moving coming in over Clifden towards Galway, or else it's just because I'm watching the radar in anticipation.
    Some intense bursts in there by the looks of things on the radar at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

delw wrote: »
    :mad: i didnt see any of them,taut i seen flash to the east out of corner of my eye but no thunder so not to sure,friend in finglas text me to say he had thunder &it was moving my way but broke up before it got here,amazing how quick these tings disapate

On mobile boards (link) this post got 4.2 BILLION thanks. Has to be a boards record !!!

http://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=68142108#post68142108

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

irish1967 wrote: »
    On mobile boards (link) this post got 4.2 BILLION thanks. Has to be a boards record !!!

http://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=68142108#post68142108
    :eek:

• Advertisement

As promised, here's the best (and even these aren't great!) of a bad lot of pictures I took from the thundery shower that I mentioned earlier this evening. While this shower didn't produce any fireworks itself, there had been a few claps earlier on from one that passed off to the north/northeast of here. This particular one produced a lot of rain, though, and looked really dark and menacing and the way the cloud was swirling around beforehand and what I thought looked like the possible beginnings of a funnel (probably just my eyes playing tricks, though! :D) at one stage was enough to make me dig out the camera and try to get a few shots.

Unfortunately, the camera is crap (not to mention the cameraman! :D) and tends to over-expose things and make them look brighter than they are so some of the pictures don't give a proper idea of how dark the sky really was but I hope you get the idea anyway.

(part 1)

What are you on about, they're great photos!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Anyone any idea how much rainfall there has been at Casement in the last 24hrs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭snowjon

Heavy shower here in Bangor at the moment :)

I've counted 425 individual lightning strikes on the island of Ireland yesterday afternoon and evening. See attached list (there are way too many for me to plot on a map this time!!!)

EDIT: Actually, forget the first two, they're were on the continent. So that makes "only" 423 strikes!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Congrats to those who stuck it lucky yester! :D Some great pics and vids posted up. Had a pretty vicious shower here around this time yesterday but alas, no thunder. Ah well...

Yesterday's met eireann rain radar sequence from 11.30am to around 9.00pm tracks the progress of the showers moving west to east nicely:

Vedur.ie strike maps for yesterday afternoon and early evening attached also just to keep them on record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Fionagus wrote: »
    Out of the country at the mo and missing all the fun but I was on the phone to my dad just after 12 and he remarked on the loudness of the thunder several times. Hopefully there'll be some more coming your way later tonight :)

Spectacular thunder and lightning in manchester since 2pm
    Not feeling so left out now :D:D

Seeing as we've now passed the equinox and are officially in Autumn, should this thread be closed an Autumn one opened?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Nasty looking clump of showers to the NE of Ireland at the mo:

128663.gif

Only one sferic recorded so far, but who knows, maybe a few more as this band moves down over east Leinster later on?????

Agree with Su Campu, this thread should be put to death. Time for a fresh start.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

Nasty looking clump of showers to the NE of Ireland at the mo:

128663.gif

Only one sferic recorded so far, but who knows, maybe a few more as this band moves down over east Leinster later on?????

Agree with Su Campu, this thread should be put to death. Time for a fresh start.

Nothing in them, very heavy rain with them though.

• Advertisement

Met Éireann in their 18Z Aviation Chart have the occlusion lying roughly Tipperary-Lough Neagh-Glasgow, moving southwards at 10 knots. They give the associated weather as occasional moderate showers with a risk of thunderstorms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭MrDarcy

There's a big filthy black cloud moving in over Lucan area right now... Just heard a rattle of thunder there...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Please continue discussions here in the autumn thread:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement