Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Logbook issue ~~~~ Help

• 02-06-2010 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi guys, I decide to buy a car from a garage tomorrow and check some final points. the guy in garage told me they don't have the logbooks, and they don't do it like the old way anymore, and they all do them online now. I never ever heard that you can do a logbook online, but he agreed to put down that i'll receive the logbook in two weeks in to the hire purchase agreement i have with the bank.

should i trust him?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

standard procedure - the logbook gets posted out from shannon after the dealer sends in the forms. There was a recent thread here about it

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Why _So_Serious?

jackie.du wrote: »
    Hi guys, I decide to buy a car from a garage tomorrow and check some final points. the guy in garage told me they don't have the logbooks, and they don't do it like the old way anymore, and they all do them online now. I never ever heard that you can do a logbook online, but he agreed to put down that i'll receive the logbook in two weeks in to the hire purchase agreement i have with the bank.

should i trust him?

Happened to friend of mine, took 2 months to get the logbook of dealer after constant calls and visits.
    He got it in the end though, ask him to put it in writing on receipt that log book due or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

jackie.du wrote: »
    i'll receive the logbook in two weeks in to the hire purchase agreement i have with the bank.

So he's using the logbook as some kind of guarantee then? Sounds fishy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

If it helps this new process seems to have sped things up - my wife picked up a car last Wednesday - the new VLC (logbook) arrived in the post yesterday.

Paddy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The dealer should still have a hard copy of the logbook and is required to file it after the change of ownership even if the change of ownership is done online.

The dealer needs the serial number of the logbook to access the car on the online system.

Be present when the online change of ownership is done, and tell the dealer you want to see the change being done online before you take the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jackie.du

Thanks for the advice guys,you are very helpful.

and many of you might know, the dealer is well known sarafeild motors in kileen road..

he told me the receipt will cover for me to drive it without tax the car because if i don't receive the logbook, i can't tax the car. but by law, that's not the case. any one heard about this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Think there's a form the dealer needs to complete in order for you to drive the car untaxed until the logbook is received. Alternatively, drop into the Gards and get the form there.

I had a similar situation when my logbook was lost in the post for my imported car, so I got the form. Gard signed it at the same time, then I took it down to the Tax Office in Model Farm Road. Mind you, I also kept a copy in the car in case of a tug! :D

When I picked up my new car a couple of weeks ago, the dealer had the form all ready, but didn't realise until the last minute the car was already taxed, so I didn't have to worry about it...

that form thing is a load of rubbish, if theres no tax you can't drive it. simple as.

That dealer has come up here for not getting logbooks out if I remember correctly.

My guess is that they have no logbook for the car and will give you the runaround, even before the dealers name came up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Any link to the car in question op?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

colm_mcm wrote: »
    that form thing is a load of rubbish, if theres no tax you can't drive it. simple as.

That dealer has come up here for not getting logbooks out if I remember correctly.

My guess is that they have no logbook for the car and will give you the runaround, even before the dealers name came up.

Sorry, but I'm not sure that's true either. If you can prove that you've just bought/imported the car and are still waiting for the log book, as I understood from the Tax Office, you can get the form signed by the Gards (Can't remember what the number is, but can have a look), then you CAN drive until the logbbok is received and the car is taxed....That's what the Gard told me too!!

The dealer sounds like a naughty boy if he has previous for this. Is there any way you can report him to someone like Trading Standards (not sure what is is here)?

• Advertisement

This was thw case years ago but its at the discretion of the guard. You'd be in a better position if you had the order form for the car you just bought. I have a motor trade background and know of no magic form aa is described above

I texted him and require that, he haven't come back to me yet, but thanks for the heads up colm.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The dealer should still have a hard copy of the logbook and is required to file it after the change of ownership even if the change of ownership is done online.

The dealer needs the serial number of the logbook to access the car on the online system.

Be present when the online change of ownership is done, and tell the dealer you want to see the change being done online before you take the car.

just spoke with the guards, they told me the same thing, if I'm buying the car from the garage, then i'm ok to drive it until i get the logbook and tax the car. however, that's not been the case on the book... but if guards told me that, i don't think there will be any issue with that answer.

Think there's a form the dealer needs to complete in order for you to drive the car untaxed until the logbook is received. Alternatively, drop into the Gards and get the form there.

I had a similar situation when my logbook was lost in the post for my imported car, so I got the form. Gard signed it at the same time, then I took it down to the Tax Office in Model Farm Road. Mind you, I also kept a copy in the car in case of a tug! :D

When I picked up my new car a couple of weeks ago, the dealer had the form all ready, but didn't realise until the last minute the car was already taxed, so I didn't have to worry about it...

http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/5-Series/525-SE-4/201019197988275/advert?channel=CARS

this is the link, it was a company car so such high mileage. but i got some deal off it..

Any link to the car in question op?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,465 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

No log book, run away. The dealer should have this without doubt.

Advertisement